Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

64bit Vista

• 08-02-2008 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm wondering how many of yee are running 64bit Vista?

Whats the driver support like; in particular for mobile GPUs?

What programs have you come across that just won't play ball with the 64bit OS?

[I'm considering adding 2 more gigs of ram to my dell vostro and was thinking of installing 64bit OS to take advantage of the 4gigs then]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

I've been running it on a Dell D745 with 1gb of ram for the last 6 months and it runs perfectly fine. I found most of the drivers very quickly dell is great for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've been running it on my own gaming rig with 4gb of ram and an nVidia 7800gtx without any problems. Drivers for all of my hardware were readily available. I've had no problem with stuff not working with it - most 32-bit stuff will work fine. Odd programs like Daemon tools that use virtual scsi drivers and the like have 64-bit native versions available.
    If your mobile GPU is an Intel/ATI/nVidia one you should have no problems getting drivers for it, although you may have to screw around with the nvidia ones if your laptop's OEM has not made the drivers available themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Thanks guys.

@ Stephen: I thought that 64bit won't allow any messing around of drivers?
    Like I won't be able to use a modded ini for my gpu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Vista 64 bit requires drivers to be digitally signed I think. As far as I know there's nothing to stop you signing the drivers yourself :) I haven't looked into it since my laptop isn't running Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Have 64bit ultimate on my gaming rig, no bothers at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Runs fine for me, only problem i had was getting a Belkin bluetooth dongle driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Runs fine for me, only problem i had was getting a Belkin bluetooth dongle driver

Par for the course with Belkin tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sean_K wrote: »
    Par for the course with Belkin tbh

:rolleyes: Exactly, Still waitin on a Vista driver for it.

BTW, one thing you'll notice with 64bit Vista is that you gotta press f8 during boot and disable digital driver signing to get both core temp & rivatuner to work, but this will only affect you if your an overclocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

I'm running 64 bit Vista and getting some odd COM pop up every time I boot . Might be since I tried Dreamscape (or whatever it's called) I think it's an issue with my Radeon 2600XT graphics card and Catalyst support.
    Weird stuff happens with the dual monitor display when I try fancy graphcs stuff too. I'm hoping SP1 will sort my problems.
    I also have a bluetooth dongle that doesn't work.

Apart from that it rocks.
    :)

kaimera wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

@ Stephen: I thought that 64bit won't allow any messing around of drivers?
    Like I won't be able to use a modded ini for my gpu?
    You don't have to use a modded INF. Any time I do it I just choose the option to specify a driver from a list then choose the desktop version of the laptop's chip. It will warn you that the driver might not be compatible with your hardware (because of the different PCI device ID in the INF) but say yes and it will work fine.

I've been doing this for 2 years with my laptop (ATI Radeon X300 onboard) and it's worked fine every time - plus the digital signature is kept intact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Good to know Karsini. thanks

Advertisement