Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland driving on the "wrong side of the road"

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

it would probably open us up to more cars and imports etc.
    Don't most of the cars on the road here come from Japan already?

robinph wrote: »
    Don't most of the cars on the road here come from Japan already?
    Yep! there is a good secondhand market here for Japanese cars.

I was in Burma a few years ago, they used to drive on the left (former GB colony) then they changed to the right, but continued to buy their (secondhand) cars from Japan & Malasia.

About 80% of the cars on the road there have the steering wheel on the "wrong side". Some Governments are stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would be nice and handy if it was unified, but its logistically next to impossible so not worth thinking about.

thats right, i used the word logistically, oh yeah!

Yes, think of all the things that would need to be changed and the logistics involved! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

kevmy wrote: »
    If someone gives me a better reason that helping tourists drive on the 'wrong' side of the road I'll will write to my TD and get fully behind the idea

All the nice muscle cars you could import from the USA and be sitting on the correct side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

rb_ie wrote: »
    Surprise surprise, yet another retarded idea by a member of Fianna Fail. Lets just hope this 63 year olds life ends quick enough to stop him wasting any more of the tax payers money.

QFT.

Miles ftw.
    LHS Driving ftw.
    Bending over backwards to suck Europe off ftl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Actually just remembered I encountered a Donegal reg car
    practicing Donies suggestion at around 1.30am this morning
    on the Athlone/Ballykeeran-Ballymahon Road.

Luckily they were a good bit away from me when they realised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Cassidy is a f***ing idiot.
    He neglects to consider the implications of everyone driving RHD cars being unable to overtake safely.......
    The redesign of a number of road junctions, having to turn every signpost in the country around etc.
    If somebody had suggested it back in the late 60's it might be remotely feasible, but as usual DC is 40 years to late, Besides he's probably demanding the research cos he has some mate doing road feasability studies. He should be fecked out of the oireachtas for this kind of retarded contribution:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Lazare wrote: »
    We should probably phase it in, maybe trucks and buses first, then if it works, cars a few months later.

Ha :)
    Then again we are talking about Ireland- stranger things have happened.

Maybe we could get this guy to pilot the project and report back on his findings..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Tragedy wrote: »
    Good I reckon, many more places to import cars from, more models available and be in line with the rest of europe(excepting UK)

Tis about time, lets be honest

QFT
    +1
    gg pld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Is it true that the Quays in Dublin used to run in the opposite direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

He has a fine head of hair for a 65 year old :confused: has our Donie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Old thread and someone's probably been in before me with this but I'm nt reading all 65 odd posts - I wouldnty mind changing the sides of the road, what I would mind is doing it just to facilitate immigrants and tourists as per the OP's post. We should obviously look after ourselves foremost/first, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bartholomewbinn

rb_ie wrote: »
    Surprise surprise, yet another retarded idea by a member of Fianna Fail. Lets just hope this 63 year olds life ends quick enough to stop him wasting any more of the tax payers money.

He’s the original gombeen man, Fianna fail, pioneer pin, and to cap it all (pardon the pun) an extremely dodgy rug. Anyone who wears a rug just cannot be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

zuutroy wrote: »

Yes. During the Big Snow of '82 (that's 1982) they were like that. I still remember being on a 51 bus on the north quays in heavy snow and the bus bouncing and skewing around in the rutted snow.

Ah, them was the days when winter was winter, men were men and women kept house.

I can't recall the exact date of the switch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

zuutroy wrote: »
    But if both sides of the river were still just one way then it doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I cannot put into words how stupid this idea is.

'Oh look, people who are used to driving on the other side of the road are causing accidents! Lets change what side of the road we drive on!' Then the majority of people will not be used to the side of the road we drive on. Surely that can only REDUCE the number of accidents!

How can that make any sense to anyone, anywhere, ever?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bartholomewbinn

the dee wrote: »
    I cannot put into words how stupid this idea is.

'Oh look, people who are used to driving on the other side of the road are causing accidents! Lets change what side of the road we drive on!' Then the majority of people will not be used to the side of the road we drive on. Surely that can only REDUCE the number of accidents!

How can that make any sense to anyone, anywhere, ever?!?

Your talking about a Fianna Fail guy who wears a rug, nuff said!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Tragedy wrote: »
    Good I reckon, many more places to import cars from, more models available and be in line with the rest of europe(excepting UK)

Tis about time, lets be honest
    Fantastic, and more VRT on top of it no doubt... Yipeee!

Stupid stupid idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

So when Jim McDaid was caught flying up the dual carraigeway the wrong way he was actually on a fact finding mission.

It all becomes clear. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

TJJP wrote: »

One telling quote:
    "I know when I go to America it takes me five or six days to adjust."

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I'm just surprised he didn't mention the possibilty of a 6 month transition period.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Is it true that if you drink too much, you can drive on both sides of the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does Nicole Kidnap get naked in this film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

They can feck off, they should change to our way.

FunkZ wrote: »
    They can feck off, they should change to our way.

Our way or the highway......... .

How times have changed:

Irish Times, Friday, March 30, 2001

Leader of Seanad drove in bus lane
    The leader of the Seanad, Mr Donie Cassidy, was stopped by a garda while driving in a bus lane yesterday morning, but was allowed to continue on his way to Leinster House without sanction. Mr Cassidy, from Castlepollard, Co Westmeath, was stopped for driving in a bus lane on the Navan Road in Dublin. He was on his way to the Seanad where the main debate was on motor insurance for young people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Dinter wrote: »
    So when Jim McDaid was caught flying up the dual carraigeway the wrong way he was actually on a fact finding mission.

It all becomes clear. . .

:D
    ROFLMFAO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Aren't ipods made in california??
    No, the box says that they're designed in California. They're made by chinese wage-slaves.

Advertisement