Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single bets becoming extinct?

Options
  • 08-02-2008 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed recently the amount of doubles and above people have been backing. The bookies are always delighted to take these bets (and all of mine). What's wrong with backing one team to win one match? Your still at a disadvantage but you've a much better chance.

Don't do what the bookie wants you to do!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Have been saying this for a while but each to their own. It comes down to people wanting to win big straight away (and losing big time long term) than making intelligent selections and winning over a long term.

Look up any post in here and anyone in there posting up 5 or 6 folds, they are losers. Fair enough some may be just doing it for fun and fun usually costs money anyway.

Thats the divide though. Always was there, always will be. As I said at the start, each to their own.

Another thing thats very noticeable is people who bet every day, no matter who's playing.

It is very hard to be a winner at gambling, but it's very very easy to spot the losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Forky wrote: »
    Another thing thats very noticeable is people who bet every day, no matter who's playing.

It is very hard to be a winner at gambling, but it's very very easy to spot the losers.

Very true Forky.
    The hardest part of gambling is knowing when to keep your money in your
    pocket if you ask me.
    But then again if you are a big soccer fan for example, you normally have an
    interest in games at least 4 nights a week so its hard to keep your powder dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

Very true Irish Mike. Difficult when to know not to gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

My new approach is to try and read the odds, really associate value in the outcome. Like last night for instant the favourites Ghana were evens and Ivory Coast. This didn't offer much value.

Especially Ghana, no way evens. They have no scoring power. Ivory Coast don't know what happened to them. But I would have expected much shorter price than 8/13 so some indication here of a losing bet.

Again, like postings have said before technique and strategy are a most, like most i've had to learn the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I think you'll almost all serious gamblers will bet almost exclusively in singles. Accumulators are more of a fun thing for small stakes to give the armchair fan an interest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Good post OP

I took a month off the gambling in January as I was just gambling on nothing matches in stupid doubles and trebles.

After a recent Betfair demo I decided to start trading on horse racing and stick with that for the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

masterK wrote: »
    I think you'll almost all serious gamblers will bet almost exclusively in singles. Accumulators are more of a fun thing for small stakes to give the armchair fan an interest.

A pro-punter I know once told me that he eventually came to the conclusion that as long as you were getting a value price, it most certainly was worthwhile doing multiple bets as you were multiplying value every time.

The trick of course is identifying the value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

To be fair most small time people who post here gamble for fun.

I know I do.

The fiver or tenner I lose gives me plenty of entertainment and a bit of craic.

I don't think I'm gonna win when I bet some mad multiple but it is paying for a bit of a dream.

If I was prepared to bet to make money, I'd be having to bet bigger sums, 20-50 on these below even singles.

telecaster wrote: »
    A pro-punter I know once told me that he eventually came to the conclusion that as long as you were getting a value price, it most certainly was worthwhile doing multiple bets as you were multiplying value every time.

Fair point, but learn to crawl before you can learn to walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

telecaster wrote: »

Ah yeah if you find a few value bets for one weekend then there's no reason not to do it. But this would be a very rare event where you find one layer with 3 or 4 wrong prices on their coupon. Someone's head would roll after it.

Advertisement