Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing pistols

Options
  • 08-02-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

hi all, im thinking of getting a walther p22. i know a few dealers who can get me one here, but i'm wondering has anyone tried to import one themselves? can it be done? where would you source one online and would the guards go for it?
    eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I hear that the walter P22 has a reputation for jamming ... a lot !
    I have even heard one person refer to one he had as a "Jammomatic"

There are other more reliable firearms .

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

from what i've seen, all .22 pistols jam sometimes depending on the rounds you're putting through them. i shot it with eley subs and it jammed once with 20 rounds. not bad, but i would expect better from high velocity bullets. the first and second release of the gun had a problme with the magazine causing jams but i heard that the problem is sorted with all the new magazines.
    anyone heard different?
    eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

I shot one once & was not impressed with it. No disrespect but why don't you consider a quality pistol like a Ruger MkII or Browning Buckmark.

As the saying goes when you buy quality you only cry once !!

To your other question. I imported 2 psitols. One for N.I. and one from Germany. Both with a domestic licence & Article 7 permit. No problems at all

Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

As said above, do NOT get a Walther P22. Waste of money. Shell out a hundred quid more and get a good Ruger MkII or SIG mosquito.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Or a CZ Kadet ..

Same size and weight as a CZ75 and as reliable as a hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Shell out a hundred quid more and get a good Ruger MkII or SIG mosquito.

The Ruger is great, but the SIG is rubbish. I know sevral guys that had them. They all got rid of them.

I know alot of people that have imported pistols with an artical 7, no issues.
    I hear that the walter P22 has a reputation for jamming ... a lot !
    I have even heard one person refer to one he had as a "Jammomatic"

+ 1 Keep away from the P22

I am told the CZ Kadet is a great .22 pistol. I know from expreience that the Browning Buckmark, Target 87 Beretta are great.

the problem with the kadet is that its 700euro compared with 300euro for the p22

so what dealer did those that imported use? and do the foreign dealers mind having to wait with the gun once you've purchased it. obviously i'll need to give the super a serial number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

so what dealer did those that imported use?

Often none. You dont have to use a dealer.

I have used Gordon Newal, Hollow Farm Shooting Grounds. I found him efficient and great on price.

For 300 euro you can do better. Buy a quality second hand gun, not a new piece of sh!t.
    and do the foreign dealers mind having to wait with the gun once you've purchased it. obviously i'll need to give the super a serial number

Dont forget many of us have done this without a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

the problem with the kadet is that its 700euro compared with 300euro for the p22

So now you know why it's rubbish.

If you're going to all the trouble that a pistol licence requires, why don't you get a proper one?

The P22 is so inaccurate that it beggars belief. There is absolutely no way you can know where the shot is going to land to the nearest county.

+1 on all the other recommendations and add the hammerli x-esse for good measure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

jaycee wrote: »
    Or a CZ Kadet ..

Same size and weight as a CZ75 and as reliable as a hammer.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

rrpc wrote: »
    So now you know why it's rubbish.

If you're going to all the trouble that a pistol licence requires, why don't you get a proper one?

The P22 is so inaccurate that it beggars belief. There is absolutely no way you can know where the shot is going to land to the nearest county.

+1 on all the other recommendations and add the hammerli x-esse for good measure.

Yep, Hammerli X-esse (called the trailside in the US). I have one and it never jams and fires everything it's fed. It will shoot one hole groups and it's well made. Costs a few more euro than the rest mentioned but in my opinion well worth it. It's a very pointable gun with a great grip angle. Field strips easy and requires little maintenance. I ran it with out cleaning for a long period as an experiment trying to get it to gunk up and jam but after 900+ rounds (Lapua master) problem free the clean freak in me made me strip it and clean it!
    It has a 11mm sight groove on the barrel if you fancy putting a scope on it just for fun, mind you 3/8th seems to fit it better. I've heard some people saying that springs break on it etc. but I know a lot of people with them and they haven't reported one mechanical failure to me. The person who said they were soft was using them for commercial use on his range and the one I saw was absolutely filthy so much so I thought it had a redesigned feed ramp the first time I looked into the pistol's breech (it was just a build up of carbon and gunk).
    This pistol won't disappoint!
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Rough price estimate for a hammerli? I've been looking them up on the net and, yes, they do seem a pretty sweet pistol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

If it was legal I would give you mine, it’s a bag of parts.
    Stay away from the p-22.

think i might hang off buying a pistol for a while so. hoping to buy a .243 rifle later in the year and wont be able to afford a dear pistol as well. ah well. thanks for all the info though lads. you've probably saved me hassle
    eoin

think i might hang off buying a pistol for a while so. hoping to buy a .243 rifle later in the year and wont be able to afford a dear pistol as well. ah well. thanks for all the info though lads. you've probably saved me hassle
    eoin

There are plenty of good quality second hand pistols available. A quick search on Frankonia's website got these:

Browning Buckmark - used condition: €199

Hammerli X-Esse Sport - very good condition: €549

Walther KSP200 - very good condition: €249

Walther KSP200 Devil - very good condition: €349

All of the above being far better than the P22 or the SIG Mosquito.

just looking on their site and it looks good. have you dealt with them before rrpc?

just looking on their site and it looks good. have you dealt with them before rrpc?
    Not personally, but I know one person who dealt with them through a dealer and another couple who dealt direct. They export to Ireland regularly and know the set up, so it's absolutely no problem to order from them.

Very large and reputable company, so you should have no concerns on that score.

Advertisement