Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a credit card

Options
  • 08-02-2008 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I switch my credit card last year to another card to get a lower interest rate. And i transfered the credit card debt from old to the new card and paid the government stamp duty on closing it. But whatever happened, i ended up with 2.14 credit on my old card. And iv been getting these statements monthly for the past year. Since i alreardy closed it and paid the stamp duty, would they still charge me this year for stamp duty? Thats the last thing i want. To pay it again.
    Tried also in spending exactly 2.14 but then the card has been denied so i cant get rid of this nightmare and receiving statements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Get them to send you a cheque to close the account.

Send a closure of account letter and details of who they can make a cheque out to.

Did you ever send a closure letter, if you did not it's not closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

i never sent a letter about closing it. didn't know i had to. i rang them up after i switched the debt to the new card. i was told i would be charged the stamp duty for closing it and they charged me for it so really it should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

You don't have to send a letter. It should have been closed over the phone. But give them a ring and they can send you out a cheque for the credit amt or just refund your account maybe.
    Also having a credit balance does not count as the card being active so you won't get charged GSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

You DO have to send a letter.
    Otherwise anybody could close your account over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

You can close over the phone once you answer a few security questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

What Mick-irl said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

egan007 wrote: »
    You DO have to send a letter.
    Otherwise anybody could close your account over the phone.
    Yes, anyone can close it over the phone. Once the card is 30e in credit.

Advertisement