Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last gasp for skt 939.

Options
  • 08-02-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I’m looking at squeezing another 6 months out of my current system (skt 939 3700+, 2 gigs ram, 6800gs x2 sli) before upgrading mobo/cpu ram etc and I’d like to be able to play some of the latest games at 1440x900 17", I was wondering what you guys think of buying this 8800GT to try and achieve my goal? Or is my processor going to be so much of a bottle neck that its just a waste of money?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

its a bit of a waste of money. As your CPU will realy be holding you back. Best bet would be to start saving for a whole new system, as there is next to nothing you can salvage from yours now. Apart from hdds, and dvd drives. And possible the case.

If you really want to get a boost go for a AMD opteron 170-180 ( hard to find ) and buy a good cooler. Then you can overclock the chip, but this is dependant on how good your motherboard and ram are. And then get an 8800gt, as you can keep this for when you do a full upgrade. In my opinion its not really worth it to be honest, as its wasted money.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Yeah I feared as much, ah well I'll just have to go the extra and upgrade everything, is quad or dual core the way to go? Its just that by the time games get around to utilizing quad another upgrade will most likely be necessary (or am I wrong in my logic)

Well your logic is right. A faster clocked dual core is better then a slower clocked quad core for gaming. As no game takes advantage of all 4 cores yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i love that word. "yet"

remember if you want this to last a long time, go for quad.
    if you want it to run as fast as possible now, go for a dual core.

most people go for quad core's now and overclock them slightly.

i love that word. "yet"

remember if you want this to last a long time, go for quad.
    if you want it to run as fast as possible now, go for a dual core.

most people go for quad core's now and overclock them slightly.

Speak for yourself when you say slightly :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah the real future proofing comes from buying components now that you can overclock later as you need the speed.

When you say you want to be able to play the latest games on PC. What kind of detail level are you talking about? You could probably put together a box for around €500-€600 that would handle all of the most recent games at medium to high settings.

Personally, i'd wait until nVidia launchs its next line of cards which should hopefully push the prices of their old line down even more.

How likely do you think it will be that you will overclock?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

I'm not really into overclocking, I've dabbled in it a little but I was so paranoid about destroying some of my components that any adjustment would have been slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

Kind of in the same boat as you, have to wait another few months before a rebuild is viable , Got a 939 4200x2 from ebay very cheap , big enough difference , went from 3700+ like u have an X1900Xt and plays crysis and cod4 perfectly

also over clocked it a little see sig . :)

Advertisement