Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish drivers and motorways!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

javaboy wrote: »
    I love the people who only indicate if they're changing lanes moving right but don't indicate changing back. :mad:
    And what about the ones who indicate after they've begun the manoeuvre, or even in some glorious cases, after it's completed? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had a great one today, moved to overtake in the outside lane legitimately; the Nissan Navara that was a huge distance behind me suddenly wasn't. Muppet driving it flashed his lights but I couldn't move back in to the middle lane (nor did I have to...) as the truck that I was overtaking was in the way...

Some distance later, after yer mans passed me and failed to make any progress, including driving up the hole of a truck in the outside lane (how I prayed it'd brake suddenly), he decides he wants the Rathcoole turnoff, crossed from the middle lane to the sliplane late enough that it appeared he was going to hit the start of the barrier - hatchings were up to the width of a car by this stage.

(of course, its not a "motorway" per se, but I feel it still matches with the thread...)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

MYOB wrote: »
    Had a great one today, moved to overtake in the outside lane legitimately; the Nissan Navara that was a huge distance behind me suddenly wasn't. Muppet driving it flashed his lights

i hate when that happens. stupid idiots that think they own the right lane even though theyre a mile back :rolleyes:

you can get them to do it again if you give em the middle finger it seems :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

I think every here misses the point

We have people like that on our motorways for several reasons.

A. Full Licences were handed out years ago to anyone wearing an ape suit.

B. We now have 1000's of foreign nationists on our roads, not knowing the difference of right and left lanes. ( Not the biggest issue , most are ok)

C. We have noone to enforce the right lane for faster traffic, Your oblidged to pull over, some people just stay there and think " Sure use the left lane"

D. Imo, 50% of the people on motorways are L drivers , whether or not they have there plates up, or if they're just one of those older people who never bothered with full and doesnt use L.

Irish road safety sucks, People need to open eyes to wha's happening out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 6foot7

hi all,
    well, i am german.
    i have to say most irish or even english drivers do not know how to drive on motorways etc.
    i had a long trip over xmas going to germany, and have to say it is really bad what is going on here and in the uk,
    france is not better, it came back to "normal" as i entered belgium.
    funny, but most of my friend (irish and germans) who use to drive abroad will answer the same.
    it has something to do with the license system.
    in the most eu countries you HAVE to do a proper license and you have to pay loads of money for it, advantage you have a full license straight away.
    i was moaning a lot as i did my license over 10 years ago that i had to pay so much money, as i came here i thought, well, in some stage it is right to do a license like this
    ok, changes has happend a lot in the last few years but still, i agree and say, many drivers do not know how to drive either on motorways or even bigger natinal roads.

rene

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lynchie wrote: »
    They should also be thought how to drive on roads with 3 lanes. Every evening heading home on the N7 Im actually amazed at the number of people sitting in the middle lane doing 80Km while the left lane is completely empty and they are driving slower than traffic approaching them from behind. You could drive from Rathcoole -> Naas in the left lane at 100Km and pass about 80-100 cars in the middle lane on your way.
    Yeah I like to be in the inside lane on the Naas Road, you can see for miles ahead and no danger of running into the back of someone.

But what really takes the biscuit is traffic from Belgard Road turning left on to the N7. Every week I see a few people break the always-on red lights (buses only) on the slip lane from the Belgard Inn. Then most drivers drive in the Bus lane so as to block it's use by the fire station so the emergency services can be seen going down the wrong way of the carraige way. When they get to the turn there is a half mile long acceleration lane for you to merge with the N7. Few if any people use it. The traffic from the M50 is held back by red lights so there is always a clear road and rarely anyone to overtake. I've seen people get into the middle lane within 100m of the turn with no one in front of them in the inside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

St0n3d wrote: »
    I think every here misses the point

We have people like that on our motorways for several reasons.

A. Full Licences were handed out years ago to anyone wearing an ape suit.

B. We now have 1000's of foreign nationists on our roads, not knowing the difference of right and left lanes. ( Not the biggest issue , most are ok)

C. We have noone to enforce the right lane for faster traffic, Your oblidged to pull over, some people just stay there and think " Sure use the left lane"

D. Imo, 50% of the people on motorways are L drivers , whether or not they have there plates up, or if they're just one of those older people who never bothered with full and doesnt use L.

Irish road safety sucks, People need to open eyes to wha's happening out there.

A. Most people on the roads now have passed the (admittedly bogstandard) test. The % of corn flakes box and lucky dip licencees on the road is fairly low.

C. The right lane is for overtaking not for faster traffic which tells me you belong in the category of people you're complaining about in point B. If you're faster than the traffic in the left hand lane but not overtaking or about to overtake soon, you should be in the left lane. You are not obliged to move over until it is safe regardless of a light flashing speeder behind you.

D. Far less than 50% of drivers are learners and I'd say the ratio is very unlikely to be higher on the motorway. If anything it would be lower because at least some L drivers do respect the no motorway rule.

You're not a taxi driver are you by any chance? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Driving is about common sense as well as rules and regulations. Motorway drivers in Ireland are equally poor drivers on all other road's. Most of us are aware how to drive with manner's and a degree of professionalism. I put up a lot of miles in my job and some of the antics I see are worthy of a show on tv (worlds thickest cnuts) But what really pisses me off is how few traffic police we have. It seems like the worse the offence the less likely there is to be a Guard near by. Unless we spend more on education for drivers early on in life (secondary school) and have a dedicated traffic corps (not just a few out of date cops) along the lines of the Thames Valley police. We are going to just have to grin and bear it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When you look at road safety statistics that compare motorways to other roads our motorways are very un-safe.
    In most other countries motorways are three or four times safer than other roads based on numbers killed / vehicle mile, Even in Slovenia motorways are twice as safe.

In the UK motorways are 4.5 times safer than non-motorways.
    Ours are barely 50% safer than non-motorways and we can't blame poor funding or the age of the roads.
    In fact if you were naive enough you could conclude that our motorways were only safer than normal roads only because of the extra L drivers on non-motorways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_safety#Motorway

It's not rocket science - a little visible enforcement should go a long way.
    things that don't seem to be enforced at the moment
    60kmph limit on the M50
    80kmph limit on artics and they aren't used the outside lane
    L-Plates on motorway

some keep left unless overtaking signs would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

some keep left unless overtaking signs would be nice

Then you will have gob sh*ts driving on hard shoulder :eek:

Just past a tractor on M1 between Ardee and Dundalk this evening. Not seen that type of thing on M1 before, but real regular occurence on M7 between Naas and Newbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I love the people who only indicate if they're changing lanes moving right but don't indicate changing back. :mad:

When i was being taught to drive i was told i didnt need to indicate back to the left lane after and overtaking manover. That was in the North though, could be different here.

X

You're not a taxi driver are you by any chance? :rolleyes:

Lol :)

No. But i have to say, in general terms the right lane is for faster traffic, I didnt escalate to say it's technically for when you need to overtake,

I disagree with people driving constant in the right lane, howveer, I disagree with people doing 50 mph in the other lane.

I will always overtake on the motorway, i can't understand why people get on and do their hair or their nails. Its a motorway, its a fast road which you use to get to places.

Majority of people hop into the slow lane and txt, eat, drink, or just dose away .

So you cant argue my statements in the slightest, what is law and what is actually right are two different things. If 100 cars drive at 50 mph in lane 1, then of course majority are going to move to lane 2 to get past.

What is the point in trying to get back into lane 1 at some stage up the road , when you meet another bafoon thinking hes doing lightspeed, jamming on the reggae with nothing but a smile on his face crusing along at knotspeed.

Your gonna swing out again, overtake, try to get back in, and the cycle repeats.

Bottom line, people have no clue how to drive. Argue it all you want, Look around and you'll see exactly what i mean..

To say the least, iv dodged at least 16 accidents since i changed my car, all of which people changing lanes without checking there blind spot, people pulling out fast, people on the phone on roundabouts.. i could rant all day. But the fact is, our system sucks, one day driving test should not decide whether or not your "road safe". I would even go so far as sayign any monkey can learn to hold a trumpet for one day while being watched.

BUt later on that day, or 5 years later. Does the monkey really care what way he holds it, if he can even still do it? This is why we lose 1000's of innocent drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

+1 for 6foot7. Driver training is a joke and the test's even worse.

Have you guys ever noticed the speedlimit signs on the M50 entry slips ? They're plain stupidity : the 120 kph sign is placed where the motorway meets the slip. Not at the start of the slip where it should be. Surprised that Slowdown Byrne hasn't brought that one up yet...

St0n3d, I take your point about the eejits going 50mph (80km/h in new money) on the left. I'm just saying that if you're not going to be overtaking anytime soon, there's no need to be in the overtaking lane. I'm not suggesting that you move back in if you're gaining on another car ahead that's reasonably close.

I wish people would stop using the terms fast and slow lane. It encourages incorrect behaviour on carriageways/motorways.

Anyway I won't argue that the general standard of driving wrt the ROTR and common sense is quite poor in Ireland. The texters/makeup appliers/newspaper readers etc. should obviously be lined up against a wall and given a dose of lead/penalty points.

About the monkey and his trumpet, I've never seen or heard of an accident caused by a monkey holding a trumpet incorrectly :D
    I am in favour of periodic driver re-testing but the learner backlog will obviously take priority here. I think the best short term way of improving driving in this country is flooding the place with unmarked Garda cars (not Mondeos).

Luckily i have a more developed six sense for shades...

Cant quite explain that one.

But yeah the terms fast and slow are suggesting you plough into the other lane and take over the slow guys.

Its really another lane for overtaking. Simple as.

Teh speed sign coming off the motorway into lucan bypass i think, its a disgrace, my father happened to be doing 86 Km comin in off the motorway and they did him in that 80km zone. I never even and still to this day find it hard to see that sign..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

xabi wrote: »
    When i was being taught to drive i was told i didnt need to indicate back to the left lane after and overtaking manover. That was in the North though, could be different here.

X

I was actually told that too, on my one pretest (3 hours!), and in the south. Still do, though...

Another reason we have lunatics on the road. It starts with the instructors lack of knowledge and experience. Hes combed by his own habits and must pass them on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You dont not use indicators when overtaking on a single carrigeway as you are supposed to be traveling in the left lane, however on dual c or on any road where there are 2 lanes of traffic traveling in the one drection indicators must be used for any lane change. I have done, car, rigid and artic tests, passed all first time too for the smartarses who will surely come along after i've posted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

slideways wrote: »
    You dont not use indicators when overtaking on a single carrigeway

Thats rubbish surely?

Hmm. Lets look at it..

Single carrigeway can consist of more than one lane of traffic going in the one direction.

Therefore,. Your stil swithing lanes, you moving across, therefore are a danger of hitting someone beside you.. Of course you have to indicate. THe idiot who thought of that, told the guy that going around a roundabout it doesnt matter what lane you take ..

• Advertisement

i know you have to use indicators while moving out and while you are in the righthand lane on a single carrigeway, but not when you are moving back into the left lane, i should have used quotes to show what i was refering too
    Originally Posted by xabi

St0n3d wrote: »
    Another reason we have lunatics on the road. It starts with the instructors lack of knowledge and experience. Hes combed by his own habits and must pass them on..

+1. The number of driving instructors passing on really poor understanding of the rules and bad driving style is unbelievable.
    slideways wrote: »
    You dont not use indicators when overtaking on a single carrigeway as you are supposed to be traveling in the left lane, however on dual c or on any road where there are 2 lanes of traffic traveling in the one drection indicators must be used for any lane change. I have done, car, rigid and artic tests, passed all first time too for the smartarses who will surely come along after i've posted

Think you should edit that to say that you don't have to indicate back in. You do have to indicate out when overtaking on a normal road, but it's not necessary when you're moving back in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

To me it seems that, even worse than Irish driving, are drivers from places like Australia and the US, where automatic cars have made people lazy and dangerous. There are a lot of agressive speeding drivers all over australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

xabi wrote: »
    When i was being taught to drive i was told i didnt need to indicate back to the left lane after and overtaking manover

Yep, when I was taught to drive (on the continent, more than half of my life time ago) you did not need to do that. Soon after I passed my test, it changed to having to indicate when moving back into the driving lane. It's good practice to indicate before making any move imho

To me it seems that, even worse than Irish driving, are drivers from places like Australia and the US, where automatic cars have made people lazy and dangerous. There are a lot of agressive speeding drivers all over australia.
    I'd have to dis agree here, they are quite aggressive and they do not give way whatsoever even if you are driving a lorry over there (speaking from exp) but they do not speed. it is very rare if you are doing 5 or 10ks over the speed limit to be overtaken. All cop cars can detect your speed even if both cars are driving and they are traveling in the opp direction.(exp again.. 25ks over 250 dollar fine and 4 points)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 6foot7

well,
    seems this thread is going well.

first, a few post in here said their our 1000st of foreign.
    are you joking?
    most people from those countries do have motorways for at least 30 years and even more.
    we do know the difference between right and left.
    anyway.
    as i went to germany over xmas i drove the "autobahn" a2 from Oberhausen to berlin, 3 lanes in each direction, funny to see that even many irish and uk drivers did the same as they do here on motorways

1.) driving the **** out of their cars without taking care
    2.) blocking the fast or the middle lane
    3.) do not take care of roadsigns.

espec. in germany, ok, everybody thinks there is no speed limit, this only happens on a few motorways and only to keep the traffic flowing.
    now, the "trafficlaw" says that you always have to drive on the inner lane, even on 3 lane or 4 lane motorways, the other lanes are for takong over.
    ok, many people are afraid while driving between two or more trucks and also afraid nobody would let them out to pass by.
    but it works, even with in some stage aggressiv german drivers, just set the indikator and go.
    still tho, i think it is the license system and the fakt that driving is only popular since maybe 10 years.
    friend told me he could count the cars in galway with two hand just 25 years ago.
    as well another effect is, to many young guys driving too big and fast cars (i know has nothing to do with this thread)
    anyway, need coffee -))

rene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

kbannon wrote: »
    Merging is easy. Just drive along the slip road and then suddenly drive over the white lines of the ghost traffic island causing the cars to brake - sure weren't they going to fast anyway so I'm making the roads safer!

your starting to sound like Sandwich!!! Only joking.:D

Advertisement