Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance

• 07-02-2008 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to rent some grazing but the owner said I will have to get liability insurance, does anyone know how much approx. this will cost? The owner doesn't know, also what insurance companies would provide it? The horse will also be sharing with her 2 pet donkeys if that has any effect on the insurance, and the field isn't adjacent to a main road. (there is a lane going up to the field off a main road though)

Thanks in advance for any info! :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

If you join the BHS as a gold member they do public liability insurance.

Just remenber if you are grazing your horse with donkeys that they carry lung worm but show no ill effects of same just be careful and sort out a worming programmme it may be best consult a good equine vet for advice on this.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Thanks for that, are there any normal companies that do it though? I don't really want to register a horse with the BHS since I might only be loaning one..... Thanks for the advice about the donkeys as well, will have to try and figure out a worming plan that will do the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

You join the BHS as a member. Don't need to register the horse as far as I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wombles

Think NFU might do it but not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

With the BHS you don't register the horse, just yourself.

http://www.bhsireland.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Thanks! Will check that out, I presumed you had to register the horse as well :o Wombles, whats the NFU? do they have a website/contact no.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wombles

Its the NFU insurance. Our farm public liability is thro them - but not sure if they do individual insurances. Will have to ask my dad!!:) I know it covers us if anyone has an accident on the land.

I am a BHS member so that covers if my horse injures anyone when I am out. I had to register anyway to do the BHS exams as you cant do them if you arent a member.

Dont think it matters much where the field is situated because horses might get out and do damage or some twit might go in and get hurt.

Monflat - good advice about lungworm!

Advertisement