Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its certainly not magic and its certainly not smart

Options
  • 07-02-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Ok here goes moved into a new place last summer and had that "high speed" irish broadband hahahahaha. Got a pain in my balls with it so shopped around for a fixed line provider as it would be better than any of the wireless options because where i live is a bit of a black hole for wireless signals mobile and otherwise.

So came across Smart and their 7mbs broad band so called them up and ordered it on the 22nd of october last year. well after 1 month i finally got the modem delivered but as soon as i tried it it didnt work. I established that it asnt the modem or the laptop but the phone line so rang smart and told them they said they will reset the server from their end and to call them back if it didnt work. Naturally it didnt so rang them again and told them they said they will get an eircom engineer out to check the line, and after 2 days he came out and said it should be fine.

Suprise suprise it wasnt so i rang Smart again (by this time it was the 16th of december) and told them and they said they will send out their own guy,
    he came out and said its a line fault but cant do anything about it without premmision from Eircom so the new year came in and still no sign of Eircom or Smart. 8/1/08 had recieved a bill from Smart and they happily took the money but i got that back with help from my bank and then they sent me a letter saying my payment was missed despite the fact i told them im not paying for somrthing i dont have

2 days later i just decided i had enough and rang smart and told them to cancel with no charge as i have got no service they said ok thats fair enough and did.

Now my current problem Smart still have the phone line and wont release it down to an Eircom fault according to 1 of smarts so called customer service guys/girls, but eircom say its down to smart. Now no other provider will provde me anything including Eircom until smart release the line. i have been jumping between Eircom and Smart and neither will change their position on who is delaying the release of the line and well im at the end of my rope with it.
    I live in Dublin 8 near clanbrassil street so im on the dolphins barn exchange. i just want to know if any one has had a similar problem or any ideas on what to do. I am going to prepare a letter for comreg but i really dont think they will do much bcause apparently broadband isnt actually regulated only the companies are.

Ps sorry about the essay

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Do write comreg. In the meantime if NTL is an option for you you could go for that. I live near there and it's fantastic, it's meant to be worse in some areas but I've found it great here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

stevenmu wrote: »
    Do write comreg. In the meantime if NTL is an option for you you could go for that. I live near there and it's fantastic, it's meant to be worse in some areas but I've found it great here.

Sadly its not and wont be till march at the earliest at least thats when they start upgrading the areas for broadband according to them, already a digi tv customer so i would be more than able for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Eircom should be able to cut Smart out of the equation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

Try a post here and you might get some good advice. Their technical staff answer questions here and they might be more knowledgable in the situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

eircom mess around with people transferring to Smart all the time. Contact ComReg.

I had similar nonsense and sent registered letters all over the place, including Bertie and the Minister - all of a sudden eircom managed to stop holding things up.

I would go through the same hassle again if it meant having Smart at the end of it. Have you raised this on the Smart forums?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

The thing is there seems to be a problem with the phone line but as im currently in limbo ie not a smart customer and not an eircom one either, i cant get the line checked and fixed by anyone until this mess is sorted out.
    I currently feel like im being denied broadband by both companies and it sucks i want my line back with eircom so i can get them to fix it and then i go to someone else once its fixed.

Only because eircom have monopolised the market to their advantage. and this forces all other companies to get eircoms premission to fix it or to get eircom themselves to fix it. Its a complete farce and wouldnt happen any where else but ireland. It just goes to show that broadband is regulated but by eircom and not comreg

I dont like eircom because they are slow / overpriced compared to most other providers. 3mbps for 48.99 and then 25 euro line rental no thanks, i want a good download speed and a high cap or unlimited one if possible

BT offer their 8mbps in my area but they wont touch me till i have an eircom line or at least smart release the line. THANK YOU SMART AND EIRCOM FOR THE BRILLIANT SERVICE ON BOTH YOU PARTS

Once again sorry about the rant and thanks for the replies

Sorry to dredge this back up but due to my limited internet access at the moment i cant reply to often. Well got home from my weeks holiday to find a bill and letter from smart saying i owe them 180 euro ha now thats just the final straw i rang them on monday to demand answers and they said that the bills should be ignored for now ????????????

they have recieved my cancellation letter but still havent actioned it over 1 month after getting it now this is a joke i told the lady on the phone to action it there and then but she said she couldnt but never gave a reason i said i want it canceled and be able to get broadband from another provider by friday the 22nd i mean be able to at least place an order. i just dont see this happening does any one have any suggestions i have done a letter for com reg and i send it tomorrow but i dont see them doing much either.
    Would there be a point in going legal or could i go legal

any help or guidence would be great cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You need to write to Smart and use the title "OFFICIAL COMPLAINT", follow up with a phone call and mention that you want to lodge an "OFFICIAL COMPLAINT" and ask for a complaint reference number.

If the issue isn't resolved, send the details of your smart account etc to comreg.

You have to exhaust the service provider's complaints process before Comreg can jump in.

Advertisement