Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Pink YAY!!

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

+2... very well put Baudelaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

Thanks girls, it had to be said. It's just becoming to uncomfortable to post here now because we're being made feel like we're inferiour just because we like a colour! like whats all that about? we should be able to start a thread without being attacked because we like something that maybe panders partially to a stereotype but so what? we can't avoid everything because it panders to stereotypes we didn't create. At the moment the only stereotypes that are being really enforced here are the "butch feminist" ones and all the stuff that comes with that. Some people really need to cop the f*** on and stop making this forum their soapbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Yeah thats kinda what my cigar comment meant. Sometimes its ok to just like pink or flirt or not like mooncups or want to get presents. It doesnt always have to be dissected. Sometimes it just is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

/me looks at the join dates of the posters above.

Girls you do know what this whole site started from ?
    What the culture was like before you arrived ?

I don't like pink, I find the fact that is is considered THE colour for girls odd considering it's history.
    My daughter likes pink, I don't.
    So what.

Not liking pink does not mean I have hairy armpits, liking pink does not mean any of ye are stupid.
    But I dislike they way tech is dumbed down for women and part of that is making it pink.

This place is for a female take on this and so what if that means you are going to have to put up non girlie female posters cos for the most part up until recently they were the main type of female posters on this site.

I think it's wrong that a shop or company will try rip a person off due to the colour of a product,
    I also object to mac charging more for black tech when the specs are the same as white tech.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

We are in the present now, and we have a female forum here.

The site may have been a certain way at the start, and before, but it has grown and evolved, and with that, in some forums, its still the same.

People should be able to post without their opinions being berated just because they like a certain colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Damn ya beat me to it!

and i was gonna use the term evolution too!

I didnt' breate anyone.
    I expressed I dont' like pink and pink tech and explained why.
    Is that not allowed now ?

So Ladies why do you like pink ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Think we both commented on the original post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Thaedydal wrote: »
    /me looks at the join dates of the posters above.

What the culture was like before you arrived ?

I don't like pink, I find the fact that is is considered THE colour for girls odd considering it's history.
    So what.

Not liking pink does not mean I have hairy armpits, liking pink does not mean any of ye are stupid.
    But I dislike they way tech is dumbed down for women and part of that is making it pink.

This place is for a female take on this and so what if that means you are going to have to put up non girlie female posters cos for the most part up until recently they were the main type of female posters on this site.

I think it's wrong that a shop or company will try rip a person off due to the colour of a product,
    I also object to mac charging more for black tech when the specs are the same as white tech.

Hit the nail on the head right there for me too. Nothing wrong with something aesthetically pleasing: Something wrong with going for it at the detriment of functionality or cost.

• Advertisement

I'd be reasonably confident that a pink WD passport works just as well as a black one.

I see no problem with paying slightly more for something if its a colour I like. This is why the waiting lists / costs are more for black / silver metallic cars also.
    Its just the way things are.

Silverfish wrote: »
    I'd be reasonably confident that a pink WD passport works just as well as a black one.

I see no problem with paying slightly more for something if its a colour I like. This is why the waiting lists / costs are more for black / silver metallic cars also.
    Its just the way things are.

I know its not the same thing but I have sold 100's of legendarily bad phones at a price they should never have been sold purely because they are pink.

At the same time, many women would ask my opinion, and would listen, and avoid them like the plague.

In these situations, it's hard to have respect to those who made a silly choice simply because it was pink.

If it was simply a matter of buying something for 10 euro more for a pink skin, I would be in agreement.

Is the black version of the passport a higher giggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The black macbook has a larger hard drive than the white, but it is disproportionate costwise imo (an Applestore clerk in NYC actually told me that the black isn't worth it, I'm better off buying the whitebook and getting memory/hard drive at a cheap online store!).

However, the point about this is that it is a premium product (the blackbook), hence people with more money to spend will spend it on a blackbook. This will bring in more profits for Apple and could even facilitate the reduction in price of Apple products in general because of that. Hence, having a premium for the blackbookers is good for the whitebookers too.

This may be a parallel to the pinkyaydrive as it is a premium product too surely?

SDooM wrote: »
    I know its not the same thing but I have sold 100's of legendarily bad phones at a price they should never have been sold purely because they are pink.

At the same time, many women would ask my opinion, and would listen, and avoid them like the plague.

In these situations, it's hard to have respect to those who made a silly choice simply because it was pink.

If it was simply a matter of buying something for 10 euro more for a pink skin, I would be in agreement.

Is the black version of the passport a higher giggage?

No, both precisely the same.

Pink is 99c dearer.

And yes, some women will want phones based on appearance. This does not mean that ALL women who buy things in pink do not know what they want, and they just want it pink.

Pink is €84 and 160gb
    the red is same gb and €85.99, white is €85, black is €83.01.
    So it's not a "pink" issue, theres a link on the first page very easy to look into.
    Sdoom 100s of those craps phones have more then likely been purchased in non pink too, just like theres been some good phone that have been pink as well.
    I just don't see the problem with the OP buying something in a colour she liked? I'm sure everyone elses opinions and prejudices regarding pink did not cross the OPs mind during the purchase.

No, both precisely the same.

Pink is 99c dearer.

And yes, some women will want phones based on appearance. This does not mean that ALL women who buy things in pink do not know what they want, and they just want it pink.

I don't think anyone is saying it's true of all women. I certainly didn't above! I'm just pointing out it does happen, and it is a mite silly.

There is a male equivalent- Men will buy chrome sliders for ridiculous prices, even if the phone sucks, if its looks slick. Others wont touch them with barge poles.

Nokia 8800 is a huge example...no signal through the original chrome casing but all the knobjockeys went out and bought it!

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Pink is €84 and 160gb
    the red is same gb and €85.99, white is €85, black is €83.01.
    So it's not a "pink" issue, theres a link on the first page very easy to look into.
    Sdoom 100s of those craps phones have more then likely been purchased in non pink too, just like theres been some good phone that have been pink as well.
    I just don't see the problem with the OP buying something in a colour she liked? I'm sure everyone elses opinions and prejudices regarding pink did not cross the OPs mind during the purchase.

Poor phones are bought specifically in pink for these demographics so no, they wouldn't sell otherwise because they wouldnt be bought by the network.

I got no problem with the OP's purchase: I just think people are being unrealistic by saying that certain ladies don't make silly choices, simply so they can have something in pink.

Nokia 8800 is a huge example...no signal through the original chrome casing but all the knobjockeys went out and bought it!

:) That was exactly the phone i was thinking of when I wrote that!

Poor phones are bought specifically in pink for these demographics so no, they wouldn't sell otherwise because they wouldnt be bought by the network.

So, can you provide a link to where more pink phones of a certain make have been bought than any other colour?

Just curious.

• Advertisement

me looks at the join dates of the posters above.

What's how long I've been posting got to do with it? I said "all the hardline feminist crap that's been going on lately" Lately being the operative word so don't presume to imply I have any less a valid input just because you're a mod and have over 12,000 posts.

What the culture was like before you arrived ?.

Well if some of the behaviour going on lately is anything to go by I'd say the culture was pretty much the same. The only difference between here and now compared to what it was probably like before is now it's just women putting women down instead of men, I'm sure Emily Pankhurst would be proud.
    So what.

Well other women do like pink, does that give someone the right to critize them just because of that?

Don't be so silly, it's an accessory, they offer the choice to have a pink one, if they were dumbing it down then they wouldn't have one for women at all.
    /

And do that give them the right to down on the girlie posters? I wasn't aware being a woman came with a handbook of things you can and can't like.
    /

I believe Gordon answered that one.

So, can you provide a link to where more pink phones of a certain make have been bought than any other colour?

Just curious.

I seriously doubt that any of the Irish networks would make that info available.

I actually partook in some of the market research on this.

I do know that the v220 was impossible to keep in stock in o2 because demand was so high for it, and it was a simply atrocious phone.

The C320 from siemens was never done in any colour but pink. I had a list of 20 people waiting on them at one point. (It was pretty heartbreaking, as some young girls were asking for it off Santa for Christmas, and I couldnt source them for the poor parents!)

The V3 was purchased by eedjits with too much money from either sex. Man that was a crap (but good looking) phone. I think we had a 50% retuurn rate on it.

SDoom what I ment was if theres a pink version of a phone theres 99% chance its selling beside the same phone in a different colour, my point is then in general the people are stupid for buying an overall crap phone.

Although I think they've fixed the 8800 problems with a plastic casing now haven't they?
    And don't start me on the LG chocolate.

I seriously doubt that any of the Irish networks would make that info available.

I actually partook in some of the market research on this.

I do know that the v220 was impossible to keep in stock in o2 because demand was so high for it, and it was a simply atrocious phone.

The C320 from siemens was never done in any colour but pink. I had a list of 20 people waiting on them at one point. (It was pretty heartbreaking, as some young girls were asking for it off Santa for Christmas, and I couldnt source them for the poor parents!)

The V3 was purchased by eedjits with too much money from either sex. Man that was a crap (but good looking) phone. I think we had a 50% retuurn rate on it.

Okay, its just I backed up my info, just wanted to see all the facts, but I guess I cant.

Your main problem seems to be females buying pink phones, and claiming that they outsell all others. Are you saying the pink V3 was also bought by both sexes?

SDoom what I ment was if theres a pink version of a phone theres 99% chance its selling beside the same phone in a different colour, my point is then in general the people are stupid for buying an overall crap phone.

Although I think they've fixed the 8800 problems with a plastic casing now haven't they?

No, seriously, if its in grey, you have a chance to convince people to buy a nokia or a sony erricson instead. With some people, if they see a pink phone its game over. ( Bear in mind when you work in phone retail minimising the amount of time you spend on returning phones or repairing them is important, as its time you are not earning commision.)

They replaced the 8800 with the 8800i, which dealt with alot of the issues, its still terrible value compared to other high end handsets such as a n95.

Pink is a customised colour so so what if you pay a bit more for it if thats what you want? it's like the Nintendo DS, you couldn't get a pink one anywhere last christmas because everyone wanted one (and not just kids, adults too). Everything is released in Masculine, Femine and androgenous colours it's just a simple fact that given the choice most people will pick a colour that suits their gender + personallity if it's available otherwise everything would be black.

There was also a gang of chavs that loved those Kat Kitson phones, heavens above they were awful!

Baudelaire wrote: »
    What's how long I've been posting got to do with it? I said "all the hardline feminist crap that's been going on lately" Lately being the operative word so don't presume to imply I have any less a valid input just because you're a mod and have over 12,000 posts.

Mods are only mods in the forums they mod they are just posters everywhere else.

I was trying to explain that for the most part of the 10 years this site has existed it has had mostly non girlie posters.

Yes it is a change and a shift and it is taking a lot of getting used to.
    Well other women do like pink, does that give someone the right to critize them just because of that?

This also happens the other way around.

Don't be so silly, it's an accessory, they offer the choice to have a pink one, if they were dumbing it down then they wouldn't have one for women at all.

Choice is good, I'm all for choice but when did there not being a pink one mean the product is not for women ?
    And do that give them the right to down on the girlie posters? I wasn't aware being a woman came with a handbook of things you can and can't like.

I feel that way from the other side of this.
    Why should I be made to feel, less feminine, less of a woman cos I don't like pink and am not into what is seen as girlie things ?

Why is the sterotype of hairy, angry, unsexy, unhappy, manhater ( all dafty being referred to as feminist ) being thrown at those who do not like pink and don't get the obsession with it ?

Okay, its just I backed up my info, just wanted to see all the facts, but I guess I cant.

Your main problem seems to be females buying pink phones, and claiming that they outsell all others. Are you saying the pink V3 was also bought by both sexes?

Think you are picking me up wrong here. :)

There is a certain amount of ladies who will just buy a pink phone because it is pink.

No amount of reasoning will prevent them from buying the handset for any reason at all.

It would prob be impossible for me to prove this statistically. They dont outsell all other phones: Certain phones are bought specifically in pink for these customers. The quality of them is usually shocking. There are plenty of reasonable ladies who buy phones for functionality/reliability/ cost etc.

These ladies might also buy a phone which suits their purpose in pink if its available: I dont think any sane person would have any issue with that.

The V3 came in at least 4 colours. My point about it is that it was crap, but visually appealing, so it sold to eedjits of both sexes. (The same type of male exists, its just they dont go for pink :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

FFS the OP wanted a pink external harddrive, the OP found a pink external hard drive, the OP is happy she now has a pink external harddrive. What's the f***ing problem with that? why does every thread have to be taken over with this "We're conditioned to like pink/fluffy things/teddybears/shiney things" crap? Pink is pretty, pink is girly and there's nothing wrong with liking pink things. Just because you like girly things doesn't make you any less a woman and to be honest the only thing that's making this forum less female is all the hardline feminist crap that's been going on lately. I assume the forum was created as a place where women could post in a woman safe zone but seriously read some of the sh**e being spouted by some of the posters here it's no wonder we all prefer BGRH, at least all the lads don't question every action we take like we're letting down our gender. If this crap is going to continue I'd suggest asking for a feminist forum because pretty soon no one is going to want to start a thread or post for fear of being jumped on by the hairy armpit brigade :rolleyes:

honey if you think this is turning into feminist forum then you need to get out more. Trust me I've worked with some hardcore feminist groups whats discussed here is fluff compared to the topics they cover. I honestly don't give a toss if the OP got something pink what I'd hate is for them to post that and we just have twenty replies of "Ooooo thats great" how is that interesting? At least the thread lead to a discussion. I found out some new information and it lead to a whole other thread of discussion.

I'm not a feminist by any stretch of the imagination I shave my armpits and I hate all people equally regardless of gender. I don't have any issue with the actually colour pink I just wouldn't want any of my hardware in pink, I don't wear makeup or high heels but I'm still a woman so my opinion should be as valid in this forum as any woman who does like all those things - no more no less.

Advertisement