Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walkie talkies!

Options
  • 08-02-2008 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I don't know if this is the right place but i am trying to get an understanding of how walkie talkies work,

I am looking to buy 5 for my Airsoft Team, They need to have alot of Channels and Sub channels, need to be Clear as can be,

Can you have two channels set at once, Like One channel for team talk only and a second channel for out side contact like reporting back to Command?

What type of walkies would you recomennd,

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are looking at getting a set of PMR 446 radios which do not need any licence to use. These are limited to a range of approx 3km depending on terrain. There are 8 channels on them with 38 CTCSS codes.

I don't think you can get ones with the ability to monitor 2 channels at once, so command may need to have 2 radios so they can talk to each team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You are looking at getting a set of PMR 446 radios which do not need any licence to use. These are limited to a range of approx 3km depending on terrain. There are 8 channels on them with 38 CTCSS codes.

I don't think you can get ones with the ability to monitor 2 channels at once, so command may need to have 2 radios so they can talk to each team.

Thanks for the Reply,

I will look in to PMR 446,

What do you make of this http://www.motorola.com/governmentandenterprise/wemea/en-gb/public/functions/browseproduct/productdetailpage.aspx?navigationpath=id_803i/id_482i/id_520i

They are the sort of radios you can get without a licence. The 8km range quoted is very optimistic imho. Typicial would be 3 to 4 km but it all depends on terrain etc.

Those ones your looking at would be expensive. You can get similar radios from Lidl, Aldi or Argos much cheaper.

They are the sort of radios you can get without a licence. The 8km range quoted is very optimistic imho. Typicial would be 3 to 4 km but it all depends on terrain etc.

Those ones your looking at would be expensive. You can get similar radios from Lidl, Aldi or Argos much cheaper.

Need raidos that can take Tactial Head sets!

The ones from Argos do take headsets.

• Advertisement

The ones from Argos do take headsets.

Could you recommend a set?,

Found these on Argos. I think they would suit you as they come with headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

<snip>

For the same purpose as op what would this be like as a radio and is it legal here.

On a side note how do you post a link so it only a word or two of your chosing rather than what I did.

Thanks for any help

Those radios are not legal for use in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Link edited.

To post a link with your own title, as it were:

Copy your link, click reply, click the icon with the globe and chain link (geddit?) right click and paste into the box, and click OK.

You now have a stream of characters, with a section highlighted. Simply overwrite this with whatever you want the link to appear as. Use your arrow key or mouse to move outside this stream of characters, and continue posting as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 cyclingmad

On the topic of walkie talkies :
    I have Binatone terrain 550's and somebody else ave Midland GX-300t(ithink) and when both are on channel 3 i can hear or talkt tot he midland walkie talkies from my binatone, I tried all the sub channels of 3 and got nothing, anybody know whats wrong ? or how we can connect them

Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

faulty radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 cyclingmad

Nope, i found out that they operate on deifferant frequencys.... GMRS was the midland and it had 22 channel and the binatones only have 8 channels of a differant band

Advertisement