Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet/Heli- Joystick, mouse or keyboard? hmmm

Options
  • 08-02-2008 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I downloaded BF2 Demo and have been playing it the last week.
    I've learned the tricks of the trade of all the basics.

I was wondering when it comes to flying which is easiest.

Jet: Mouse, Keyboard or Joystick?
    I don't think a mouse is in the matter here.
    I have been playing with arrow keys as I am in the process of setting up my joystick(getting game port). I can fly pretty decent with the keyboard but keep getting owned after ive used my flare thingys. I keep dodging, diving, diping and wonder, How the hell did he get me??
    Will this problem be resolved when my joystick is up and running.

I know it takes practise but what is the real secret for such accurate locked on missiles?

Heli: keyboard aint so bad, mouse is trickier. Will Joystick be mush easier with practise?? Ive seen experts in heli and they use mouse? Its strange how pros are using mice instead of joystick.

Another thing, your Locked on jet/heli infront of you and BAM Flares come out and you miss. I ask myself how do you take down a heli when everytime they flare the place up. I know about sneaking up on enemy, by setting bombs aimer and then quickly switching, im not that much of a noob just to let you know.

I know your probably thinking, yeh yeh noob goes on and this is a pointless thread.
    But I was hoping I could get a few tips on what to use to fly Heli/jet...etc
    What not to do...etc
    Ive searched videos on youtube and they are great help and that but none go into specifically whats best to fly helis/jets. The videos are usually pros explainin how they do there thang...etc

Any advice, tips, trick appreciated.

;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I fly helis a lot, and find keyboard / mouse combo the best.
    I never fly jets.

Regarding the flares... get a lock on, and wait until they release the flares and they are gone before firing. Works a treat, as most pilots just hit the flares button once they get a lock-on :D

BTW, BF2 is an awesome game. Get the full thing for next to nowt!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I fly helis a lot, and find keyboard / mouse combo the best.
    I never fly jets.

Regarding the flares... get a lock on, and wait until they release the flares and they are gone before firing. Works a treat, as most pilots just hit the flares button once they get a lock-on :D

BTW, BF2 is an awesome game. Get the full thing for next to nowt!

Exactly. When you lock on, they hear beeps, and they release the flares, then you fire. Win win.

I use the keyboard / mouse combo, I'm not the best pilot in the world/ on the server/ on my team / in the squad but almost all of the amazing pilots I do know use the keyboard and mouse combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

First of all you're playing BF2 DEMO, forget about missles, it is very hard to take people down in the DEMO with missles, it takes a very accurate timing, in the retail version the missles have been "noobified" and it's much easier to hit people now, I used to watch people on youtube too, taking amazing shots and hitting people, and I was amazed, when I tried the retail version, it turned out to be quite easy.

I use Keyboard/Mouse, I couldn't fly with keyboard alone, mouse gives you a better precision and you can make slight corrections easier but you have to keep it steady, and longer more steeper turns are harder, but I still prefer M/K.

Bought a joystick, absolutely hated it, couldn't fly for ****, returned it.

I'm probably a good pilot, I beat lots of pilots but the really good selected few usually get me.

As for choppers the best way to take out a chopper is with a machine gun, that thing eats right through them. You also have to know the map's landing pads so if you wound them, you can finish them off while they're returning to repair. If you want missles you have to pick the correct angle, usually when it's back is turned your way that's when you use missles.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Keyboard, as a joystick doesn't seem to like the physics in BF2.

Saying that, heli's + joystick are good, as you can hover easier, and fly in at VERY low levels. Esp. visible when flying a green machine low-level in Nam.

Advertisement