Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 TDI versus Avensis D4D versus Passat TDI

Options
  • 08-02-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Looking at the above options for a change of car, all around the 2005 mark.

The exception being the A4 which would be 2004 because the 2005 is simply just too expensive :(

Havent driven the new model Passat but do like the style of it but the standard model at 105bhp might be a bit sluggish?

Have been in plenty of Avensis taxis :D but never driven one. What are they like on performance?

Whats the verdict folks?

I know its about personal preference to a large extent but any tips from experience would go down well.

I'm also seeing that a lot of the A4's around are UK imports (which is fine) but the mileage is very high, all be it 'motorway mileage'

For illustration purposes only:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=746280

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Personal preference, eye of the beholder and all that, but seriously, the Avensis has nothing like the road presense of the B6 A4. From recollection this is reflected in the pricing too (Avensis no doubt being a cheaper buy). What about the 130BHP TDI engine?

Silver is boring tho, dont do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Personal preference, eye of the beholder and all that, but seriously, the Avensis has nothing like the road presense of the B6 A4. From recollection this is reflected in the pricing too (Avensis no doubt being a cheaper buy). What about the 130BHP TDI engine?

Silver is boring tho, dont do that!

Yeah would only consider the A4 130bhp :)

Audi A4 maintains its value but cant help feeling its overpriced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Currently on my second Audi A4 1.9TDi (first one an import, this one Irish) and wouldn't consider anything else. Bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Don't forget there is a new A4 out so you might pick up a deal or at least a better choice in the 2nd hand market.

Don't know about the Toyota but the Audi/VW engine is extremely good on the juice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

one of my brothers has an 05 A4 and the other a 02 Passat. the A4 is a 2.0 TDI 140BHP and the passat a 1.9TDI 130BHP.
    both are fine cars and very lean on juice but the Passat has "much" more room in the back, a family car as they say.
    the A4 is a sales man car; it so small its nearly a 2 seater but the boot is massive in them. i'm over 6 foot and wouldn't go on a long journey in it because it would be uncomfortable.

the Avensis has lots of room as well. the passat and A4 are very reliable but knowing toyotas i think the same can be said of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

my brain would tell me to go for the avensis everytime!!!! Cheaper to service more reliable usual jap stuff....

though......

My heart would tell me audi cause i think they are an item of beauty while being more expensive to service /get parts for only plus is they may hold there value longer though you are talking bought buying a year older...

On the mileage question imo i always take the approach of never belive them on type of mileage as nearly every single eng reg car over here has only ever driven on a motorway:rolleyes:

So my advise is.........AVENSIS

• Advertisement
Advertisement