Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Players in the AFL

• 08-02-2008 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Would a thread to keep an eye on the Irish lads playing in the AFL be appropriate?

Can someone a bit more knowledgable do up a list?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tadhg Kennelly - Sydney Swans
    Brendan Murphy - Sydney Swans (Rookie)
    Setanta O'hAilpin - Carlton Blues
    Aisake O'hAilpin - Carlton Blues (Rookie)
    Martin Clarke - Collingwood Magpies
    Kevin Dyas - Collingwood Magpies (Rookie)
    Colm Begley - Brisbane Lions
    Pierce Hanley - Brisbane Lions (Rookie)

That's all I can think of at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cheers.

Does "Rookie" mean they won't be in the squad this coming season?

DesF wrote: »
    Cheers.

Does "Rookie" mean they won't be in the squad this coming season?

No they can play no bother, just that they probably won't. It just means it's their first year. Most likely they'll play regional football in say the VFL, WAFL etc to gain experience. Kinda like a Munster player playing for Cork Constitution. Players who are coming back from injury etc would play there as well so it's a stepping stone to the AFL.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Kinda like a Munster player playing for Cork Constitution.
    Is this a rugger analogy?

Sorry, but I have no idea what that means.

Would it be like a Shels player playing for Boardeaux?:)

Is this a rugger analogy?

Sorry, but I have no idea what that means.

Would it be like a Shels player playing for Boardeaux?:)

Ha possibly.

I was gonna use a GAA analogy but that'd probably go way over the head too.

Ok so a lad plays for Thomas Davis in Tallaght, he can then be called up to the Dubs (i.e. Eagles). Every player has a club. Rookies are allocated one if they aren't from that state.

• Advertisement

Ha possibly.

I was gonna use a GAA analogy but that'd probably go way over the head too.

Ok so a lad plays for Thomas Davis in Tallaght, he can then be called up to the Dubs (i.e. Eagles). Every player has a club. Rookies are allocated one if they aren't from that state.
    Ya know, you could have used ANY other club in the country.

But NOOOO, you had to pick TD. :mad::D

Ya know, you could have used ANY other club in the country.

But NOOOO, you had to pick TD. :mad::D

I swear it's one of those horrible coincidences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

did aisake play any games last year? if not he'd want to be getting some game time this year.
    they saying hanley is a great prospect and should make it once he toughens up a little,
    on the rookie thing is there a law the a team can only have 2 foreign rookies but ireland is excluded:confused: thought i heard that before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Dyas started for Collingwood against Adelaide this morning in the NAB game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Tadhg Kennelly - Sydney Swans
    Brendan Murphy - Sydney Swans (Rookie)
    Setanta O'hAilpin - Carlton Blues
    Aisake O'hAilpin - Carlton Blues (Rookie)
    Martin Clarke - Collingwood Magpies
    Kevin Dyas - Collingwood Magpies (Rookie)
    Colm Begley - Brisbane Lions
    Pierce Hanley - Brisbane Lions (Rookie)

That's all I can think of at the mo

Aisake O'hAilpin isn't rookie listed this year. He's been elevated to the senior list.

It was either that or delist him. Can't be a rookie for more than 3 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PatCarr

Murphy doesn't want another year as rookie. Needs to go senior. Great prospect but needs weight... and quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I thought Murphy only came out a few months ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

telecaster wrote: »
    Dyas started for Collingwood against Adelaide this morning in the NAB game

Anyone know how Dyas is getting on?? A friend of mine played on Armagh underage teams with him and said there were high expectations of him in AFL even though it's early doors.
    Physically he should be able to cope in the AFL, providing he grasp the skills well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ybbi

Well with the recruitment of Irish players well underway, here are some of the new guys been trialled.

Signed
    Kyle Coney (Tyrone) - Sydney Swans

Possible
    Conor Meredith (Laois) - Brisbane Lions
    Zac Tuohy (Laois) - Carlton
    Brian Donnelly (Louth) - Adelaide Crows
    Christopher McKaigue (Derry) - Sydney Swans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mickdlk

Brain Donnely signed for the Year with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

ybbi wrote: »
    Well with the recruitment of Irish players well underway, here are some of the new guys been trialled.

Signed
    Kyle Coney (Tyrone) - Sydney Swans

Possible
    Conor Meredith (Laois) - Brisbane Lions
    Zac Tuohy (Laois) - Carlton
    Brian Donnelly (Louth) - Adelaide Crows
    Christopher McKaigue (Derry) - Sydney Swans

In the paper today that Kyle Coney may not take up the contract after all.
    It was a piece about Sean Cavanagh and he mentions how he's trying to persuade him to stay in Ireland and the kids parents are in favour of him staying.
    Seen him playing club football in Tyrone and he was class. If he stays he'll be in the Tyrone team very soon.

Brian Donnelly is a surprise move imo. He must have had a cracking trial or is just suited to AFL because I wouldn't have though he was of the necessary quality. I know a young Armagh player who I would consider to be a far better player and was never contacted to go on trial.
    Do the players get approached or do they contact someone to make themselves available??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

They get approached!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

kev nolan for dublin rejected a move to AFL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Aisake is being let go by Carlton. Cant believe they stuck with him for 4 years. Thought he'd surely go last year, but now he's been delisted anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

The Lions are after de-listing Begley. New coach doesn't see him fitting in with his plans.

• Advertisement

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69353
    Begley the latest Lions casualty

By Luke Holmesby 3:24 PM Tue 28 October, 2008

IN A surprise move, defender Colm Begley has been delisted by the Brisbane Lions.

Begley, who is in the Irish squad for the Toyota International Rules series, was delisted after playing 29 games for the Lions since being recruited at the end of 2005 from county Laois.

The 22-year-old played 19 AFL matches in 2007 but could only manage eight this season due to a quad injury.

Begley was listed as an international rookie in 2006, 2007 and 2008, and because he does not turn 23 until next year, is eligible to be to be picked up as a rookie by any club next season.

Begley is the latest delisting at the Lions, joining Matthew Moody, Robert Copeland, Wayde Mills, Hayden Kiel and Chris Schmidt in being shown the door.

Anthony Corrie has been traded to Collingwood and Nigel Lappin has retired.

Rookie Scott Coulston has been elevated to the main list.

Beau McDonald, who retired at the start of the season, has joined the club as part-time ruck coach, replacing premiership teammate Clark Keating.

McDonald, 28, played 91 matches with the Lions including the 2001 and 2002 premierships.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets picked up as a rookie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

any word on the Ohampins future ?

Well Setanta is still on the Blues official roster but no sign of the other fella.

Word is that the new coach at Brisbane doesn't like the idea of Irish players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 civic_4_sale

ruining laois football! colm begly, looking for meredith,tuohy and probably kingston in a few years.... hard one to call if its right for them to go or not.

hard one to call if its right for them to go or not.

Not in my mind.

option one

go to sunny australia and get a guaranteed paid position for what may only be a couple of years, but could be a very lucrative career.

option two

stay in rainy cold recession hit ireland and play for laois.

I know which I'd choose, tbh.

Conor is gone and Zack has already commited to it....and kingston as said he doesn't want to go for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ybbi

a few more Irish boys are on trials at the mo.
    see article below

From realfooty.com.au.

The teenager voted Ireland's best young Gaelic footballer will train with St Kilda later this month as he weighs up a possible move to the AFL.

Forward Tommy Walsh, 19, was last month named the Gaelic Athletic Association's young footballer of the year, so the news that the amateur Ireland could lose him to the AFL is expected to cause consternation in his homeland.

Player manager Ricky Nixon, who helped convince the forward to try his hand at the Australian game as part of his Irish talent-spotting program, acknowledged as much.

"It probably won't make people in Ireland too happy, but he's coming out," Nixon told Melbourne's SEN radio.

"I can't tell you if he'll want to play or stay or if he'll be good enough but he's definitely one of the best talents that I've seen."

Walsh played for Kerry in this year's All Ireland final.

Nixon described him as an athletic power forward "in the mould of a Wayne Carey type" and said he was the most exciting prospect of the large group of Irish youngsters his recruiting team had looked at.

"We pulled off a pretty big coup ... he's previously resisted every attempt to get him out here," he said.

He will come to Australia in a fortnight and train with the Saints for a week, although that does not rule out other AFL clubs recruiting him.

Nixon's program has resulted in several other Irish youngsters currently training or intending to train with AFL clubs.

Conor Meredith and Niall McKeever are currently with Richmond.

Next week, Meredith will train with North Melbourne, while McKeever will spend the week with the Saints.

Another Irishman, James Kielt, will train with both the Kangaroos and St Kilda in coming weeks, while Walsh and compatriot David Moran will try their hand with the Saints.

But Nixon said his systematic recruiting scheme was no reason for the Irish to be afraid that their youngsters would start heading to the AFL in droves.

He said the more likely outcome was that those who came to Australia would be better prepared and suited for an AFL career because they had been more thoroughly tested.

Under AFL rules, if a club reaches an agreement with an Irish player, the club can nominate them ahead of the rookie draft, guaranteeing they are able to recruit them to their rookie list.

And another one.....

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=108329
    Bombers sign Irishman to AFL

16th November 2008, 12:15 WST

Essendon have signed their first international AFL rookie, putting Irish teenager Michael Quinn on their list.

The 18-year-old trialled with the club late in the season and is the latest Irish youngster to attempt an AFL career.

He will be one of six rookie-listed players at Essendon and will start playing with VFL affiliate Bendigo next year to help his development.

“He is very athletic and we were impressed with his physical ability and good attitude,” Essendon recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro said.

“Michael is very keen to learn and hungry to succeed so we think that gives him a good chance to play AFL football for Essendon.

“The big issue for him and all Irish recruits is his skill level, particularly his kicking, so we will need to put plenty of work into that area.

“Also, Gaelic football doesn't require the tackling skills that are so important in AFL so he will have to learn to lay a strong tackle and break tackles from opponents.”

Quinn, who is from Killoe in County Longford, said he always wanted to play professional football.

“Maybe in another month or so I will have a better idea where I am at - I am starting at the beginning so it's difficult to tell," he said.

“I need to work up through the steps - first is work on ball use, skills and bulking up and then get into some good training sessions and practice matches.

“Then I can get into playing for the Bendigo Bombers and try and play consistently for them and work my way up.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Any truth in the rumours about Tommy Walsh (kerry) and Ian Ryan (limerick) are headin out there???

Yes, it's true!

Begley was picked up by St. Kilda at the weekend's draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oneeyedman

FROM EXAMINER.IE

Irish players registered with AFL clubs:

Sydney Swans: Tadhg Kennelly (Kerry); Brendan Murphy (Carlow); Kyle Coney (Tyrone).

Carlton Blues: Setanta Ó hAilpín (Cork).

Collingwood: Martin Clarke (Down); Kevin Dyas (Armagh)

St Kilda: Colm Begley (Laois).

Brisbane Lions: Pierce Hanley (Mayo).

North Melbourne : Conor Meredith (Laois).

Essendon: Michael Quinn (Longford).

Adelaide Crows: Brian Donnelly (Louth).

Coney, Meredith, Quinn, Donnelly were recruited this season

Rumours today that Hanley may get elevated from the rookie list next week.

Must have really impressed that new coach cause supposedly he doesn't like Irish guys...hence way Begley was let go and didn't sign Meredith!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bins

:)

bins wrote: »
    :)
    Care to add anything to that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Anyone know anything about Pearce Hanley? Is he the next Tadgh Kennelly or Marty Clarke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mo_town

dSTAR wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about Pearce Hanley? Is he the next Tadgh Kennelly or Marty Clarke?

His first game for Brisbane was great except for the deciding moment of the game when he was judged to have thrown the ball. Must be a habit brought from Gaelic as most gaelic hand passes are not legal. However, I believe that the Aussies are raving about his potential so lets see!

think I saw something in the paper at the weekend about Kyle Cooney turning down Sydney and staying at home. think Mickey Harte had a big influence in it according to Brendan Murphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

mo_town wrote: »
    His first game for Brisbane was great except for the deciding moment of the game when he was judged to have thrown the ball. Must be a habit brought from Gaelic as most gaelic hand passes are not legal. However, I believe that the Aussies are raving about his potential so lets see!

thought his debut last season (v carlton) was promising.

that handball incident aside thouhgt he acquitted himself well.

was disappointed when matthews left as he taught highly of hanley,hopefully voss thinks likewise.

big year too for setanta at princes park,injury ended his season prematurely last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Any news on Aisake?

havent heard of any club having any interest in him whatsoever, so I expect his AFL spell is over. If it took a last ditch draft pick for Colm Begley who has played up to 30 first team games to stay in the game, then I doubt if Aisake will ever make it. 3/4 years or however long it was and no signs of any improvement or making a breakthrough at a poor club.

he might be striking in support of the Cork hurlers maybe too tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

IRISH-BORN PLAYERS IN AFL
    Jim Stynes (Melb) — 264 games 130 goals
    Stuart Magee (Sth Melb/Foots) — 216 games 149 goals
    TADHG KENNELLY (Syd) — 158 games 29 goals
    Martin Clarke* (Coll) — 34 games 12 goals
    Colm Begley* (Bris Lions/St K) — 29 games 7 goals
    Dermott McNichol (St K) — 3 games 1 goal
    Pierce Hanley* (Bris Lions) — 2 games 0 goals
    Paul Earley (Melb) — 1 game 1 goal
    Brian Stynes (Melb) — 2 games 0 goals
    * STILL PLAYING

Sean Wight played Gaelic football but was Scottish born.
    Setanta O’hAilpin was born in Australia but moved to Ireland at five and played hurling.

There are now 13 international players on AFL lists (10 from Ireland)
    SENIOR LIST (3)
    Carlton - Setanta O’hAilpin (Ireland)
    Collingwood - Martin Clarke (Ireland)
    St Kilda - Colm Begley (Ireland)
    ROOKIE LIST (8)
    Adelaide - Brian Donnelly (Ireland)
    Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley (Ireland)
    Collingwood - Kevin Dyas (Ireland)
    Essendon - Michael Quinn (Ireland)
    North Melbourne - Conor Meredith (Ireland)
    Sydney - Brendan Murphy (Ireland), Kyle Coney (Ireland), Michael Pyke (Canada)
    SCHOLARSHIP LIST (2)
    Western Bulldogs - Inoke Ratu (Fiji), Solomoni Loki (Fiji)

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

pretty sure Coney's turned it down in favour of GAA and IMO i don't think kingston has the pace for it.

anyone know if Zach Touhey made it at all?

Advertisement