Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl going extreme

Options
  • 07-02-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

Big news well I think it is anyway NTL are going to introduce higher download speeds for there broadband packages, which will be as follows

broadband express going from 3mb to 6mb
    and better still the ultra pack going from 6mb to 12mb
    and the price stays the same:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

campo wrote: »
    Big news well I think it is anyway NTL are going to introduce higher download speeds for there broadband packages, which will be as follows

broadband express going from 3mb to 6mb
    and better still the ultra pack going from 6mb to 12mb
    and the price stays the same:)

where did you here that ?

great news for me if it's true as i have the 6 mb broadband at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

i work for them they announced it to us today going live soon
    plus HD is coming in soon also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Campo,
    Was any mention made regarding uppings for the 1 Meg and 2Meg packages?
    Thanks.

afraid not 1meg staying as is and they are 2meg is no longer available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Any chance they're going to increase the pathetic cap, or increase upload speed as well?
    Pretty awesome news anyway, can't complain about this kind of freebie:D

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    Any chance they're going to increase the pathetic cap, or increase upload speed as well?
    Pretty awesome news anyway, can't complain about this kind of freebie:D

im sure the upload speed will be increased and cap what cap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Woo that is good news, particuarly after my bill with them has gotten bigger because the 'promotion' is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Me thinks its time for a switch from Eircom, has anyone heard of them doing anything similar? If not, they'll have a call from me tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Campo, how soon is 'soon'??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I had Chorus 6Mb in Naas a while ago and had to dump it. It was a terrible service. Campo, I don't suppose you know if they have "fixed" their network? If they have, I would like to go back as I don't want a phone line and Smart aren't in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

IrishTLR wrote: »
    I had Chorus 6Mb in Naas a while ago and had to dump it. It was a terrible service. Campo, I don't suppose you know if they have "fixed" their network? If they have, I would like to go back as I don't want a phone line and Smart aren't in the area.
    Oftentimes it's just a case of a certain area not having enough bandwidth to cope with demand. I hope you complained to them, because from experience they've always been quick to boost the signal in an area experiencing such slow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I'm sure the cap will be decreased yet again.

First no cap
    Second 30gb download cap
    Third 30gb download AND upload cap

I actually downloaded more on 512k than I ever did on 3meg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Good news for me too, but what about upload speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Well this is great news :)

It looks like it has to be in response to the recent upgrades announced by Eircom,
    and its about time. (For Eircom & NTL).

A big thx for the heads up Campo but can you give us anymore info ??

Upload speeds any idea of a timeframe, are we looking at weeks or months ?

And also any new info on the caps and enforcement of them ??

Thx in advance

Misty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I had ntl when it was temporarily increased to 10Meg at start of 06 (I think it was).

At the time the network couldnt really handle it and the only time you got anything like the true speed was early in the morning.

However Chello offer up to 20Meg in many euro countries so theres no reason they couldnt do 12 here (and 20 also if they put their mind to it) - but it will need to be managed carefully.

A switch to DOCSIS 3 would help here -any word on this?
    Virgin will be offering 50Meg in the UK over DOCSIS 3 this year which shows what could be done with it

Oftentimes it's just a case of a certain area not having enough bandwidth to cope with demand. I hope you complained to them, because from experience they've always been quick to boost the signal in an area experiencing such slow down.

While I would tend to agree that they can be quickish to "boost the signal" or whatever they do, but that only lasts until someone else rings up to complain in my area. Then they F me up and give my stuff to the other complainant. I have heard from ex NTL engineers that this happens on a daily basis because they don't have enough equipment on their end.

I have complained on a weekly basis [sometimes daily], sometimes ringing straight through to the head of the department [she gave me her DDI and email address], once it came very close to bringing them to court. All down to the fact that, and they admitted to, they were charging me for a service and them not being able to provide the service with no ETA to when they could reliably provide the service.

One Chorus tech admitted that it was down to the fact that UPC took over NTL and Chorus and were doing network upgrades everywhere. They new what they were doing, they new that they would mess around a lot of their customers. Upper management didn't care. The foot soldiers had no powers to help us. 9 times out of 10, the stock response is that they will send out an engineer. We all know that a call out is NOT going to resolve the problem.

Anyway, enough ranting, As I mentioned above, if UPC have finished their "network upgrades" and their network is stable, I will go back to them until Smart is in Naas. However, I just hope I won't ever have to ring their CC department.

For some strange reason, that previous post made me angry while typing it. I apologise if it comes across that I'm getting at you |.M.|

That is not the case. I must learn to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I had ntl when it was temporarily increased to 10Meg at start of 06 (I think it was).

At the time the network couldnt really handle it and the only time you got anything like the true speed was early in the morning.

However Chello offer up to 20Meg in many euro countries so theres no reason they couldnt do 12 here (and 20 also if they put their mind to it) - but it will need to be managed carefully.

A switch to DOCSIS 3 would help here -any word on this?
    Virgin will be offering 50Meg in the UK over DOCSIS 3 this year which shows what could be done with it

The last wave of DOCSIS 3.0 certifications has not yet been made known by cable labs and most of the kit in circulation is pre-DOCSIS 3.0. Most Cable Cos will wait until the kit is widely available and the price drops - Motorola, Thomson and Scientific Atlanta are all in for DOCSIS 3.0 wave. Expect large deployments in the US at the end of 08 early 09 with Europe following mid 09 with Euro DOCSIS 3.0 - though as you say, some MSO will trial pre DOCSIS 3.0 gear in small pockets to test it on live plant. J:COM (partly owned by UPC) have it running at 100Mbps in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

afraid not 1meg staying as is and they are 2meg is no longer available

I know 2 megs isn't offered anymore, but I have it and continue to pay €25 a month! Wonder what will happen my speeds??

Great news Campo, NTL has been significantly better in my area over the last month or so ;) thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

One of the NTL reps were on the Ray Darcy show yesterday ( or the day before , i cannot remember) . He said that the network uprades were about halfway done, which means that it will be at least another year and a half before they are done. This was for NTL as a whole they were talking about , so TV BB and phone. I also have noticed some improvement in the network as of late though. Ping times have dropped quite alot which is a very encouraging sign.

• Advertisement

everyone knows that UPC have got a bad name in the press recently
    some of it fairly, But improvments are on the way and this is just the start.
    date wise we could see these upgrades in a couple of months
    i cant give too much info away obviously ( data protection and all that )
    but I would encourage people to hang in there and have faith

everyone knows that UPC have got a bad name in the press recently
    some of it fairly, But improvments are on the way and this is just the start.
    date wise we could see these upgrades in a couple of months
    i cant give too much info away obviously ( data protection and all that )
    but I would encourage people to hang in there and have faith

I've moved on long ago. But I'll keep an eye out in about 12 months. Thank you for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

hey campo do you know if chorus block or limit their p2p ports? the reason im askin is that im playin call of duty 4 and im sometimes unable to connect to their match making server! this server uses the p2p ports!ive done some reding on other fourms and this seems to be the only reason i can come up with!? any taughts?
    thanks
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

At the moment I have the 6MB package and it does 0k/sec on torrents or any P2P. Even when I try to get WOW updates its dog slow.
    I only get full speed on normal port 80 web stuff.
    See thread above, they seem to be using Sandvine or some such to block access.

I'd prefer it if they made their network un-contended at the existing 6MB speed rather than uping their speeds when the network can't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

banbutcher wrote: »
    hey campo do you know if chorus block or limit their p2p ports? the reason im askin is that im playin call of duty 4 and im sometimes unable to connect to their match making server! this server uses the p2p ports!ive done some reding on other fourms and this seems to be the only reason i can come up with!? any taughts?
    thanks
    Richie

Thats the exact same problem with Trackmania as it uses P2P ports as well.

Advertisement