Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox live: Wireless?

• 08-02-2008 12:56pm

Hey, i bought a 360 yesterday \o/, and played a bit of COD4 last night. I've played it online on my mates xbox before and am definitely going to set it up myself.

The only issue i have is that when i was flicking through the manual, it says that wireless routers aren't advisable and that you should use the cable instead as there may be connection / lag issues. Does anybody use a wireless router here? Do you have any problems?

Also, what exactly will i need if i want to set it up? I've had a Wii for about 6 -7 months and to set that up, it just scans for the router and connects automatically. It looks as if i need something else for the 360.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Wireless is fine, if you can use wired do, but using wireless isn't a problem.

Well, the only problem is that you'd need to buy the wireless network adapter, which isn't cheap :/
    IIRC they're about €80 new, but Gamestop seem to sell secondhand ones sometimes, or you could check on Ebay (or Adverts.ie, in case someone is selling one there).

Is your router anywhere near your 360 (same room for instance)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

My router and WiFi AP are upstairs, my X-Box downstairs in a cabinet under the telly with a WiFi adapter.

Works perfectly for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

The Wireless routers only problem is the bloody price. Which i think is robbery for something that in my opinion should be standard

koneko wrote: »
    Wireless is fine, if you can use wired do, but using wireless isn't a problem.

Is your router anywhere near your 360 (same room for instance)?

Yeah they're in the same room alright. Only problem with wired is that the connection point is in one corner, and the TV/Xbox/Wii combo is in the diagonally opposite corner. To use the wired, i'll have to get an extension cable, bring it along the top of the skirting board and up and around the door frame. If i go the other way, I'd have to run it across the floor and it just wouldn't work.

Are the adaptors really 80 lids? What a fcukin rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

you could use a wi-fi extender, you'd have to set it up to work with your network on a pc, but then then its just a ethernet patch lead to connect it up to the xbox, dabs have them for about €30

• Advertisement

Just had a look on eBay there and the cheapest wi-fi adaptor was €40 (buy it now price).

There were loads of peeps selling 'guides' on "how to connect to xbox live without wireless adaptor", so i did a quick search on google for the above and came to this site
    here

He seems to be saying that if you have your laptop / PC on, and connect your xbox to the laptop, it's just as good as having the wireless adaptor.

Has anyone here heard of / tried this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

i went from wired to wireless last week and i can tell you its the exact same, no lag issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You could do that, but it means you have to leave your PC/laptop on (with connection sharing) anytime you want to use your 360 (online). Worth trying out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

You could also try one of these. I use it myself and it is excellent.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_powerline_adapters_performance.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Are the adaptors really 80 lids? What a fcukin rip-off.

I saw them in Game in Blanch for €95 so then went to HMV where they were charging €99.

• Advertisement

bucks73 wrote: »
    You could also try one of these. I use it myself and it is excellent.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_powerline_adapters_performance.php

I clicked on the "where to buy" link on that page and checked Play.com's price and it was £99 stg. Thats nearly twice the price of the official wireless adaptor.

Where did you get yours and how much was it?
    koneko wrote: »
    You could do that, but it means you have to leave your PC/laptop on (with connection sharing) anytime you want to use your 360 (online). Worth trying out anyway.

Yeah, I could live with that, but I dunno how happy the girlfriend would be if she had to sit close to the telly with me playing COD4 and shouting "I've got your six!!!..." every few minutes :D as she uses the lappy quite a but.
    I saw them in Game in Blanch for €95 so then went to HMV where they were charging €99.

:eek: They've always been complete rip-off merchant scumpigs though, tbh. Prolly should have seen it coming.
    i went from wired to wireless last week and i can tell you its the exact same, no lag issues

That's good to hear. I don't mind paying the €40 to get one shipped from Hong Kong (see above), but I didn't wanna do that and then find that the connection was always dropping and timing out.

I'll try the laptop solution over the weekend, see how it pans out, but I'll prolly end up getting the (cheap) official one anyway.

Cheers for all the advice lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I bought mine on Dabs.com and it cost about EUR140. This isnt a wireless adaptor. I originally bought it for my Slingbox and it also works very well for the Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Advertisement