Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from NI - NCT and VR5 questions

Options
  • 08-02-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of importing a very old banger from over the border.
    A couple of things:

1. The first registration date is 12.03.1992, and as far as I understand it should be NCT'ed here on the anniversary of first registration. Does that mean if I register it on 13.03 I won't have to NCT it for a whole year?

2. What paperworks should be done when buying privately in the UK? Similar to here, sign the back, send away, etc? Can I buy it privately from the lad and drive down straight away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm off to do this tomorrow!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Hi,

Thinking of importing a very old banger from over the border.
    A couple of things:

1. The first registration date is 12.03.1992, and as far as I understand it should be NCT'ed here on the anniversary of first registration. Does that mean if I register it on 13.03 I won't have to NCT it for a whole year?

2. What paperworks should be done when buying privately in the UK? Similar to here, sign the back, send away, etc? Can I buy it privately from the lad and drive down straight away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm off to do this tomorrow!

You NCT the car when you bring it in originally and then on the anniversary. I brought one in and got it NCT'd and 8 months later it was time to get it NCT'd again.

And on the VR5 form theres a section for change of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

HotRodDub wrote: »
    You NCT the car when you bring it in originally and then on the anniversary. I brought one in and got it NCT'd and 8 months later it was time to get it NCT'd again.

And on the VR5 form theres a section for change of ownership.

Oh, I see, thanks. Are you sure about it? it says:
    "The NCT on an imported vehicle is due on the anniversary date of first registration in the country of origin"
    Maybe you needn't have NCTed it when you brought it in, were you told you have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

You have to give the V5 to the VRO, dont send it to the DVLA in Swansea, you will never get it back, well you will just months and months later.

Advertisement