Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romeo And Juliet @ The Abbey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Great idea to have a bebo page. Very good mode of publicity. I'll be going to see it in March. I'm glad to hear that you're impressed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ruby Rainbow

Yeah having a bebo page seems pretty clever marketing idea doesnt it, and in fairness most of the crowd at the show were teenage so its appropriate...
    Wouldn't recommend any plays on Broadway to create bebo's though :o

Yeah having a bebo page seems pretty clever marketing idea doesnt it, and in fairness most of the crowd at the show were teenage so its appropriate...
    Wouldn't recommend any plays on Broadway to create bebo's though :o

Anyone who wants to make their show a success should probably use as many publicity outlets as possible (especially free ones). And many shows on Broadway are flops! I don't think anyone can afford to be snobby about publicity in the theatre world.

I wasn't really thinking of teenagers when I complimented the bebo page actually (though you do have a point there). But the fact is, is that something like a bebo is much better and more versatile than a theatre website, from my experience. From looking at it, it's like a virtual programme, as compared to the tiny snippets you get on a standard theatre website, which can be quite unsatisfying if you're trying to suss out if it's in anyway a quality production. Also, having pics of the actors is better than just names, since many of us know "your man" to see, but don't necessarily know his name.

Any theatre-goer who is any way net-savvy would find a bebo page to be a good information source on a production I think, no matter that age they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

I saw it tonight-really enjoyed it. Amazing set and costumes were fantastic-really loved the music. You don't expect special effects in the middle of Romeo and Juliet but it had those too!The guy playing Romeo didn't look the part at all and really surprised me at first but he acted his wee socks off....was a great night. Hope it does well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

I saw it tonight-really enjoyed it. Amazing set and costumes were fantastic-really loved the music. You don't expect special effects in the middle of Romeo and Juliet but it had those too!The guy playing Romeo didn't look the part at all and really surprised me at first but he acted his wee socks off....was a great night. Hope it does well for them.

Saw the play a couple of days ago and agree totally with the above comments.

The most memorable part of the play for me was the party/feast held at the start of the play, really mysterious and sexy......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Yes, I agree, the play was fantastic, most depressing play I've ever been too though.

Yes, the guy playing Romeo wasn't what you'd usually expect Romeo to look like (my drama lecturer said as much), I thought he looked sorta like Shane McGowan

It being Shakespeare meant my attention kept waning in the middle of it, but I still quite enjoyed it. Was very impressed with the set, and wasn't expecting the pyrotechnics!

Loved the apothecary too :D

It's interesting actually since Romeo & Juliet are actually going out in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBe0W8Fgk-E

See they've even done out a trailer for the production. Nice idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭phaze

i've just booked tickets! Looking forward to seeing it!

Very good production I thought and amazing set pieces. That stuff with the rain was excellent! Well done Abbey Theatre! They've got a lot of stick recently for bad artistic management and general incompetence, but the last three plays I've seen there in a row were all excellent and all very well attended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I went to see it last night and during the sword fight between Tybalt and Mercutio, Mercutio's sword broke and went flyin off into the first row, luckilly no-one was injured but could have been very nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭phaze

I went to see this on Thursday night and was somewhat disappointed to be honest. I thought the set and lighting were superb, Juliet very strong. The nurse was simply brilliant - real comic relief! And I liked the Friar but in general I thought it lacked the passion and intensity that should define Romeo and Juliet. In many places it felt as if the lines were merely reamed off without any consideration of the meaning. There were fabulous moments but it was inconsistent.

The rain was superb though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beautiful

Just to go back to the free publicity...Im living in london now and have found that Facebook is a great tool to get to your audience...I have used it for a muscial theatre production I put on and found it really useful. Word gets around very quick!

Advertisement