Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To call in sick or not to call in sick- what do you think?

• 08-02-2008 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Basically I work in an office where although there is only 6 of us, at least 3 of us are nearly ALWAYS sick. I'm there 4 months and it's been like this since before I started. The other day I was snivelling and coughing and the others said I should probably take the next day off because I could infect everyone else. I took yesterday and the day before off, had a sore throat and a cold and just felt crap. I still do but am reluctant to take tomorrow off in case I look bad? And I haven;t been to a doctor yet- we need a cert for 3 or more days off. If I take tomorrow off and go to the doctor will they backdate the cert for me?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Hold on , you're actually sick!! This is actually worse than debating whether to pull a sickie!! Showing sickening dedication to work etc, shame on you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ok here's the resolution

if you are sick ----call in sick

If you are not sick---go to work.

Right.. next problem please??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i called in sick yesterday and today. good ole food poisoning. i never call in sick for colds and flu, just because a good dose of pills'll sort it out... but after my relaxing time yesterday i'll do it from here on in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If you're genuinely sick - and feel you'll improve by not going into work etc - then do. When you go to your doctor say you've been out the past two days so can he/she write a note to cover that. I'm sure your GP will. It's happened me before and if I need a note for being out on the third day my GP will cover the three days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Calling in sick is always tricky, and even if you are sick its easy to feel guilty even though you really shouldn't be. Imo the best thing to do if you're unsure is to actually go into work, let everyone see how sick you are the minute you go in, and then wait for them to send you home, oftentimes theres really no need for sick cert then that way either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

OP, if you are sick, and you do go into work, let me know and I'll go home instead to balance things out.

>puts hand to forehead< Oh, I'm so ill, cough cough cough.........oh woe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Be glad you have a job and go to work.
    your lazy colleagues will be the first to go when the downsizing begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Call in sick, and go to the dr. He'll give you a cert for the days you were out. If you go in you'll only infect everyone and end up with more work for yourself come Monday when you have to cover for them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Take the sick day and go on the beer for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

wish i was out "sick" today, god dam invoices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Go to work you damn slacker its people like you taking days off because they are "sick" that have this economy going to hell!

One of my legs fell off on Monday did that stop me going to work hello no I hopped all the way there!

Thankfully by Wednesday it had re-attached itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Rob_l wrote: »
    Go to work you damn slacker its people like you taking days off because they are "sick" that have this economy going to hell!

One of my legs fell off on Monday did that stop me going to work hello no I hopped all the way there!

Thankfully by Wednesday it had re-attached itself

ha ha ha deadly!

I didn't go in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

pffft sick days are for the weak, I've only taken one in the passed 4 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

You absolute tosser! *Simon Cowell type voice*

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've just taken my first sick day today ever and I'm in the same place 6 years. I had too though. Couldn't sleep last night because of a sore stomach and back and didn't get to bed until 4am. Felt the same way today so it was a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I learned that there are no prizes for being a Martyr, OP. If you're sick, you're sick. No one will congratulate you for being miserable in work when you could be at home in bed getting better.

Taking sick days sickens me :(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Rob_l wrote: »
    Taking sick days sickens me :(:confused:

i believe thats the guilt you feel from taking them off

emo!! wrote: »
    i believe thats the guilt you feel from taking them off

No its probably form all the booze I try to consume while on sick days,
    guilt is for people who haven't discovered alcohol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Pttsch, work is nothing, go in to the doc and say how you felt wehn you feelt your worst, job done, hell give you some medicine. Try pulling a sickie from school. My mother has a seventh sense about that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I had the flu, and rang in sick, i was responded with "Bring in a doctors note when your back" Who the hell goes to the doctor with the flu? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

I went in to work sick with ebola and infected all of my colleagues. As it happen's I was only a carrier of this vile illness. All of my workmates are now dead and Ive been promoted to Vice Chairman. Moral of this story is the sicker you are the more people you infect the better chance there is that you too will be promoted.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I went to the doctor and asked for a note to cover me from Wednesday til today. He asked do I work Monday to Friday and I said yes. He dated the note from Wednesday but rather than have the end date as today (Friday) he wrote the note for until Monday! Does that mean I am under doctor's orders to not work Monday?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

You're all fired.

Advertisement