Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop of Canterbury calls for Sharia Law

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

But that's a different problem, a problem which exists whether or not Sharia courts are given recognition.

Well I don't see it as a different problem, I see it as directly steming from Sharia Law and the Quranic teachings and I honestly think that legitimising Sharia Law as being a set of rules which are acceptable in any secular state will have the effect of lending legitimacy to the unacceptable behaviour which is derived from it.
    The opression of Muslim women is, quite frankly, a matter that only Muslim women can sort out

Really? And was the Apatheid South African oppression of black Africans a matter that only the black people could sort out or did it also take pressure from civilised secular states worldwide? For the record some Muslim women's groups are trying to sort it out and they are condemning Rowan William's comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

For some more behind the headlines information, BBC R4 is rebroadcasting its Nov '06 Law in Action program on religious (and cultural) courts tonight (Sunday) at 9pm. The program will be on the website for a week afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

my favourite alcoholic has this to say about it. on this one, he speaks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I think consenting adults should be allowed make contracts with each other. They should be allowed decide who enforces these contracts.

Currently in Ireland we use the state to enforce certain contracts. Marriage for example. This was not always the case for marriage.

If someone enters into a contract under duress. For example they are underage or threatened. The the contract is invalid.

That ends my libertarian minarchist ranting. I will go back to polishing my guns in an underground compound now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I think it's fair to say that Rowan Williams is wishing he'd never opened his mouth last week, because just about everyone in the UK has been dumping on him from various heights. Gordon Brown was polite, but you could tell he was not pleased. I think the best response has come from Andrew Anthony in The Guardian, who see his remarks as an attack on the principles of secularism in government: link.
    Who can deny that the church's special treatment looks increasingly absurd in our multicultural society? Even Dr Williams himself has acknowledged that Britain is not a Christian country in terms of "active churchgoers". Therefore the choice on offer is either to downgrade the Church of England, or upgrade other religions. Dr Williams has made his preference obvious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement