Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heater matrix question (€5,000,000 reward for answer)

Options
  • 08-02-2008 12:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

HI

My in-car heating is really driving (heheh) me insane. I've tried many a trick to fix it.

Tis a 98 Ibiza...

You know the two pipes that lead into the heater matrix, one for flow in and one for out.

Well...

I think my heater box might be blocked, so what would happen if I switched the two pipes? ie. Pull the inflow pipe out and put it on the outflow nozzle, and vice versa.

Could this dislodge a block of gunk that may be blocking my heater matrix?

I've tried almost every other option (thanks to many boardsies) to sort out my in-car heating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Have you tired bringing it too someone who knows how to fix it ? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Yeah, you could swap them.

And then refill and bleed your cooling system without a clear diagnosis of the problem, only to suffer a relapse of the initial problem, due to either;

(a) Circulating the gunk (if there is any) the other way,

(b) Causing a build up of pressure in the system resulting in a ruptured matrix (generally a weak point in the system) and skin grafts aplenty (hint: this is not pleasant on a Saturday night, when your date of choice is wearing hotpants-I'm not joking, an unprecented failure of an oft forgotten component is never fun),

(c) Best case scenario: Copious head scratching as to why it didn't work, because of a persistent air lock.

Alternatively, you could let a pro look at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Ninja_scrotum, you are one cool motherfcuker

Wow, thanks.

Alternatively, you could let a pro look at it.

Or, I could sort out this airlock myself.... The car only cost me €200, I'm not bringing it to a pro who will probably charge me €200 for fixing it. No fecking way!!!

So how can you get an airlock out of the heater matrix?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Firstly, are you sure that the whole system is not full of air,

have you checked the hoses, do they feel empty or full.

Is the heater matrix higher than expansion tank? if not (like usually) then I cannot see how there could be air in matrix if you just get the air out of the whole system.

Oh yeah, if the matrix failes all the (hot) water gets out and inside to the car, it sucks, trust me I know:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Cheers lads, the 5million euro is hidden in a junkies bum on grafton street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Are you sure there isn't a bleeder for the heater matrix?? if the heater matrix is higher than the engine block there should be a bleeder for it... it usually mounted up high on the bulk head on the engine size.

If the heater matrix is mounted quite high, no idea if it is on an ibiza, you could place the car up on ramps, or facing up-hill, let it cool down then try and bleed it then, this should help get all the air out...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Attach agarden hose to inlet, another hose + bucket to outlet, turn on tap and see if that blasts out any crap stuck in there. Also it could be a problem with the heater valve (which turns on and off the flow to the heater matrix).

If it's an old car with a history of a leaky radiator, the matrix might be gunged up with radweld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

If the matrix is higher than expansion tank, then:

take the coolant out of the system
    remove expansion tank from its connections
    raise the expansion tank and use something to attach it so high you can get
    put the coolant in slowly and try to get air out
    put the expansion tank back to its original place.

Advertisement