Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

not sleeping well

• 08-02-2008 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭

hi all am on day 3 off the fags , anyhow i'm having problems sleeping , I keep waking every hour or so and then go back to sleep wake again etc. I'm on the 24 hour patch and am wondering is it to do with this, i normally stay asleep once asleep, (prior to quitting).
    has anyone else experiences of this, is it just the withdrawals and not the patches?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Did you read the leaflet that came with the patches?
    It might mention something about it there.

I do know that it affects everyone differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

I tried the 24 hour patches in the past and found they gave me very vivid dreams/nightmares and night sweats....in the end, I started removing the patch an hour before bed (figuring I never smoked when asleep anyway) and there was an instant improvement. It meant a little edginess the next morning until a new patch took effect but was worth it for a good nights sleep! Give it a try.

Good luck with your quit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

gl Brother Patrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I think every that quits gets disturbed sleeping patterns during the first few weeks even if they aren't using patches.

I would definitely recommend drinking plenty of water and fruit juices throughout the day and I found taking Vit. B Complex tablets is a great help too.

Only another few days op and you will be over the worst of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Feelgood wrote: »
    I think every that quits gets disturbed sleeping patterns during the first few weeks even if they aren't using patches.

Yeah I think this is probably true, I had really bad nights for the first week or so and wasn't using patches, still feel my sleeping is a little disturbed after nearly 6 weeks.

Op, things that I found helped me were plenty of water and excercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭patrickc

Wreck wrote: »
    Yeah I think this is probably true, I had really bad nights for the first week or so and wasn't using patches, still feel my sleeping is a little disturbed after nearly 6 weeks.

Op, things that I found helped me were plenty of water and excercise.

i do want to start jogging again, but in time

Terry wrote: »
    Did you read the leaflet that came with the patches?
    It might mention something about it there.

I do know that it affects everyone differently.

i did terry, it said morer about nightmares, and making you sleepy than lack of sleeping.
    govinda wrote: »
    I tried the 24 hour patches in the past and found they gave me very vivid dreams/nightmares and night sweats....in the end, I started removing the patch an hour before bed (figuring I never smoked when asleep anyway) and there was an instant improvement. It meant a little edginess the next morning until a new patch took effect but was worth it for a good nights sleep! Give it a try.

Good luck with your quit!

thats why i didnt go for the 16hr ones because as soon as i was up i always had a cig,
    vivid dreams definitely im getting, i dont feel strong enough to fight that morning pang yet, so will leave it on another few nights i think.
    cheers govinda
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    gl Brother Patrick

thanks brother
    Feelgood wrote: »

I would definitely recommend drinking plenty of water and fruit juices throughout the day and I found taking Vit. B Complex tablets is a great help too.

Only another few days op and you will be over the worst of it...

ive been eating fruit and drinking way more water, juices than normal,

id say im getting enough vit c from the amount of grapefruit im eating drinking;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Stick with it, OP.

You're doing great.

thanks big b, i think the hardest thing is being around other smokers, and it still smells good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I don't understand the logic behind 24 hour patches, and yet I do! I always took off patch before bed and put on when I got up. Once or twice I forgot and had awful time sleeping and having nightmares. Thought I was going mad :eek: The body isn't used to having nicotine while asleep so that's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I had this as well. It lasts about two weeks. You don't need the patches at night. Take them off going to bed.

missmatty wrote: »
    I don't understand the logic behind 24 hour patches, and yet I do! I always took off patch before bed and put on when I got up. Once or twice I forgot and had awful time sleeping and having nightmares. Thought I was going mad :eek: The body isn't used to having nicotine while asleep so that's the problem.

yeh that was my thinking too.
    kmick wrote: »
    I had this as well. It lasts about two weeks. You don't need the patches at night. Take them off going to bed.

is it not a killer in the morning, before the new patch kicks in?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

im now off the smokes 4mths i had tried the will power thing the patches the gum the willpower again but in oct i went for the hypnosis with the ash programme. and i feel great mate all i can say is keep it up the benifits are huge im now jogging 6km must days after a 15 yr 30 a day habit. so good luk 2u my friend....

thanks to all for your support around quitting, and well done to thosw who are off them successfully.

anyhow didnt use the patch last night and slept well

Advertisement