Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii not working, can't find receipt

Options
  • 05-01-2008 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Hey couldnt find a thread that might help me with my problem, I bought a Wii for my 4 year old from Santa but today when we tried to play games on it(tried a few to see if it was just one particular disc) It came up okay on the Wii menu but when we tried to get into the game itself the console sounded as if it was choking & stopped & an error message came up, Ive tried everything that the website is saying & the booklet. Nothing is happening....my poor baby has been in tears all day....he thinks santa broke it cause he was bold...tried to call Nintendo....are they good at rectifying problems??I cannot find the receipt & the shop I bought it wont hear of it....gobeens

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Did you by any chance use a Laser or cridit card to buy the console?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Maddison wrote: »
    I cannot find the receipt & the shop I bought it wont hear of it....gobeens

What did you expect the shop to do?

'You don't have the receipt, we will replace it for you regardless'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What did you expect the shop to do?

'You don't have the receipt, we will replace it for you regardless'

Why not, the shop just send it back to nintendo anyway, its not like nintendo ask the shop for a receipt, and I'm pretty sure the shop don't go out of pocket when sending stuff back either.

Its hassle they dont want. The OP should stick with trying to contract Nintendo directly as they will most likely repair it under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Why not, the shop just send it back to nintendo anyway, its not like nintendo ask the shop for a receipt, and I'm pretty sure the shop don't go out of pocket when sending stuff back either.

someone has to foot the bill for P&P as well as repairs, and it sure as hell won't be nintendo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

someone has to foot the bill for P&P as well as repairs, and it sure as hell won't be nintendo.

If that was the case, then no shop would stock any xboxes anymore, considering how many of the things have broken down *. The warranty (which exists, receipt or not) will cover the repair (not 100% sure about the P&P, but I'd imagine Nintendo would have to foot that too).

*Sending a 4kg xbox360 by registered post to germany (microsoft europe offices, I'm not sure if that is where they go though) costs 50 euro by reg post, and with retailers claiming 30% failure rate, thats a huge amount of money for a retailer to lose by paying for P&P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I dunno I had DS's with broken hinges and I had to send a copy of the receipt with the DS's back to Nintendo before they'd fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Each box of stock will be insured and will be sent by courier. It costs them money. Also if the item isn't actually faulty there will be charges so it's best to cover yourself fully.

If that was the case, then no shop would stock any xboxes anymore, considering how many of the things have broken down *. The warranty (which exists, receipt or not) will cover the repair (not 100% sure about the P&P, but I'd imagine Nintendo would have to foot that too).

*Sending a 4kg xbox360 by registered post to germany (microsoft europe offices, I'm not sure if that is where they go though) costs 50 euro by reg post, and with retailers claiming 30% failure rate, thats a huge amount of money for a retailer to lose by paying for P&P

actually in the wake of 360-gate, microsoft changed some of their pricing policies for corporate returns. not sure how it works now because i've left the retailer that would have dealt with that.

also, the warranty is null and void if there's no proof it was bought within x date. if you go through the retailer they need proof of this. going through microsoft might be different (they can probably track serials etc.)...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Does your 4yr old put the discs in the wii by himself? if he does could be problem mishanding the discs my little cousin wrecked playstation games:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

Ok, I had the exact same problem.
    I had the Wii for about 4 months before i decided to buy any games for it, I played Wii sports a couple of times but that was about it...
    Anyhow last weekend I purchased Metroid Prime 3 put it in the disc slot and got the same error as Maddison, I took the game back (thinking it to be a faulty disc) and got a refund.
    Yesterday I purchased the game from a different store took it home and got the same problem! At this point I decided to put the Wii sports disc back in, that worked fine then I put the Metroid Prime disc back in and Voila! it worked fine!
    Long shot I know but it's worth a try....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I had something similar when I first bought mine. One of the discs was dodgy (Zelda) but after putting that in, all of my other discs started giving the same kind of error until I rebooted the Wii.
    When I replaced the disc, the error never came up again.

In terms of receipts, try talking to management and being forceful. A contract of sale still exists between you and the retailer whether or not you have a receipt and therefore they still have an obligation to you and the product you bought from them. A receipt makes everything easier but is not required as proof that a contract exists.

seamus wrote: »
    In terms of receipts, try talking to management and being forceful. A contract of sale still exists between you and the retailer whether or not you have a receipt and therefore they still have an obligation to you and the product you bought from them. A receipt makes everything easier but is not required as proof that a contract exists.

unless you have a credit card statement of some sort, the retailer has no contractual obligation to deal with you without a receipt or other form of proof of purchase. otherwise we'd be buying items in one store and returning them in other stores that sell the same item at a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It has been over a month since this was posted. Since there has been no response from the OP since then, can we assume they found the receipt or a credit card statement and got it sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

unless you have a credit card statement of some sort, the retailer has no contractual obligation to deal with you without a receipt or other form of proof of purchase. otherwise we'd be buying items in one store and returning them in other stores that sell the same item at a higher price.
    The contractual obligation exists, receipt or no receipt. The receipt does form part of the contract, but it's not a case of no receipt == no contract.

In the event that it went to court, the court would look at two things:
    1. Does the shop sell the item in question and has the shop sold one of the item in the timeframe that the consumer says they bought it?
    2. Does the grievance appear to be in good faith - i.e. is the item actually faulty and has the consumer attempted to provide as much information as possible.

Ultimately there should be little or no loss incurred on the part of the retailer - they can return the faulty item to the manufacturer. However, the expense and waste that is going to court is best left unless there is absolutely no other course of action. Since the return to manufacturer option is always available to the consumer, the ODCA recommends that's what you do if you don't have a receipt. It's less painful.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

punt it off a bridge tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

The contractual obligation exists, receipt or no receipt. The receipt does form part of the contract, but it's not a case of no receipt == no contract.

1. Does the shop sell the item in question and has the shop sold one of the item in the timeframe that the consumer says they bought it?
    2. Does the grievance appear to be in good faith - i.e. is the item actually faulty and has the consumer attempted to provide as much information as possible.

Ultimately there should be little or no loss incurred on the part of the retailer - they can return the faulty item to the manufacturer. However, the expense and waste that is going to court is best left unless there is absolutely no other course of action. Since the return to manufacturer option is always available to the consumer, the ODCA recommends that's what you do if you don't have a receipt. It's less painful.
    The court would look at:
    1) Is there reasonable proof of purchase to indicate a contract of sale. It may not neccasarily be a receipt but without proof of purchase a court won't find a retailer liable for a product... whether or not they sold similar products in the timeframe the owner claims to have made a purchase.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

conzymaher wrote: »
    punt it off a bridge tbh

Keep the unhelpful comments of this thread, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Of course most retailers would accept a broad range of proof of purchase; receipt, credit card / laser card statement, reward card record, cheque stub.. I think the biggest issue is them having a Wii to replace your faulty one with.. which may be why the place you bought it is not playing ball? Personally I'd look for a way to prove the purchase rather than go back to the manufacturer if I could.. it's quicker and cheaper.

surely if i bought an ipod (for the sake of argument) and it broke i can't just toddle down to my local xtra-vision and say i bought it there in december and demand a new one without any proof of purchase purely because they sold one in that time period?

i understand consumer rights and all, but surely the retailers have just as many rights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I managed to get it sorted by being rather forceful & bringing my super gran in with me!!Wii was replaced!!Result!But thanks so much for your help!

Advertisement