Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish drivers and motorways!!!

Options
  • 08-02-2008 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or do a lot of Irish drivers not know how to drive on motorways. OK so we only have 2 lanes on most of our motorways but doesn't the average Irish driver know that the right lane is for overtaking!!! DON'T HOG THE FUKKING RIGHT LANE. I'm not a fast driver but EVERY TIME I use the motorways I end up behind some fukking idiot driving at 100kph in the right lane with NO TRAFFIC in front of him/her. All I can say is

PULL THE FUKK OVER AND LET THE TRAFFIC PAST!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Jrad wrote: »
    No!

Did you just post that for an extra post count???

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

DonJose wrote: »
    Did you just post that for an extra post count???

Ah now, come on. You have to admit he makes a very convincing argument!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Irish drivers are ****ing idiots. I have worked on this theory as a logical corollary to my "everyone in the world is a ****ing idiot" theory which was first published next to an interview with Noam Chomsky in Hustler magazine in 1987.
    Its the page before those two bald snizzes with the funny glasses on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Yes, the more the better! Soon i will have so many post counts i wont know what to do with them. Me and mine will live like kings! Kings i tell you!

• Advertisement

which was first published next to an interview with Noam Chomsky in Hustler magazine in 1987.

Actually I do remember reading about that, sadly for reference, all the pages are now stuck together!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you use a mild detergent sprayed on a dry cloth you can actually remove those stains. Then tell me how my ponytail looked, because i think its time for a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Is it just me or do a lot of Irish drivers not know how to drive on motorways. OK so we only have 2 lanes on most of our motorways but doesn't the average Irish driver know that the right lane is for overtaking!!! DON'T HOG THE FUKKING RIGHT LANE. I'm not a fast driver but EVERY TIME I use the motorways I end up behind some fukking idiot driving at 100kph in the right lane with NO TRAFFIC in front of him/her. All I can say is

some day man, maybe the idiots will learn.

theres no excuse for it really. if they had any clue what was going on around them it wouldnt be happening. it proves theyre incompetent and should not be on the road :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is it just me or do a lot of Irish drivers not know how to drive on motorways

It's not you. In fairness to those drivers though, they never had any training on how to drive on motorways, which is a disgrace

My my, you need some anger managment classes!

I hope you are not winding your self up this much when you are sharing the road with the rest of us.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    It's not you. In fairness to those drivers though, they never had any training on how to drive on motorways, which is a disgrace

true but then again i passed the same test as these idiots and i know why theres 2 lanes on a motorway and how to use them.

however i agree that its a disgrace that there is no motorway training before the test and that you never go over half the motorway speed limit during it but all of a sudden you are qualified to do so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

They should also be thought how to drive on roads with 3 lanes. Every evening heading home on the N7 Im actually amazed at the number of people sitting in the middle lane doing 80Km while the left lane is completely empty and they are driving slower than traffic approaching them from behind. You could drive from Rathcoole -> Naas in the left lane at 100Km and pass about 80-100 cars in the middle lane on your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Can this be closed ... its been done to death ..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

D_murph wrote: »
    i passed the same test as these idiots and i know why theres 2 lanes on a motorway and how to use them.

No disrespect, but there is a lot more to driving on a motorway than how to use 2 lanes as explained in the Rules of the Road

How to safely merge is a skill but the all important one is to establish the relation to other vehicles, not in one dimension (distance), but in two dimensions (distance and speed) is something very few drivers in this country seem to master

Very regularly people post comments like "I started to overtake and out of nowhere was this car behind me flashing his lights"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Very regularly people post comments like "I started to overtake and out of nowhere was this car behind me flashing his lights"

Yeah I hear a lot of people telling stories like this. Unless it was a Veyron, they didn't do mirror/shoulder checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Indeed, the concept (drilled into you in Germany) of looking in your mirrors regularly, not only to get a picture in your mind of what is behind you, but also to judge how fast they're going and how quickly they're gaining on you seems to be beyond most people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mirrors? :D

No disrespect, but there is a lot more to driving on a motorway than how to use 2 lanes as explained in the Rules of the Road

How to safely merge is a skill but the all important one is to establish the relation to other vehicles, not in one dimension (distance), but in two dimensions (distance and speed) is something very few drivers in this country seem to master

youre correct there, i agree with you totally.

merging on motorways is a skill and it is not one that you are trained in when you are doing the driving test, let alone any motorway driving at all.

you never come near 100 kmh during the test and somehow when you get a full license you are automatically entitled to drive at 120kmh on a motorway alone, yet having no previous experience being on one while on a provisional license :confused:

i hope im not the only one that sees a problem with this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

My wife recently went through the Irish Drivers License test, and I must say it explained a lot to me.

When I did mine 16 odd years ago it consisted of a 45 minute closed area test which included pulling away on a steep incline (a matchbox was placed behind the tyre - squish it = fail), parallel parking from both sides, three point turns, the works. If I recall you had two chances to make mistakes - touch the curb twice and you're out.

Once done, you head out to the normal city roads for another 45 minutes, once complete, you hit the motorway, not sure what's usual but mine lasted well over 30 minutes on the motorway alone.

A pretty good test overall in my view, and it focused on basically everything. Motorway testing is sorely lacking here and is plain to see whenever I hit the M50/N7/M7 etc, which is daily.

Just today I was stuck behind someone doing 80Kph in the right-hand lane on the N7 for ages... no point getting excited about it though, may as well just get left and relax until they legalise 120mm canons for my cars!

Links to South African driving test info for those interested -

Link 1
    Link 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I did 100km/h on the N7 during my test so it can happen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

youre correct there, i agree with you totally.

merging on motorways is a skill and it is not one that you are trained in when you are doing the driving test, let alone any motorway driving at all.

you never come near 100 kmh during the test and somehow when you get a full license you are automatically entitled to drive at 120kmh on a motorway alone, yet having no previous experience being on one while on a provisional license :confused:

i hope im not the only one that sees a problem with this :rolleyes:

+1

Exactly, but a driving instructor can't legally take you on a motorway. Also a driving tester can't legally take someone onto a motor way on their test. Its so backward.

They should make people do a merge on / off a motorway or dual carriageway at the correct speeds as part of their test.

It sickens me that people are not given any training on how to drive on these roads... .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Merging is easy. Just drive along the slip road and then suddenly drive over the white lines of the ghost traffic island causing the cars to brake - sure weren't they going to fast anyway so I'm making the roads safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

kbannon wrote: »
    Merging is easy. Just drive along the slip road and then suddenly drive over the white lines of the ghost traffic island causing the cars to brake - sure weren't they going to fast anyway so I'm making the roads safer!

You should know better. You drive down the slip road, gradually slowing down. When you get past the ghost island markings, you must slow further, stopping if necessary, before joining the overtaking lane directly. Make sure you accelerate slowly up to cruising speed, which should be sufficiently under the limit so as to enable undertaking.

Also if you're turning left again anywhere within the next 10 miles, you just stay in the slip lane until it becomes a hard shoulder, undertaking if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Alun wrote: »
    Indeed, the concept (drilled into you in Germany) of looking in your mirrors regularly, not only to get a picture in your mind of what is behind you, but also to judge how fast they're going and how quickly they're gaining on you seems to be beyond most people here.

Silly me. I thought that this would be basic cop on. Wait, sorry, this is Ireland!

So many things are wrong with motorway driving here. No training as unkel stated. And once the test is passed you can toddle onto a motorway and wreck everyone's head. It makes no sense.

Driving on a motorway is easy - once you understand one fundamental rule : Awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Its a nuisance alright. On the M4 you have to get to the Maynooth exit before some semblance of common sense kicks in. Up till then its 100kph in both lanes if you're lucky with cars arse to tit the whole way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

If everyone drove 1 foot closer to the car infront there would be loads of room for the cars on the road, actually if everyone properly tailgated and the lead car was alternated like geese do the savings in fuel would easily pay for the odd bit of damage that was done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

kbannon wrote: »
    Is it not that the yellow line dividing the hard shoulder from the main carriageway is, in fact, an invisible wall?
    And you should proceed at a moderate pace down the slip road 'sliding' the left side of your car along this invisible wall. When that obscure dashed line over on the right disappears, the invisible wall will 'slingshot' you out onto the main carriageway. No indicators are necessary, as the 'invisible wall rule' gives you right of way; it's good manners though to indicate to the left, as you're turning left onto the 'big road'.
    Also, it's good practice to minimise wear and tear on your tyres and steering by using the 'slingshot effect' of the invisible wall to carry you all the way over to the 'fast' lane where you should remain for the remainder of your journey; as, by comparison with average travelling speed throughout human history, 100Km/h is indeed, 'fast'.

I thought everyone knew this stuff?

:rolleyes:

peasant wrote: »
    Mirrors? :D

LOL what about indicators. I'd say at least 1 in 3 people on our motorways don't use indicators. What about the 1 flash indicator gang.

• Advertisement

LOL what about indicators. I'd say at least 1 in 3 people on our motorways don't use indicators. What about the 1 flash indicator gang.

I love the people who only indicate if they're changing lanes moving right but don't indicate changing back. :mad:

Advertisement