Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upstairs bathroom build

Options
  • 08-02-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'm considering converting one of the smaller bedrooms up stairs in our dormer house along with the existing small bathroom into a nice spacious bathroom.

There are no support walls involved, so thats a good start. I just have some questions that are niggling me as I hope to do alot of the work myself.

In no particular order;
    a> Would I be better off to use marine ply on the inner walls rather than green board as there seems to be some consternation over the quality of this product.

b> Can I tile directly onto marine ply?

c> regarding tiling around the shower area, Ive seen a rubber like matting being used to seal the shower area before tiling, anyone know what its called or where it can be got?

d>If I was to go on a wet room idea, I would floor and wall with marine ply, cover this with the rubber sealant, and tile onto that? or am I way off the mark?

I'll be talking to some of the people in the tile shop anyway, and will report back on what they suggest. All comments are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

More importantly do you have pipes nearby.
    Where is the waste going. Can you run the toilet pipe out through the wall and connect it with a soil pipe. Plumbing usually causes more problems that tiling.
    For the other questions
    a) no idea
    b) yes you can tile onto marine ply although they usually use WBP plywood as it is cheaper than marine ply.
    c) they are possibly called tanking kits for showers.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

I've put tiles directly onto marine ply. Make sure the marine ply is secured to the wooden battens that is keeping the plasterboarsd in place. Buy one of those batten detectors for the job.

As previously mentioned the term is called 'tanking' which is essentially a water proof membrane that will protect you sub structure if you get a leak pass the tiles or grout. You can buy all the components is a package from most tile suppliers.

Personelly I'd only consider a wet room in a fully concrete structure (i.e downstairs in your typical house).

If you're putting in a toilet then the routing of the waste pipe will be a major consdieration. You could use a 'Saniflo' system which is basically a macerator that will allow the waste flow through a much smaller pipe (see www.saniflo.ie )

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

kewl thanks for the info, theres already a toilet in the existing bathroom (which is too small) so I can work around that easily enough. The reason I was looking at tanking is mainly because the room is upstairs, not really to use it as a wet room. Id rather have the over kill now than the replacing of floor tiles later kinda situation.

Advertisement