Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam and Creation?

• 08-02-2008 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

In Christianity there is a Creation God. God created the world. Is that how Muslims see it? If not, how is the existence - or the beginning - of everything explained in Islam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

In Christianity there is a Creation God. God created the world. Is that how Muslims see it? If not, how is the existence - or the beginning - of everything explained in Islam?

It seems people fear a creationist type discussion :D

Well from my understanding Islam does believe in creation. I'm sure if you search the quran you will find many references to it.
    One that comes to mind is in surat 7 : Al-A'raf (The Heights) verse 54

"....your lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

Hi MeditationMom,
    Yes Muslims believes that God created and still creates everything, there are many references to this in the Quran.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jari

mulsim beleives allah (god) creates heavans and earth, human been and sent messengers to human been to show them the way to worship him

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

Thank you everyone - that clears it up. It sounds the same then, unlike in Buddhism where there really is no creation God.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Thank you everyone - that clears it up. It sounds the same then, unlike in Buddhism where there really is no creation God.

So am I correct in thinking that in Buddhism the god have no real power. I mean they were once just normal people ?

And do buddhists concern themselves with creation at all ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The pretty much the same as in Christianity.
    Especially how the first chapter in the Bible, Genisis starts out with how God created the universe in seven (six?) days. Its sorta the same concept in Islam.

Though things go into a more detailed and advanced level in the Quran where God hints about creating the universe from an explosion (the big bang), how all the planets, earth and moon were created. And how humans were created, what they were created for, why are they on earth and all.
    Its not all stated in a clear and obvious manner, but if you research into it, you'll find out a lot of facts about the universe that have been stated in the Quran.

by af_thefragile - Though things go into a more detailed and advanced level in the Quran where God hints about creating the universe from an explosion (the big bang),

Very interesting - about the explosion. That is a big difference to the Bible. I am curious about the other details, too. Will have to study more -
    by Medina - Yes Muslims believes that God created and still creates everything,

I think that is also a big difference. I am not sure a Christian would think that God is still creating anything. It was finished and it was good, and then he rested - I believe is the Christian faith.
    by DinoBot - So am I correct in thinking that in Buddhism the god have no real power. I mean they were once just normal people ? And do buddhists concern themselves with creation at all ?

That is correct from what I understand. God is absolute powerlessness! To Buddhists that is the greatest power.

Where "they?" just normal people? I am not sure quite what you are asking. It is true that in Buddhism it is believed that through meditation (prayer) and practice everyone can reach enlightenment which means Absolute Oneness - in other words, no distinction between you/God, time/space, All/Nothing - it is also called Buddhahood. This idea of getting enlightened seems to be absent in mainstream Christianity and Islam. Although in more "heretic" parts of both faiths - Gnostics and Sufis - there is such a thing as this mystical union. Also, yes, Buddha was a normal person destined to either be a great king or spiritual teacher. Similar to Jesus in the desert struggling with worldly power and the spiritual life. To Buddhist this is the struggle with attachment to what is impermanent versus that which is eternal.

Regarding creation - Buddhism, from what I understand, teaches that creation is ongoing, and doesn't exist at the same time. It is a very abstract religion with deepest trust and faith in the compassion and perfection of the Universe arranging itself according to our individual needs to progress towards liberation. This would be equivalent to accepting what is, as in "Allah knows best" in Islam. To a Buddhist this thought would be more like "the Universe/Life/Karma knows best", or a Christian "Not mine, but Thy will be done." All three religions teaching the same surrendered, trusting, humble attitude, using slightly different words and ideas we fight endless wars over in our blindness.

I cannot speak for all Buddhists, but this is the way I understand it. All I have is meditation experience and am not a scholar. We are fooled by the world and our senses with a false sense of separation from God and can rediscover this Oneness even before we die. Once we do, kindness and compassion is the natural outcome. But all religions teach to practice this love and compassion even before we realize the truth as a way to reach this enlightenment or reunion with God.

Blessings - MM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Very interesting - about the explosion. That is a big difference to the Bible. I am curious about the other details, too. Will have to study more -

http://emuslim.com/QuranandScience/Astronomy.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

I am not sure a Christian would think that God is still creating anything. It was finished and it was good, and then he rested - I believe is the Christian faith.

Its a good point to put forward..

Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe that GOD created the universe. now the argument is...did GOD just creat a repetitive formula in which life is programmed to or does GOD still creates new life all the time?

GOD has created life and set a cycle for all beings including evolution. but when it comes to humans I believe that GOD has created each soul since the creation of time/universe. Each soul follows a set pattren in time, when to be born and when to die and move on.

Thats my personal thought on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

It's an interesting point but impossible to know for sure unless of course someone can bring to light a verse from the Quran or an authentic hadith that can show otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Refreshing to read an article showing that it is possible to reconcile the teachings of ones faith with current sciencific knowledge.

Or perhaps I am just sending too much time reading the mega creationism thread :)

From the posted Website -Things exist by his will
    "When we decree a thing, We need only say: 'Be', and it is "
    [Al-Qur�an 5:32]

Peace be with you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

The pretty much the same as in Christianity.
    Especially how the first chapter in the Bible, Genisis starts out with how God created the universe in seven (six?) days.

He created it in six days, and rested on the seventh. Though quite why an omnipotent god needs to rest is beyond me...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jari

that means for u god is like a human being; he is weak and has to rest in the seventh day. that is not god! We believe that the world was created in six days full stop, no rest day needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Jari wrote: »
    that means for u god is like a human being; he is weak and has to rest in the seventh day. that is not god! We believe that the world was created in six days full stop, no rest day needed.

Well at least that is a more sensible belief.

Advertisement