Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Victoria Jackson

• 08-02-2008 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of Victoria Jackson make-up range. A girl came in there selling it. Nice packaging/colours etc. bought something for €30. We were told it was supposed to be launcing in Brown Thomas but I have my suspicions. Anyone know?
    Thanks,
    Z

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Ha you coulda been scammed! Google it.

*Why am I posting here...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

http://www.vmakeup.com/

Is it any use? Packaging looks kinda dated to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Yeah, why are you?

For freakin sake cant you go try be "smart" somewhere else?

Jees.

Anyways, the packaging actually is very good. A sales rep came into our office today. She had a load of things all for €30. I have just used the lip gloss and I have to say it is very good. There is some kinda minty thing in it (same as Pout or something) that plumps out your lips and I have to say it is pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Let me guess...thin girl with long brown hair with blondish bits in it and freckles. Black heaveyset guy in a black coat? yeah they were in work reception before christmas with the same story - its only €30 and launching in BTs so this price is a bargain etc etc

Google victoria jackson shes the woman behind lola cosmetics. I asked to see a website and they gave one www.vj.com or www.victoriajackson.com something like that cant remember but it had links to lola cosmetics site on it. but it looked dodgy. the packaging said something like made in china on the back and main ingredient was talc so I was suspicius esp as they only took cash and came in on a friday as they said they thought we got paid on a friday and would have cash.

only plus is that a load of girls in here bought it as xmas presents and said the quality was allright. I rubbed some on my hands when they were in here and quality did not look great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DangleDevil

I got some of this about a year ago, the packaging is good, as far as i know its all shatterproof casing.
    Can't say much for the makup though. The offer i paid 30 for was for a palette with eyeshadows and blusher, a set of TINY lip glosses and another small eyeshadow pallette. I don't think the eyeshadows last very long on the face and the pigment isn't very strong. Lip glosses are fine.

Its not terrible. Wouldn't buy again though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

the brown thomas bit had to have been a lie, as far as i know they're like avon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i was in spar opposite griffith college a week ago at half 8 (evening) getting tea and a man came up to me asking me did i want to buy it. same offer that was offered to the OP i think. some waffle about the make up artist doing the make up on Desperate Housewives etc. Also mentioned Brown Thomas and how much his girlfriend loved it etc etc etc. I just said no thanks and legged it. very dodgy to be selling make up off a stand in a spar on the south circular road if u ask me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Baileys & ice

Hey,

I got sucked in too and bought s set for €30 a while back, didn't mention brown thomas but said that she does make up for the girls from sex and the city!!!! If u wan decent make up stick to brands like MAC & Estee Lauder !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Theyve been selling that make up for at least 2 years, walking into shops giving a big speal about brown thomas and famous shows.....I doubt brown thomas would sign a deal with someone peadling their wares in local shops for discounted prices prior to the launch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's a thread in Work & Jobs about a company called Gallop Marketing (amongst other names) whose reps sell this makeup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Those really badly dressed reps always come into our office too. They start off by offering you something like an eyshadow or lipgloss set for €30 and then say they'll throw in a complete make up set and brushes so you're actually getting €150 worth of make up for €30 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

my mom got some for me for xmas came into her office. i dont think its that bad i got and eyeshadow palette a set of lip glosses and another thing with eye shadow and lipstick. i wear it to work lasts for most of my 12 hr shift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

My sister in law is a beautican and said this stuff is brill! She asked me to get her some when they came in! I got some for myself and was happy with everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I've bought a few of their products. Their eyeshadows are great, really long lasting. The amount of stuff you get for €30 is great aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

I am doing a Beauty Therapy course at the mo and they come in every week!

The blonde girl with a dublin/liverpool accent and she talk's a mile a minute!

All the tutors buy from her (dunno if it's for pressies or themselves ;)) but I didnt think there was anything wrong with them.

But in saying that, we get the spiel each time they come in that they will be opening up in BT's and that the owner is the person behind Sephora?? (Didnt believe that one though!)

A few of the girls bought their stuff and really like it though.

At the end of the day the amount of stuff you get for €30 is pretty good and will last a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

that the owner is the person behind Sephora?? (Didnt believe that one though!)

http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=5631

fairly sure the claim is genuine

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

A girl came into my office selling it, as I'm the only girl in the office and having read about it here I told her with a smile on my face that I wasn't interested.. She tried to set up her little stall and talk me round anyway but I ran her.. Was actually quite proud of myself.. I'd say if I'd shown any kind of weekness she would have been quite agressive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 makeupart

i have gottin her stuff before its a realy cosmetic company but they sell them in the odds places at spar shops and the middel of streets but the also came into my colege last year i was doin make up artistry and i was at the profs beauty expo in the rds last month and the had there own stall(",)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sharkey07

Just after looking up Victoria Jackson makeup there as I was at the toys4 big boys in RDS there and they had a stall. Got dragged over as I walked past and I got the whole pitch!

Basically they were promoting a compact kit including eyeshadows, lipgloss, mascara, eyeliners, brushes etc which apparantly retails at €100 but on offer for €40. She proceeded to show me all the free things you get - blusher, brushes and loads things like that that added up to €100.

Fairly good pitch I must say as I was close to buying it...200euros worth of makeup for €40, but was still a bit skeptical, so I said Id come back!! HA! So glad I didnt!!:cool:

Just found this link.....

http://beaut.ie/blog/?p=6071

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!!!":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lauraxxxo

laurak265 wrote: »
    My sister in law is a beautican and said this stuff is brill! She asked me to get her some when they came in! I got some for myself and was happy with everything!

hi i'm a makeup artist and this makeup does not contain enough pigments, you are aswell buying a kids makeup palette for cheaper if you want this quality of make up. I sold it with a rubbish marketing company for 2 days. If you put a bit of makeup on your hand and leave it for a couple of hours it will drastically fade. If anybody would like some quality branded make up for discount prices, I will be getting some in soon, here is my hotmail lauraanneohara05@msn.com xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I bought this from QVC years ago, and they come into the office so often. They have never even been able to get a chance to start their spiel, as once makeup or Victoria Jackson is said, I politely but firmly tell them that I am not interested. Clarins also come into my office periodically too, and have L'Oreal once or twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

some woman set a lil stall up in our canteen yesterday in blackrock.

you'd think she woulda put some on her own face if she was trying to sell it(she looked mierable), god forbid...but it spoke volumes!
    a few did buy it tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lauraxxxo

some woman set a lil stall up in our canteen yesterday in blackrock.

you'd think she woulda put some on her own face if she was trying to sell it(she looked mierable), god forbid...but it spoke volumes!
    a few did buy it tho...

I think this stuff is just a marketing trick, i wouldnt be surprised if victorian jackson wasn't even real. No point in buying this crap, as I said i will be getting a top brand at discount prices email me( genuine makeup, I get a makeup artists discount, do'nt wanna give the brands name out but it starts with an m , im sure you all know what kind i mean, guaranteed 100% genuine xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

A guy came over to me while I was standing outside the Stephen's Green Centre on Thurs evening and tried to sell it to me. I remembered the threads I'd seen here so told him where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

my dad got me this for christmas.

they went into his school, and sold it to all the classroom assistants and teachers.

he got two for my and my mam.

Just told him there the full story, it being a scam etc.
    He flipped!! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

yeaha guy in a black jacket came up to me and my friend while we were lying in stephens green during the summer. didnt beleive a word of the BT stuff, but got the eyeshadow set (one of which is now my everyday wear), lipglosses and brushes for €30 and still use all of em. So i didnt think it was a bad deal!
    they really should give up the bs story tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Me to you

A girl came into our work place bout 2 years ago at this stage selling it and it was going to be in brown thomas that summer...

I tested the golden shimmer on my hand and i broke out in hives and a rash all on my hand, had to get a steriod injection off the doc, granted i have very sensitive skin but i dunno....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

A girl came into my workplace about 2 weeks ago and sold it to a few of the ladies. I told them that there's no way of this being sold at Brown Thomas etc. but they still bought it.

I have to say you do get lots for the price paid but I didn't get to try the products so I don't know how long lasting they are etc. I have never heard of this Victoria Jackson person. It would just annoy me knowing they were telling lies to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 railwayprincess

I bought this off a girl who came into work. 30 euro for bronser, 2x lipgloss sets and the pack of eyeshadows (with blusher, brushes & mascara. I dont think it is too bad. The lipglosses are lovely and you get about 14 of them so lots of different shades.
    Although the girl did say in her sales pitch that it is suitable to take through airport security - as its lighweight. But i was thinking later its only foundations that airport security care about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

I bought some of this around 6 months ago for 30 euro. I got the survival kit, lipglosses and the bronze shimmery thing. I only bought it for the bronzer and i adore it, its the only thing I use from everything i bought but for me it was worth the entire 30 euro for that 1 product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Although the girl did say in her sales pitch that it is suitable to take through airport security - as its lighweight. But i was thinking later its only foundations that airport security care about!

Not true. It includes any liquids including lipsticks, lipglosses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

The make up is ok I guess, fades quickly but Ive used the lip glosses....its just a pity they're so small cus Ive lost most of them!!

As for the companies themselves, i worked in their office for about a month last eyar, they are a horrible company to work for! There's a few different ones operating under a larger umbrella type company, and its totally true what other posters have said...they totally explot their workers, its a complete brain washing scam to the point that Ive seen some pretty nice people turn into ass holes in a month! I only have the make up cus I got it free, other wise I wouldnt support them by buying their make up! Everything they tell is us complete bull!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

lilmizzme wrote: »
    As for the companies themselves, i worked in their office for about a month last eyar, they are a horrible company to work for! There's a few different ones operating under a larger umbrella type company,

This thread is very interesting. They came into my job and a few of my colleagues bought the kits, with mixed reviews afterwards. Would one of the other companies that you mentioned by any chance have something to do with the lads in suits carrying suitcases of perfume? I have been stopped on the street several times by these guys, giving me the full sales pitch spiel. If you have the chance please let us know the names of the other companies that they own, so we can boycott all of 'em :D

I think that a newspaper would be interested in this story - a rip off product/shady company/treating employees badly. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 likelylou

They're in the Cork area today; just had the most mad rep for them in, an English accent and mad eyes. And everything she said was exclaimed. Everything! They're be an exclamation mark shortage after her.

Me: What are you selling?
    Her: What makes you think I'm selling something?!
    Me: You've a seller's attitude.
    Her: aha, ha, ha, ha, HA, HA, HA![proper mental laughter, like] No I don't! Why is everyone so miserable?!
    Me: There's a recession on. So, if you're not selling anything, what can I do for you?
    Her: I'm selling these brushes...
    Me: I have all the brushes I want
    Her: But you also get this! *pulls eyeshadow compact out of pocket*
    Me: (Seeing the Victoria Jackson name) No, thanks I don't have any confidence in the product, no staying power whatsoever.
    Her: Oh you've used them before?!
    Me: Yes
    Her: But did you get this book *Pulls out wee book from her magic pockets*. It shows how to put them, to stay on!
    Me: I actually know how to apply make up, thanks but no sale.
    Her: Wait, there's more! * Pulls manky cream lip set out of her Tardis Pockets*
    Me: I don't wear lip gloss
    Her: It's not gloss, it's moisturiser! Smell it....SMELL IT! It's like strawberries!
    Me: *Smelling it* Plastic strawberries, is it? Look, I don't want any.
    Her: We're launching in Brown Thomas soon, so you'll be getting it all at a discount!
    Me: Ye've been launching for the last two years.
    Her: Oh, we're testing different products, before launch! Now, all this for thirty euro, and look a bag for the brushes!
    Me: Well, my tests show...they're not great products. Look, I know you've a hard job to do, but I don't want any.
    Her: It's a lot easier to sell in London.
    Me: Try London, then.
    Her: Why did you think I've a seller's attitude?
    Me: You trying to seem thrilled about working. That's unnatural.
    Her: Well, I sold three sets to the girls over there * points at building across the road from my workplace* and I'm making twelve euro a set...
    Me: No, you didn't. There's no girls working there. And the lads there have never displayed tranny tendencies. Can you go away now, I have a job that doesn't pay on commission, and I'm busy.

She storms out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 godeas

I wouldnt buy that crap if you paid me. Mac is waaay better and u pay for the quality. Even Rimmel is more reputable.

Last year 2 "sales" guys from Victoria Jackson (more like 2 unexperienced 15 yr olds in cheap, nasty suits), blagged their way into our offices by saying telling security they had free samples for us and were from Clinque.

DONT BUY IT - ITS TOTAL CRAP

• Advertisement

likelylou wrote: »
    They're in the Cork area today; just had the most mad rep for them in, an English accent and mad eyes. And everything she said was exclaimed. Everything! They're be an exclamation mark shortage after her.

Her: aha, ha, ha, ha, HA, HA, HA![proper mental laughter, like] No I don't! Why is everyone so miserable?!
    Me: There's a recession on. So, if you're not selling anything, what can I do for you?

Likely Lou, thats HILARIOUS!!! Fair play to you! I bet she did leg it! superb :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

likelylou wrote: »

Her: But you also get this! *pulls eyeshadow compact out of pocket*
    Me: (Seeing the Victoria Jackson name) No, thanks I don't have any confidence in the product, no staying power whatsoever.
    Her: Oh you've used them before?!
    Me: Yes
    Her: But did you get this book *Pulls out wee book from her magic pockets*. It shows how to put them, to stay on!
    Me: I actually know how to apply make up, thanks but no sale.
    Her: Wait, there's more! * Pulls manky cream lip set out of her Tardis Pockets*
    Me: I don't wear lip gloss
    Her: It's not gloss, it's moisturiser! Smell it....SMELL IT! It's like strawberries!
    Me: *Smelling it* Plastic strawberries, is it? Look, I don't want any.
    Her: We're launching in Brown Thomas soon, so you'll be getting it all at a discount!
    Me: Ye've been launching for the last two years.
    Her: Oh, we're testing different products, before launch! Now, all this for thirty euro, and look a bag for the brushes!
    Me: Well, my tests show...they're not great products. Look, I know you've a hard job to do, but I don't want any.
    Her: It's a lot easier to sell in London.
    Me: Try London, then.
    Her: Why did you think I've a seller's attitude?
    Me: You trying to seem thrilled about working. That's unnatural.
    Her: Well, I sold three sets to the girls over there * points at building across the road from my workplace* and I'm making twelve euro a set...
    Me: No, you didn't. There's no girls working there. And the lads there have never displayed tranny tendencies. Can you go away now, I have a job that doesn't pay on commission, and I'm busy.

She storms out.

I think I was stopped by this woman on Patrick St. in Cork last summer. She wouldn't let me go - even when I told her I had an allergy to all make-up. She even tried to put some of the stuff on my hand after I told her it would feck up my skin. I legged it fairly lively after that!

snip

own up now! u work for Vicky Jackson. sell ur wares elsewhere mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I think it is a bit off coming into places of works, as in, we have more important things to be doing that listen to them try to sell their make-up. Whenever they come around, and hear where they are from, I say before they start their pitch I am not interested. They never get far with me, but there are places that are more apt for demonstrating, and a Solicitors office is not one of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 doilie

my aupair's boyfriend came over here to work in January - he didn't believe how bad things were economically here until he arrived and found it impossible to get a job.... He's highly educated with better English than most Irish people! Anyway, he found a job selling this product.

It sounds seriously dodgy. He was told he has no formal contract. He is required to work 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. He only gets paid if he actually sells something - and then he only gets €7 per kit he sells. He has sold 1 a day each day of this week. Slave labour. He gets his money into his hand - so it's not above board at all. To top it off, one of the drivers ran over his foot yesterday by accident...

I decided to do some digging about this crowd before reporting them to the Gardai. What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    the brown thomas bit had to have been a lie, as far as i know they're like avon.

Nothin wrong with Avon honey. We dont feel the need to lie to make a sale though. Bought the stuff myself. Utter s**t. Don't let BT hear they're makin up stuff about them launching in there or there'll be war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

doilie wrote: »

I decided to do some digging about this crowd before reporting them to the Gardai. What do you think?

Sounds like a brilliant idea. They seem like complete cowboys and need to be reigned in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

Wow... I am surprised and bummed out. Before Christmas, I bought a set for my niece. I'm not much of a make up expert. I keep a small amount of it myself, and wear a minimum to just get by. I thought the quality seemed ok.

Thing that bugs me is hearing about the working conditions.

I thought I was dealing with a confident self starter sales lady, and was glad to support her over a multinational chain store. My grand father was a door to door salesman, and I have soft spot for a good Salesperson.

That is a big part of why I bought it.

I feel like a true sucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Hey all,
    They are in the Meath area today, 3 men going around my estate.
    They feel the need to both ring the bell and knock at the same time, so i thought it was my neighbour and there was something wrong so opened the door!
    I could barely understand his English and so i just asked what he was selling - told me he wasn't trying to sell anything, that he wanted to give me something for free, and had i ever heard of Victoria Jackson, its launching in BT's (they really need to get new scam!). So before he could start his spiel i said that i am busy working from home and just give me the free stuff!!
    "Well when you buy.."
    Sorry mate don't have time for this, if your not giving me free stuff away you go!
    Then tried stepping forward to come in the door - which was swiftly closed in his face, I'm not one to be rude but nobody tries to make me buy something by making me feel threatened!
    Hate to hear about the working conditions and feel sorry for the guy now for having to resort to these tactics.
    Eimear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 supershazf

they organised to come in to where i work a few months ago saying that they would just be selling the stuff to our customers etc but when they arrived they started selling lines for €2.00 to win some make up and they take about 3 quarters of the money and gave the rest to us to donate to charity. this was not mentioned when they asked could they come in. i threw them out after that and i heard after that they were telling everyone that they took €2.00 off that they money was going to charity big fat lie. would not trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mayorose

I sold these cosmetics for a week and packed it in. Twas the worst 5 days of my life!! The company completely brainwash employees, getting them to reach targets. Boss gave a talk one day and said its unlikely that if you don't succeed in this job, you wont succeed in life which I thought was a tad harsh. The working day is 12 hours and so much travelling and walking around the place. And the money you make is dependent on what you sell. In terms of the actual product, I don't have much faith in a make up line that you cant buy in the shops (bar avon which as an impeccable reputation). You have to have no shame and be able to take abuse from people.
    Dont buy from this company products are not great and treat employees unfairly

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

I got this stuff last Christmas and love it.. I was lucky though.. The sales rep's were finishing up so I got loads of freebies to..:D I love the fact that the eye shadows don't break when you drop them... and believe me with a 3 year old who loves to play with mammy's make up and drop it ALOT the eye shadow didn't budge :)

Over all I thought the make up was very good.. I did ask the sales rep was it coming to BT and he said he had heard talk about it but he didn't it was going to happen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Mayorose is totally right...its a complete brainwash scheme, like I honestly couldn't beleive what I was seeing last year. And they try to get nieve students or foreign workers and make them think theyve been given a golden opportunity to even get an interview. Nothing could be further from the truth. They interview about 20-30 people a day, they dont even look at CV's and they pick maybe 6-7 at the end of the day for "call-backs". Then you go on an unpaid "Training Day" to teach you how to sell and talk people into bbuying the product. It is just awful. And after a while, the salespeople actually do start to believe they are in a high flying career and going places. I felt so sorry for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 yvonkey

Ah no way... A man just left my doorstep 2 mins ago so I googled straight away. He was trying to get me to buy the lot for €39.95, I told him I only had €30 cash so he took that... I thought I got a brilliant bargain!! :o

I went onto the Victoria Jackson website and I can't see anything that have on it... it got eye shadow packs (day to night) with powder and lip gloss. I also got a blusher brush, bronzing powder, and three eye pencils...

I was completely chuffed, then I walked in to find my toddlers finger painting the walls :eek: and now I find it was a scam anyway.... ah well... ya live and learn!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lollypop1

if people bothered to check out victoria jackson they would know that she is a make up artist who has worked for people magazine and feliciy hoffman from desperate housewives. it is a really good product. i have met some people who actually saw her products for sale in the us. it is also a fact that she outsells mac three to one in america!!!take that make up snobs.IE THOOSE WHO ONLY USE MAC AND GET RIPPED OFF. when you buy products from mac you are really paying for the cost of advertising but i guess it works cause they buy it. suckers!!!. glad you liked the make up though!!:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement