Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does all christian rock suck? (or is it just the vast vast majority?)

Options
  • 08-02-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭

What is it about 'Christian rock' 'music' that makes it so cringeworthy? And are there any evangelist bands that are good enough to stand on their musical merits and are not simply a cynical attempt to recruit christians through co-opting youth and alternative culture?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, U2 have tended to incorporate christian themes into their music, but noone ever calls them Christian rock.
    So maybe Christian rock is just a term for music, not good enough to make it as normal rock.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Except for Christ +1, it's sucks balls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Personally I thought Creed where a great band, great vocalist, great musicians and very nicely written tunes. I thought they were great before they got the "christian" label....CD has been in the box and hasn't came out once since I heard that.

To answer your Q, no don't think all christian rock sucks...just don't listen to the lyrics and you might like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The music of any band that uses it to push any religious agenda be it christianity, judaism, athiesm or shintosim sucks.

Of course if you like it then you like it. What else matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not all, just most

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Feelgood wrote: »
    Personally I thought Creed where a great band, great vocalist, great musicians and very nicely written tunes. I thought they were great before they got the "christian" label....CD has been in the box and hasn't came out once since I heard that.

Conclusive proof that it's all in people's head, and the concept of "a righteous message" turns people off music, regardless of how good it is.

The original poster seems to take the same attitude, listening with "ewww christian rock" blinkers on, unable to get over that preconceived prejudice that its all contrived and preachy/pushy.

I guarantee if you were to listen to a great song without first knowing that it has a "christian label" you'd actually like it... unfortunaly I can't give you that much needed song as they all do suck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Sixpence none the richer had one quality tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just because you dont like it doesnt necessarily mean that it sucks. I happen to like a lot of Christian music, especially bands such as Switchfoot, Casting Crowns, Kutless etc. You may think it sucks, and your entitled to your opinion but just remember thats all it is - your opinion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just because a band writes a track and adds a few words and names from the Bible dosen't necessarly make them out to be a "Christian" band. Christianity has a large following and many bands have tried to cash in it. The Simsons had a very funny one on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Feelgood wrote: »

To answer your Q, no don't think all christian rock sucks...just don't listen to the lyrics and you might like it?

Ara that's completely and utterly ridiculous! You loved a band until you heard they were Christian, and then you abandoned them completely? Showing your attitude to Christians much?

FWIW I would never consider Creed a "Christian Rock" band; I would consider them a rock band who happened to be Christian. In my interpretation there is a difference, as I consider "Christian Rock" to be a specific genre whereby a band preaches/evangelises through their music, and no, of that genre I've never heard anything good - but then I haven't listened to much.

But to discard a good band just because they happen to be Christian is something I consider pretty childish and, well, despicable really. No different than discarding a band you really enjoyed the music of when you found out they were devout Jews or Muslims. There's very little overt Christian evangelising in Creed's music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

"God is in the House" is one of my favorite Nick Cave songs...but i dont think it has successfully brainwashed me :o one can listen to lyrics and interpret them in different ways, i wouldnt have a problem listening to "christian rock" if musically it was good enough, creed arent my cup of tea regardless of what genre you put them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Lots of people dismiss christian rock, yet gladly listen to Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder etc, who all had songs about Jesus.
    I suppose in soul music, it's more expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Blisterman wrote: »
    Lots of people dismiss christian rock, yet gladly listen to Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder etc, who all had songs about Jesus.
    I suppose in soul music, it's more expected.

Very true, i guess the christian "rock" part of this thread had me just pidgeon holed into that way of thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It's a strange subject for me actually. I'm an atheist but most of my favourite songs and albums are about religion in some way (For example, my username is the name of a character in an album). Infact you could say that I prefer songs with religious themes, be it pro-religion, anti-religion, about finding god, about getting angry at god or even pure atheistic lyrics, it doesn't matter. I honestly don't know why, but that's what I enjoy.

But, I wouldn't be able to listen to any christian bands. There's actually a few that I've heard that I enjoyed the music of, Rob Rock and Stryper for example, but the fact that they're christian bands put me right off. I'm not sure why, maybe because it'll feel like their preaching to me or something. Maybe I'm just strange :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

'he is calling you calling you...on the saviours day'
    what a tune.

Does all christian rock suck? You bet your balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Creature wrote: »
    The music of any band that uses it to push any religious agenda be it christianity, judaism, athiesm or shintosim sucks.

What's wrong with singing about your beliefs? Most bands sing about their beliefs.

I don't think they should be labelled as 'trying to convert people/ pushing their beliefs'. Lyrics have opinions, so what if they are religious opinions?

And even if they are trying to raise awareness about their beliefs, everyone does. Would you criticise RAGE for their lyrics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

iFight wrote: »
    Would you criticise RAGE for their lyrics?

I would, they struggled to separate politics from music at all, and when you listen to some of the lyrics, you can't help but cringe.

The same with all the do-gooder xtian (gonna ruffle a few feathers with that one no doubt) music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dave Clemo

I like Rick Wakeman's comment. Rock 'n roll is said by some evangelicals to be the music of the devil. He says that's not true- it's country and western.
    A lot of Christian music is garbage. It makes me cringe. Every now and then there's a good song by a Christian artiste. Some one mentioned Sixpence none the richer. Great song- but no spiritual emphasis. Someone else mentioned U2 and I like "still haven't found what I'm looking for". It's a great song full stop.
    It's good that artistes can strive to express their beliefs and spirituality through words and music. Every now and then a song strikes a chord. "Amazing Grace" is one that springs to mind. It's been recorded zillions of times and sung in every style. It's been plagiarised and parodied but the fact remains that it's a great song because so many people can connect to it and relate to it.
    The problem with any spiritual music is that it's they're ready to be shot at in a way that say, a love song isn't. Does anybody analyse the words of a love song to see if they are theologically correct? No. The song either hits the spot or it doesn't. Most songs sink without trace. A few hit the spot.
    Another problem with Christian music (CCM) is the way that it's marketed by the church and the christian record companies. This artiste had an intense spiritual experience when recording this song. If you buy it and listen to it them you will have an intense spiritual experience too.
    What rot.
    Yet another problem is that successful Christian bands and artistes get paraded like trophies by the church. The church has no concept of fashion and trends and will flog a christian artiste or band way past their shelf life.
    Oh, and another problem. Because Christians exist in a parallel world to the rest of us they only have the vaguest notion of what's current or trendy and their efforts are usually risible.

Sean_K wrote: »
    I would, they struggled to separate politics from music at all, and when you listen to some of the lyrics, you can't help but cringe.

Maybe RAGE were a bad example. But if you take a band that you like are you saying that there is no message in the lyrics of any of their songs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Maybe RAGE were a bad example. But if you take a band that you like are you saying that there is no message in the lyrics of any of their songs?
    No of course not, but blabbering on directly about impoverished children and urban warfare, which are, don't get me wrong, huge problems, and I feel strongly about them, but they don't really make for fluid...serious lyrics

• Advertisement

I suppose, but in saying that, you could pick bands who don't address these issues that have uninspired lyrics. I don't think just because a band talks about religion they instantly 'suck'. Assuming that they do it well, the are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 KKer

Creed rock, the word of god gives them the edge!

What's wrong with singing about your beliefs? Most bands sing about their beliefs.

I don't think they should be labelled as 'trying to convert people/ pushing their beliefs'. Lyrics have opinions, so what if they are religious opinions?

And even if they are trying to raise awareness about their beliefs, everyone does. Would you criticise RAGE for their lyrics?

Ok maybe I was a bit crass in my first statement but I meant proper religuous music not ambiguous religuously themed bands like Creed and U2 (who are about as 'christian' as Pearl Jam are a techno girl group). Creating awareness of beliefs is one thing but constant singing about how Jesus or Satan does this or that in ones lyrics is neauseating. Music and religion don't really mix IMO.

And yes I would criticise Rage Against The Machine (assuming you meant them and not the German metal band?). As much as I like their music, Zach De La Rocca's overblown political lyrics can get irritating at times.

Creature wrote: »
    And yes I would criticise Rage Against The Machine (assuming you meant them and not the German metal band?). As much as I like their music, Zach De La Rocca's overblown political lyrics can get irritating at times.

Yes, I meant them. Would you criticise him for singing about what he believes or because you don't agree?

I mean, you call them 'overblown', I don't think that just because somebody over does what they are singing about means that they are wrong to sing about it in the first place.

And yes, i would agree that people singing about Jesus and Satan, as you said, would not at all appeal to me, but they are just trying to get their message across at the end of the day. So what if they want to use mythological characters to do so.

I'd criticise him for failing to come up with anything other than his paranoid political views. Don't you ever find his whacky conspiracy theory esque lyrics a bit silly at times?

Like I said, spreading a message via music is one thing, there's nothing at all wrong with that. However constantly spewing out the same thing over and over makes it seem like these bands are only interested in spreading their agenda and the music is just a secondary vehicle for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

RATM is sometimes good, but usually bad. Most Christian rock bands suck, so the music is so f**king light. Give me Slayer, Crowbar, or Testament anyday.

Right, but leaving a specific band out of it, it is acceptable to voice your opinion through your music.

And then in RAGE's case, Zach de la Roccha is obviously quite passionate about his lyrics and must still feel the need to publicise his criticisms and return to his beliefs as a source of inspiration for lyrics, and due to the amount of fans of the band, it is easy to say that people want to hear what he has to say.

And, personally, i think the lyrics are part of the music, which would sort of cover that bit you said about spreading their agenda.

Finally, no I don't find his 'wacky paranoid political views' silly; I enjoy his lyrics. Doesn't necessarily mean that I agree with them, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Right, but leaving a specific band out of it, it is acceptable to voice your opinion through your music.

I feel some of the Christian rock bands main agenda is to convert you to their way of thinking ...they might as well be standing on the side of the street with a sandwich board on.Also most of them seem to be American and they probably voted for Bush.

I feel some of the Christian rock bands main agenda is to convert you to their way of thinking ...they might as well be standing on the side of the street with a sandwich board

Thats it exactly, their motivation seems to be in attracting converts. There's more to it than just voicing an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

what i think is mental is this stuff haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_metal

RAAAAAH HAIL JESUS :rolleyes:

Advertisement