Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trans fats

• 08-02-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭

I did some searching before posting and couldnt successfully find much info on trans fats on this forum.
    Im wondering just exactly what they are (I know they're bad for me) and is it compulsory for food products to have them on the labels? I.e. could i be eating them and not know about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

There's no legislation for labelling foods with trans fats in Europe (afaik) but I'm sure there will be in a short time.

Essentially trans fats are fats that started as unsaturated fats but were made into saturated fats by hydrogenation (processing). They have no redeeming features whatsoever as far as your health is concerned, but becuase they're a direct product of manufacture, as long as you avoid highly processed and junk foods and maintain a mostly wholefood diet you should be fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You'll be able to identify them if the label says "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" oils or butters.

Advertisement