Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news, good news.

Options
  • 08-02-2008 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

The following letter from the family's solicitor is addressed to a member of the British aristocracy who has been spending much of the summer in his residence in the south of France leaving his wife in the United Kingdom to look after the ancestral home.

Dear Sir Royston,

I hope you are having a good time on your holiday. I say this with sincerity because I am afraid that I have some bad news for you, although there is good news too. First the bad news. I am sorry to tell you that your favorite dog, Honey, is dead. The vet says that she died instantly and could have felt no pain. She was kicked in the head by your prize Arab stallion Sherbert, though I'm sure that no blame can be attached to the horse, frightened as he was by the fire in the barn.

I'm afraid that Sherbert was in the barn along with your other horses when it burnt to the ground. The fire brigade had been called within a short time of the barn catching fire and would normally have been able to put the fire out. Had it had not been for the fact that the tender crashed into your Bentley in the lane. Your wife had taken it out for a spin with the gardener. As it was, both the tender and your Bently were written off. No blame can be attached to your wife for the accident I'm sure.

The Bentley was stationary at the time and your wife was in the back seat of the car. She managed to escape death only due to the fact that the gardener was lying on top of her at the time of the collision. The doctors say that given time she will regain her sight but that she will never walk again. She has also lost her memory and cannot even remember you. The gardener is paralysed and has issued a lawsuit against the Estate.

I should explain how the barn came to be on fire in the first place. You see a spark from the main house blew over and set the roof alight. The fire started in the main hall of the house where a gust of wind knoked over a lighted candle whih was on your mother's coffin.

As I said, there is some good news. The heat from the fire warmed your greenhouse and the daffodils are coming up three weeks early.

Sincerely,

Jeeves

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

Mr Royston had to spend a couple of days in the hospital.
    He was a royal pain to the nurses because he bossed them around just like he did his employees. None of the hospital staff wanted to have anything to do with him.
    The head nurse was the only one who could stand up to him. She walked into his room and announced, "I have to take your temperature."
    After complaining for several minutes, he finally settled down, crossed his arms and opened his mouth.
    "No, I'm sorry, the nurse stated, "but for this reading, I can't use an oral thermometer."
    This started another round of complaining, but eventually he rolled over and bared his behind.
    After feeling the nurse insert the thermometer, he heard her announce, "I have to get something. Now you stay JUST LIKE THAT until I get back!"
    She leaves the door to his room open on her way out. He curses under his breath as he hears people walking past his door, laughing. After almost an hour, the man's doctor comes into the room.
    "What's going on here?" asked the doctor.
    Angrily, the man answers, "What's the matter, Doc? Haven't you ever seen someone having their temperature taken before?"
    After a pause, the doctor replies, "Yes, but never with a daffodil!"

Advertisement