Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I re register a used car

Options
  • 08-02-2008 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a used car with plates from a county a good distance from where I live. Is it possible to re register it with plates from my "home" county? If so, how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No afaik.

Personally I would not see the point, it's only a number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This seems to be the topic of the month . This must be the 5th time its come up in the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Stekelly wrote: »
    This seems to be the topic of the month . This must be the 5th time its come up in the last few weeks.

What we need is uk style plates with the letters.It would be great.Look at the guy who bought a plate F1 for 300k:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

bazz26 wrote: »
    No afaik.

Personally I would not see the point, it's only a number plate.

Ah by the hokey ya wouldn't want sumwan tinkin ya were a culshie now wud ya! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

drdre wrote: »
    What we need is uk style plates with the letters.It would be great.Look at the guy who bought a plate F1 for 300k:D

Harder to remember in a hit and run accident, witness at a crime scene, etc.

Also doesn't give you the ability to spot a cuclhie ahead to stay out of their way as they stop to shout "WHERES DE HARSES" when they see a Luas ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

drdre wrote: »

2 of the letters on UK plates are still based on the place of registration, just like the pre-'87 plates here. See here. A lot of people would at least know what their local reg is, and looking at the new system there it seems to make a bit more sense than the apparently random letters they assigned to regions before 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Are u a GAA fan or something? I know guys who wouldn't buy a car from neighbouring county because of long-standing Gaelic feuds between respective teams...:rolleyes:

Like someone said, it's only a reg no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It would be a great revenue generator for the government to auction up UK style plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

It's nothing to do with inter county allegiances. It's just I know a guy who did it about 15 years ago but I think he might have "known somebody" that's all.

Advertisement