Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dixons return policy

Options
  • 07-02-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

hi i was about to buy an electrical item in dixons today, when i went 2 purchase it i just asked about their return policy. i was under the impression that legally u can return an item for a full refund as long as this is within 14 days. dixons said they wont give a refund if the product is opened any help thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

No, they are under no obligation to return it, unless it is faulty.

You'll probably get a refund within 7 days and up to 28 day exchange, depending on how nice you are when returning it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You are not LEGALLY entitled to return any item to any shop if you decide you dont want it. It must be: faulty or not fit for purpose. Some shops do allow you to return items but it is down to company policy. You are not ENTITLED to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Argos is where you should be going.
    No quibble 14 day return policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Dixons seem to be notorious for not taking things back. Bought an i-pod alarm clock dock for my boyfriend right before xmas only to find, on opening it, that the settings into which you were supposed to slot the i-pod didn't fit properly and wouldn't play it. (The sound was also appalling and it wasn't cheap).

So I went back in declaring that the item was clearly faulty and the manager on at the time was incredibly rude. He actually smirked at me and informed me that once the packaging is open they have a no returns policy. Fair enough if I'd just changed my mind on the brand/type etc but this actually wouldn't work, and obviously there's no way of knowing this until the package has been opened and the product has been tried out. (They also had a huge sign up at the counter advising customers to open and try products out before xmas day to avoid disappointment. Strange advice considering an opened package was then deemed unreturnable).

I had to fight my corner for ages just to get the guy to agree to let me get something else to the value of the i-pod dock instead of it. My understanding was always that if a product is genuinely faulty you're entitled to a replacement or cash refund - in this situation there were no more i-pod docks of this brand left in stock and I wouldn't have accepted one anyway at that stage.

So, my advice would be to make sure if you're purchasing anything in there that you're sure you're happy with the brand/type before opening it. If there's a fault with it, be prepared to have a fight on your hands returning it. I'm not the only person to experience this with this particular company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Damien Sreenan

By law you are as a customer entitled to the 3 'Rs' when you purchase something, Refund, Repair and Return.

Once Dixons offer these then they are are obeying the law.
    1-7 days - Refund (unopened product)
    1-28 days - Return (but once they offer an exchange they are in the right - which they do, once your product is unopened or if its faulty)
    28 days - 6 years after purchase - The store are obliged to repair your product up to 6 years after purchase, in the first year its free of course but after that you can demand a repair but you'll have to pay for it

Basically once you open your product you cant return it unless it develops a fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

By law you are as a customer entitled to the 3 'Rs' when you purchase something, Refund, Repair and Return. [/QUOTE
    Only if the item is faulty, if you just don't like it, it's up to the retailer if he takes it back or not. And even if it is faulty, it's up to the shop to deide which of the 3 Rs it is giving to you.
    1-28 days - Return (but once they offer an exchange they are in the right - which they do, once your product is unopened or if its faulty)
    28 days - 6 years after purchase - The store are obliged to repair your product up to 6 years after purchase, in the first year its free of course but after that you can demand a repair but you'll have to pay for it

Basically once you open your product you cant return it unless it develops a fault
    You can never return a prodyct unless it's faulty or it's store policy. Just because it is unopened and you bought it last week, doesn't entitle you for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pookie82 wrote: »
    Dixons seem to be notorious for not taking things back. Bought an i-pod alarm clock dock for my boyfriend right before xmas only to find, on opening it, that the settings into which you were supposed to slot the i-pod didn't fit properly and wouldn't play it. (The sound was also appalling and it wasn't cheap).

So I went back in declaring that the item was clearly faulty and the manager on at the time was incredibly rude. He actually smirked at me and informed me that once the packaging is open they have a no returns policy. Fair enough if I'd just changed my mind on the brand/type etc but this actually wouldn't work, and obviously there's no way of knowing this until the package has been opened and the product has been tried out. (They also had a huge sign up at the counter advising customers to open and try products out before xmas day to avoid disappointment. Strange advice considering an opened package was then deemed unreturnable).

I had to fight my corner for ages just to get the guy to agree to let me get something else to the value of the i-pod dock instead of it. My understanding was always that if a product is genuinely faulty you're entitled to a replacement or cash refund - in this situation there were no more i-pod docks of this brand left in stock and I wouldn't have accepted one anyway at that stage.

So, my advice would be to make sure if you're purchasing anything in there that you're sure you're happy with the brand/type before opening it. If there's a fault with it, be prepared to have a fight on your hands returning it. I'm not the only person to experience this with this particular company.
    typical "SHOPKEEPER" attitude of denying consumer rights.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can we just start to lock threads or ban users who keep asking this stupid question and assuming there rights without fiurst using the search function?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

if we did that across boards, there would be only 20 threads. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cabaal wrote: »
    Can we just start to lock threads or ban users who keep asking this stupid question and assuming there rights without fiurst using the search function?
    Or simply start with sticky a very short list of the actual rights in non laywer language ;) (if no one steps up for it I'll write something up but it was a while since I read up on the law so I hold the right to add errors in the first edition!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I with you on this. the same misinformation gets peddled on a weekly basis.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    typical "SHOPKEEPER" attitude of denying consumer rights.

You're assuming that the item was faulty. More than likely it wasnt. It didnt fit the iPod she had but different iPods have different connectors so it was probably for a different model iPod. Of course which models it did fit was probably printed on the back of the packaging but people find it easier to not check what they are buying and just moan about 'consumer rights' instead.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I was thinking about this. I think a sticky would be more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SDooM wrote: »

There is a nice sticky at the top of this forum - Your consumer rights / Where to find out more / Who to complain to - thanks to Dub13.

I think that it's well written and clear. Further information can be had from the consumer friendly www.consumerconnect.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

SDooM wrote: »

Yeah it needs to be done something similar has worked ok in Broadband, I've gotten a good few PM's from people thanking me for the helpful info in the Charter FAQ sticky thats up in Broadband

It just gets annoying when you see the same crap people posted bby people who believe they know there rights when in reality they couldn't be more wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

dudara wrote: »
    There is a nice sticky at the top of this forum - Your consumer rights / Where to find out more / Who to complain to - thanks to Dub13.

I think that it's well written and clear. Further information can be had from the consumer friendly www.consumerconnect.ie

ahem ... * clears throat * ...

I spent a day rewriting that sticky over christmas - throw a bit of the thanks my way!!!

ahem ... * clears throat * ...

I spent a day rewriting that sticky over christmas - throw a bit of the thanks my way!!!

THANKS!!

But i fear there may be a correllation between the people who are absolutely certain they have rights that they dont and people who dont read stickies.

any chance of getting more strict in relation to people not reading the stickys or people giving out clearly wrong info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So I went back in declaring that the item was clearly faulty and the manager on at the time was incredibly rude. He actually smirked at me and informed me that once the packaging is open they have a no returns policy. Fair enough if I'd just changed my mind on the brand/type etc but this actually wouldn't work, and obviously there's no way of knowing this until the package has been opened and the product has been tried out.

There are many different types of ipod and they have different connectors.
    Did you check the label on the box to see was your ipod compatible? I can pretty much gurantee the box would have shown which versions of ipods it worked with.
    Sounds like you didn't do your research and went into the shop demanding your "rights" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

By law you are as a customer entitled to the 3 'Rs' when you purchase something, Refund, Repair and Return.

eh where are you getting your facts from??

28 days-6 years repair tell me where in ireland will do that for me please

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    There are many different types of ipod and they have different connectors.
    Did you check the label on the box to see was your ipod compatible? I can pretty much gurantee the box would have shown which versions of ipods it worked with.
    Sounds like you didn't do your research and went into the shop demanding your "rights" :rolleyes:

it took me a while to figure out why somebody elses name was next to my post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

E@gle. wrote: »
    eh where are you getting your facts from??

28 days-6 years repair tell me where in ireland will do that for me please

indeed, has anyone got a link to this 6 year rule?

Beano wrote: »
    You're assuming that the item was faulty. More than likely it wasnt. It didnt fit the iPod she had but different iPods have different connectors so it was probably for a different model iPod. Of course which models it did fit was probably printed on the back of the packaging but people find it easier to not check what they are buying and just moan about 'consumer rights' instead.

Couple of people here jumping to unfair conclusions. Yes I did check the outside of the box - I was hardly going to buy a product that was unsuitable for the i-pod intended - it specified that it was indeed suitable for the i-pod. Even the little fitting specified it was the correct one. I'd hardly have gotten an offer of replacement if I'd bought the wrong one.

But nice to know there are people on here quick to jump to the conclusion that I was just some spanner returning a product I hadn't checked first. Best not "moan" in future. Thought that's what this forum was for. Cheers.:mad:

Couple of people here jumping to unfair conclusions. Yes I did check the outside of the box - I was hardly going to buy a product that was unsuitable for the i-pod intended - it specified that it was indeed suitable for the i-pod. Even the little fitting specified it was the correct one. I'd hardly have gotten an offer of replacement if I'd bought the wrong one.

But nice to know there are people on here quick to jump to the conclusion that I was just some spanner returning a product I hadn't checked first. Best not "moan" in future. Thought that's what this forum was for. Cheers.:mad:

well you did say

=

so it wasnt much of a leap to thinking it wasnt the right one for your ipod.

The setting into which I was supposed to slot the i-pod wouldn't fit into the dock, therefore the i-pod wouldn't click properly into IT, and wouldn't play. And for the final time I CHECKED IT TWICE IT WAS THE CORRECT ONE ACCORDING TO THE BOX AND THE SETTING ITSELF.

Apologies for not painfully spelling it out so as to avoid accusations of being an idiot marching back to enforce her consumer rights without first checking the box. There's no need to be so quick to be an assuming smart*ss. Next time how about asking the person in question if they're sure they checked the product etc as opposed to coming on giving out about people who don't bother to check the back of the box, even though I am not one of those people, I never implied that I was, and I'd hardly have gotten a successful exchange if I hadn't proved it's fault (especially to this particular manager).

Oh and "you're assuming that the item was faulty. More than likely it wasn't." WTF???? Who are you to say??? I returned it as it was unfit for purpose intended and faulty on purchase, a fact the shop themselves agreed with, yet you know better????

i think you need to calm down pookie, you do yourself a mischief. No need for the bad language either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Take a deep breath here everyone.

dudara

Beano wrote: »
    i think you need to calm down pookie, you do yourself a mischief. No need for the bad language either.

Likewise, I would prefer if you would inquire in future about the facts before making assumptions and eye rolling etc. Your comments about the product being, in all likelihood, fine were rather misguided and unfair. If you have a gripe with people coming on here and giving out before checking out their rights then that's another issue but you shouldn't take it out on posters who are just sharing experiences.

• Advertisement

Likewise, I would prefer if you would inquire in future about the facts before making assumptions and eye rolling etc. Your comments about the product being, in all likelihood, fine were rather misguided and unfair. If you have a gripe with people coming on here and giving out before checking out their rights then that's another issue but you shouldn't take it out on posters who are just sharing experiences.

point taken. i apologise for any upset. it was not intentional.

Advertisement