Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 316 4door saloon 316i SE 1.9 Litre

Options
  • 07-02-2008 11:34pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about getting a new car for a while.

Came across this car today Link.

Really like the car. Probably just in my price range.

I've to get rid of a punto so I was wondering is the any dealers in around Dublin that would take this in part exchange. Any one know where to get a good deal on one of these?

Also the car itself what do people think about it? Not big into cars but like the look of this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

She looks nice, nice colour too... I've got one quite similar to that one.... All the usuals about service history etc are quite important....

The engine is quite reliable in these... one thing to look after as the age and miles creaps up is the cooling system... in their infinite wisdom bmw uses all "push" fit connectors on these, the o-rings in these then to give up over time and little leaks start to appear, but BMW won't sell you the o-rings, have to buy the complete hoses.... :confused:

The suspension may also need attention, but it's all fairly straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This car will be seriously slow. It was slow out of the factory, and the 18" rims have only made it slower. Be prepared for something which is probably slower than your Punto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snake Nose

JHMEG wrote: »
    This car will be seriously slow. It was slow out of the factory, and the 18" rims have only made it slower. Be prepared for something which is probably slower than your Punto.
    Yeah, but you're missing the point: now he can be one of the few BMW drivers in the country! It's about the prestige!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

No miles in the ad, thats a bit of a worry. Need to check that first, then look for service history as Dilbert said.

Good looking example, nice wheels and going by carzone it looks like good value.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=36& has a good rundown on this model.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any dealers sell anything like this? Or is it all prirvate sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Forget about the 316, get a 318 AT MINIMUM. The slow 316 is not worthy of the BMW badge.

Elessar wrote: »
    Forget about the 316, get a 318 AT MINIMUM. The slow 316 is not worthy of the BMW badge.
    318 aint exactly fast either...

kearnsr wrote: »
    Any dealers sell anything like this? Or is it all prirvate sales?

Rare enough I'd reckon. BMW main stealers don't really hold anything over a few years old and the'll treat you like crap if you ask about anything pre 2004 most likely.

You will find some in other dealers but just be cautious about what you find. UK imports for example aren't necessarily bad, but get a HPI check and look for history. These motors are very easy to 'adjust' the mileage on.

If you do find one at a dealer be prepared to pay a lot more than the 6 or 7 k you saw above. For that year, you aren't likely to get much extra service from a dealer, so a good, straight, private sale might not be a bad thing.

Maybe keep a look out for a merc dealer or the like that might have got one as a trade in. Not likely to want to keep it out front too long and therefore likely to move it on fast for reasonable money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I wont mind what kinder dealer I got it from. As I said I'd be looking to sgift the punto and I'm not sure how easy it would be to do privatley.

Not to bothered about speed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

318 aint exactly fast either...

No, but I dont think someone looking into a 316 is into the racing speed of a 330i or M3 either...

• Advertisement

I have one of the cars the OP is looking at on loan while mine is getting repaired (again).

They are slow compared to other beemers but they are still miles quicker than a punto! Those things more like glaciars.

ronoc wrote: »
    I have one of the cars the OP is looking at on loan which mine is getting repaired (again).

They are slow compared to other beemers but they are still miles quicker than a punto! Those things more like glaciars.

I've a 99 punto with the newer 00 punto engine. Does me fine in terms of speed and power

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The thing is though why pay road tax, insurance and fuel on a 1.9 litre engine with the performance of an average 1.6 litre?

The 1.8 litre valvetronic engine in the 2002 facelifted 316i while not fantastic is still alot better than the old pre 2002 316i unit.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The thing is though why pay road tax, insurance and fuel on a 1.9 litre engine with the performance of an average 1.6 litre?

The 1.8 litre valvetronic engine in the 2002 facelifted 316i while not fantastic is still alot better than the old pre 2002 316i unit.

Thats a good point actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Yeah I have the 2002 version - and find it fine!

It's 115 BHP - supposed to be more economical than the pre-facelift
    Drove a 318 - same age - and didn't notice a huge difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To the OP, does it have to be the E46 model that your after?

The older E36 318iS coupe was available for a little while with a 130bhp 1.8 litre engine. I think they were available up to 1998 IIRC.

True, but OP has a budget and there is a big difference between '99/'00 and '02.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=815671

TJJP wrote: »
    True, but OP has a budget and there is a big difference between '99/'00 and '02.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=815671
    To the OP, does it have to be the E46 model that your after?

The older E36 318iS coupe was available for a little while with a 130bhp 1.8 litre engine. I think they were available up to 1998 IIRC.

YEah it will be all down to budget and I dont have a big on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If you're getting the 1.9 litre 3 series, you really should get the 318i, that has power close enough to a 1.8 as opposed to the 316i which has 1.6 power and 1.9 tax as standard.

Though those engines are widely reported as being weak(though 105 bhp would be a huge improvement on 60 I'm sure), so I suggest finding a newer Valvetronic version, those engines are from what I've read very good(and more fuel efficient too).

The 318is had 143 bhp in E36 guise(a 318i with Valvetronic also has 143 bhp incidentally)IIRC, it was 136 bhp in the E30.

E92 wrote: »
    If you're getting the 1.9 litre 3 series, you really should get the 318i, that has power close enough to a 1.8 as opposed to the 316i which has 1.6 power and 1.9 tax as standard.

Though those engines are widely reported as being weak(though 105 bhp would be a huge improvement on 60 I'm sure), so I suggest finding a newer Valvetronic version, those engines are from what I've read very good(and more fuel efficient too).

The 318is had 143 bhp in E36 guise(a 318i with Valvetronic also has 143 bhp incidentally)IIRC, it was 136 bhp in the E30.

What kind of price would you be talking about?

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    If you're getting the 1.9 litre 3 series, you really should get the 318i, that has power close enough to a 1.8
    Believe me it feels like a 1.6, or smaller.

Advertisement