Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need to do architecture?

Options
  • 08-02-2008 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

The question says it all really. I have wanted to do architecture a a career since I was a child. I am just wondering what subjects I need to do or what I need to do architecture in university? I am in 5th year at the moment and I would like to know the essentials and the basics to be prepared and set up for
    architecture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I'm thinking that Art would be a must-have as there is a lot of conceptual sketching.

You possible might get away with technical drawing, which would be a plus in any case. Construction studies and physics and even engineering would all be a plus. As to what you strictly need I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You don't have to have art, technical drawing or construction studies (simply I think, as it would be unfair, my school only does one of them for example...). Course they'd be helpful, but you'd gain all those needed skills anyway.

You can do it in UCD or DIT.. probably other places too but those are the ones I know. Don't know an awful lot about UCD (it's somewhere near the bottom of my CAO), but I went to a talk about it in DIT so I'll tell you what I recall.

It's a five year course up in Bolton Street. One of these is a year abroad, I think, or a work placement type of a yoke. DIT's big on work placement things anyway.
    You don't have to have a portfolio. However, there is an interview and you can (don't have to) bring a portfolio to that. You'd bring a portfolio just because then you know you'll be talking about that in the interview. Though, they advised that if you do bring a portfolio, make sure you can talk about anything in it, (ie "why did you draw this?") or whatnot.
    There's also a suitability test. This has stuff on it like... that DATs, I guess, things like "what is the next object in this series?" and whatnot. Things like that.
    The interview is worth 100 and the suitability test is also worth 100 I think. If you don't pass them, then you can't get on the course (ie if you get 600 points but get 0 on your suitability test, you're not in).
    Points are somewhere in the 500s I THINK, and I think that's also including suitability test/interview.. I should really know better considering this is on my CAO form...

Also, you're in fifth year so you've lots of time, go and research the courses. Qualifax.ie is a handy site. All the requirements will be listed on the college website as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

if you want to get a head start at architechture you should do art. maybe technical drawing aswell.
    if your interested in civil/structural engineering, tehn do physics and applied maths. (you sorta need to have a good understanding of maths tho)

but art (and tech drawing if possible) will really help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 G55

Go to Bolton Street if you can... its a more technical based course... builders wont laugh at you when you dont know the size of a brick....

There are other options to consider.... Technology and correspondence courses in Architecture ... There is Oxford Brooks in England that you can qualify through and also Technicians Course in Bolton St Waterford Carlow Limerck ...
    Technology is a disipline that really controls Architecture, I have met some very poor Architects in my time... Architects arent qualifying with the skills at the moment and the pay scale in nearly the same, although I would say that the course is just as intense if not more... so its not an easy ride...

Hope thats helped ... but if you do do Architecture be a normal cool Architect not a pompus stupid arrogant one ...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Speaking from experience (ucd) art would be high on the list of advantageous subjects, closely followed by construction studies and then tech drawing. There's enough drawing in construction studies to give you a head start in the technical aspect of the subject. in therms of art, the history of art and general sketching/investigation stuff will really stand to you (i hated my history exams!) Tech drawing will be a good help in terms of drawing up presentations etc. but there's probably a lot of stuff in it thats irrelevant to architecture, and anything else can probably be learned fairly easily.

In terms of the course structure, its a long haul! in ucd you do a 3 year course and get a Bsc in architecture, then take a year out to get work experience (highly recommended but not mandatory), then do 2 more years in college to get a Barch. This is your degree, and allows you to work as an architect, but not by yourself afaik. You need to get a certain amount of years practical experience then take a test or something to be fully licensed. There's all sorts of technical definitions of that stuff but i cant remember them. ALso all tutors are/were practising architects, some well known, which is a help.

I'm not sure about dit, but it can't be too different.

The course is heavily based on practical elements. About 25-30 hours of scheduled studio time a week, plus about 10 hours of lectures iirc. After 1st year, the amoun of time spent in studio (where you design your own projects) goes up. Late nights are common, all-nighters (literally staying up straight through til the morning) are not unheard of, they're kind of a rite of passage i'd say! Some very arty stuff is done, but it is a very individual course, so if you want to focus on more technical aspects then you can.

Before you do it, make sure its something you really want to do. If its not you'll probably drop out, its intensive!
    PM me if you want any more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Points are somewhere in the 500s I THINK, and I think that's also including suitability test/interview.. I should really know better considering this is on my CAO form...

My mate is in first year in it and the points for it last year were only in the mid 400s (it was a drop though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, handy. Was that including test/interview?

Advertisement