Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rc trainer?

Options
  • 08-02-2008 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

hi
    can any tell me which is the best rc trainer aircraft for someone just starting,i mean which would be safest to fly for a novice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

In I.C planes :
    High wings, .40 - .45 size, any will do !
    Looks ugly (well, less appealing than a spitfire or something else ;) ) but that will do the job !
    Trainer.JPG
    Have a look in google for Calmato, TT40 (Thunder Tiger) and so on, that will give you an idea !
    Don't buy something smaller, without ailerons ! Waste of money !

Electric :
    I'll go with the EZ star
    Easystar.jpg
    The good thing is that is easy to repair (elapor, though polysthyrene) and cheap to run ( 2 lipos and you are good for the day...)
    For electric, go straight away to new hi-tec stuff ! Lipos and brushless motors !

Gliders :
    I'll go with the easyglider, foam still, very easy to fly, with ailerons, and will follow you as your progress...
    multiplex-easy-glider_lg.jpg

Note that there is an electro version of the easyglider :) the best of both world :D

Anyway, the best advice we can give to you is to join a club and see what they are using. They may even have a flying school, and some are free of charge. And a MACI insurance... We never know ! :D
    The investment for an IC plane, fully equiped with a good radio (very important, worth to invest in a good one from the begining) and all the gears and accessories you will need around will cost you between 400 and 500 euros max.

Will of course cost less for an electric one, and less again for a pure glider.

If you have any questions...

Fred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

thanks for the all the info and the photos,i am thinking of going for an IC model,is it risky to buy one used?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

blue42 wrote: »
    ... is it risky to buy one used?
    Not risky if you know what to examine it for.
    Some models are sold by "failed pilots" and their models get a real thumping. Hairline cracks in wood that appears intact, engines that have been mistuned and maybe run too lean scoring the liners, and of course the problem/cause the original owner was not able to fly it is probably still hidden there somewhere ....
    So when you're a beginner .... I would think in that case yes too risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

thanks coolwings....can you tell me any good model shops in the dublin area i could visit.....also would you advise buying on line?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you called you might see me in www.greenhobbymodel.com
    There are others in the general thread too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Yep, you can check here as well : http://www.islandmodels.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

Being not far from a novice myself (only flying since last May), I'd have to recommend this:
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/pgarchive/Graupner_Trainer_65.htm
    Totally robust for hard landings, and very forgiving in crashes.
    Bought mine from Green Hobby & Model. On my second now which I bought from:
    http://www.andys-hobbyshop.de/
    because GH&M didn't have one in stock and I wasn't prepared to wait!
    Make sure you get a good engine, which you can transfer to your next plane when you move on (My Saito 80 is still running great - I over-indulged at the time).
    Tips for the Trainer are:
    Don't use too many elastics on the wing, the more rigid it is, the more damage it does on impact.
    Change the crappy foam wheels to plastic 2" or 3" immediately.
    Connect the nose wheel to the rudder, the instructions don't tell you to do this, and it is essential for steering on the grass!
    Get someone who can fly to teach you, it's not worth it to try learning yourself and only flying for 12 seconds. (I got taught... it's the only way).
    If you buy a Trainer 65, (and I seriously recommend you do), let me know and I'll send you a little addendum I wrote to the manual, it helps with the tricky parts.
    r011in

Advertisement