Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on moving water tank

Options
  • 08-02-2008 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi
    I am looking for some advice here, I am considering moving the water tank in my attic by about 5 feet to make more room up there. At the moment it is over the boiler, if I move it will there be a problem in my water pressure. Just curious and would appreciate any advice possible,

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

only thing I'd recommend is that it is definitely placed over a supporting wall. As for pressure, moving it left or right won't affect pressure, only altering the height.

I have a question about tanks, I'm going to 'hijack' your thread.

I want to install a new coffin style tank in the attic, to replace an old tank in the corner of the bathroom. An oulfella plumbing friend said he'd help me. Turns out he won't. A couple of years later, I am going to have to get something done meself.

At what distance from the top of the tank should I drill the inlet hole and the overflow. I was thinking at least 50mm for each. The depth of the ballcock should be enough clearance for the level of water to the level of the overflow, shouldn't it???

I was also going to drill the cold outlet 50mm from the bottom.

Can anyone advise me?

Smashey,thanks for the move,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Guys.

I'm moving this to DIY as there are quite a few plumbers lurking over there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

nutzzz123 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am looking for some advice here, I am considering moving the water tank in my attic by about 5 feet to make more room up there. At the moment it is over the boiler, if I move it will there be a problem in my water pressure. Just curious and would appreciate any advice possible,

thanks

If its a two storey house its always a good idea to put the water tank above the hotpress, this prevents freezing in winter. If its a bungalow above the boiler if posssible. PS, dont put insulation below a tank in the attic, the heat rises and prevents frozen pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If its a two storey house its always a good idea to put the water tank above the hotpress, this prevents freezing in winter. If its a bungalow above the boiler if posssible. PS, dont put insulation below a tank in the attic, the heat rises and prevents frozen pipes.

I wouldnt say my hotpress is any warmer than other rooms in my house. Its double insulated and all the hot pipes from it are clad.

Good advice about not insulating under it, but if in doubt you can always just insulate around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Suppose so, modern hotpresses arent really hot anymore!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

tompopo,the ball-valve should be drilled approx 2 inches from the top and the overflow 3 inches from the top,

nutzzz123,just make sure you get a lid for the tank you wouldn't believe what ive seen in peoples tanks these days,bird carcesses tadpoles etc. and this is water people wash in and brush there teeth in

Advertisement