Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What O/U ShotGun for a first timer!

Options
  • 08-02-2008 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I am looking for my first Shotgun. Will be used manly for clays but might be taking out for some small game shooting once our twice a year. I was looking for a good second hand gun, something I thought would hold it value if I wanted to trade up after a year our so.

I was hoping to spend about €500 on it but after having a look around, I now know I will have to spend a bit more then that. I should be able to push the budget to 1K.
    But if I am to spend the top end of my budget would like to get a nice gun I can live with for a long time.

I know I am looking for a 12g over under Sporter with multi choke.

But not sure what make or model to go for?

Not sure if I should go for 28” or 30” barrels?
    What the advantages and disadvantages of each?

These are some of the guns I have looked at.

A Beretta from 1975 not sure of the model but it was a skeet gun with black action fixed open choke I think it had 30” barrels. If all the guns I have a look at so far this was the best fit. The asking price was €500.

I had a look at 2 second hand Lanbers one 28” the other 30” both were sporters with multi chokes. If the 2 I thought the 30” felt better. They were priced 28” €600 and 30” €700. I did like the feel of the Lanbers but was worried about the fact these guns were coming from a shooting ground and might have seen a lot of rounds pass through them already, the 28” did have some discolouring on the ends of the barrels.

I did see another Lanber dealer told me it was new 30” barrels had some damage to the recoil pad, but dealer will sort this out before he let it go. Asking price €900.

A dealer I was talking to told me he has new WEBLEY & SCOTT sporters in stock in the next few weeks. They will be multi choke asking price €790. Have not seen these guns so don’t know what they look our feel like.
    Had a look at the website http://www.webley.co.uk But the entry level sporter they had on this sells for about £1000 GBP but they might have a gun in there range not covered on there site.
    Maybe someone out there has a WEBLEY & SCOTT and can let me know what they think of them.

I keep getting the same makes off the internet for my budget Lanber and Bettinsoli. But you might know of a few makes and models new that would fall into my budget. Our some models that would be a great second hand buy if I can find them.

Or if you know if any makes I should just keep away from because they are rubbish our parts are hard to get hold of.

So please help as shooting paper targets with my .22 just isn’t enough any more.

I will keep look myself over the next few weeks and see what turns up but any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Just after Christmas I purchased a Brand New Bettinsoli Sporter 28" That came
    with 4 chokes and in a plastic hard case. Only Cost 800 Euro New.
    (My first shotgun too)

Still waiting on the licence to come through for it, but got to test fire it
    at a clay shoot and I loved it. The Quality is surprisingly good for a cheap shotgun.

I think mine is the Diamond model a bit down from the one:
    http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/guns/141591/Bettinsoli_De_Luxe_shotgun_review.html

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

A nice new Lanber. great all rounder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

ill second that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

well for very cheap but ultra reliable O/U you could buy a new Baikal which is a great gun for a beginner! Arround 500 in galway!
    Not the prettiest but will do the job nicely IMO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

If you are going to mainly shoot clays and some game I would definitely be looking for a gun with interchangable chokes...a lot more versatile than a gun with fixed chokes.

As regards barrel length the 28'' or 30'' doesn't really matter, very little extra range to be gained from 30''. Taller people usually go for longer barrels. It's to do with balance really and swing. Try both sizes and go for the length you find most comfortable when swinging at an imaginary 'clay'.

As regards make go to a gun dealer and 'dry fit' as many as possible to find the most comfortable fit. One which suits a friend may not be comfortable for you.

Gun can feel totally different to others depending on cast of stock (bend in the wood of the stock) - some have a slight cast while others have a more pronounced cast. This can greatly effect comfort and handling.

An experienced, knowledgable dealer can stand in front of you as you mount an unloaded gun and tell if it suits you according to where you are aiming, eyes are focused etc.

As to make, I would buy a good second hand make rather than a new cheap make. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for. Plainer guns with less engraving are usually cheaper yet perform exactly the same.

After 'dry mounting' many I would then decide on the model ideally suited to you. Save extra for that gun.

The dearest gun you will buy is a cheap new one, then trade it in after a few months for a more expensive one, then later trade again for a better model. As a guy once said ' I can't afford to buy cheap!'

Buy one initially that you are comfortable with, is a recognised brand that has stood the test of time, suit your mounting position and stance and are happy to keep and be seen with for many years.

Some clubs will let you try some of their shop guns if interested in purchasing.

I wouldn't touch a gun with damaged recoil pad etc. ......visible abuse & neglect uually indicates overall abuse and lack of cleaning, maintenance, care etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

you cant beat a Bettinsoli, I shoot a supersport and though I could trade up I wont it is a good gun, it is not cheap it is a good value gun. I also have a Baikal IJ27E O/U, I got it second hand 21 years ago and use it for all my game. You could bury a Baikal in Mud dig it up and use it, it won't win a competion for style but for pure doggedness you cant beat it. I wouldnt use a baikal for clays though when younger I did. The Baikal is a cannon and after 100 shells you'll feel it.

800-1000 if you could safe might see you with better choice, brownings 325, various autos. (recently picked up lovely second hand 391 urika very clean 1k. I recommend you take your time dont rush

As for chokes dont get stuck on it. I shoot all my sporting 1/4 and 1/2 all game 1/2 (with auto) Baikal is 1/2 /full (fixed choke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I have to thank every one for the posts they left. This getting a new gun is a lot of hard work.

Ringing dealers and seen if they have any thing worth making a trip to look at. Looking on the internet.

There are so many guns out there but not enough cheap good ones.

Will keep looking don't want to rush into anything, would be easy to have bought the first gun I seen.

Some of the dealers were great help. Made me look a fool in front of my mate showing me how to stand and hold a gun and giving me some tips on breaking clays.

But if looking foolish and asking questions means I get a better gun in the end it will be well worth it.

Advertisement