Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Pink YAY!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Thaedydal wrote: »

Why is the sterotype of hairy, angry, unsexy, unhappy, manhater ( all dafty being referred to as feminist ) being thrown at those who do not like pink and don't get the obsession with it ?

Personally I don't like pink either never have, but I have no views or opinions on people who like pink, like I've none on somone who likes blue, unfortunately some posters on here seem to jump on anything they deem to be pink or "girl-ish" and see fit to make assumptions on people as a whole on the basis of one or two posts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Baudelaire wrote: »
    Pink is a customised colour so so what if you pay a bit more for it if thats what you want? it's like the Nintendo DS, you couldn't get a pink one anywhere last christmas because everyone wanted one (and not just kids, adults too). Everything is released in Masculine, Femine and androgenous colours it's just a simple fact that given the choice most people will pick a colour that suits their gender + personallity if it's available otherwise everything would be black.

Fine and dandy. My point:

Crap pink item for 80 euro. Assistant tells you it is terrible, and will break. Effectively not fit for purpose.
    High quality item for 80 euro from different brand. Assistant raves about it, insists you will love it. Assistant appears to really know his stuff.

Which one, reasonably, would you buy?

If it is the same item in both colours and slightly dearer in pink, no problem.

My point:

Some people are silly about pink. The OP is not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

GinnyJo that type of prejudice is cutting both ways here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

it's like the Nintendo DS, you couldn't get a pink one anywhere last christmas because everyone wanted one (and not just kids, adults too).

the DS came in white [as the original gameboy was off white/grey] Black [to match the PSP] and Pink....now other then aiming it at girls why else would you make a pink DS? thankfully they are finally bringing out more colours but when I got mine during the summer the sales guy brought out the pink one without asking me - that annoyed me sent him back to get a white one - its fine to be girly and want a pink DS but they should have made a bunch of different colours like apple with the ipod - they didn't make Masculine, Femine and androgenous ones they just made a bunch of different colours.

The pink PSP they can at least defend as it was to do with Pink the singer even thou it is the most ugly thing I've ever seen and costs more then the black one.

Everything is released in Masculine, Femine and androgenous colours it's just a simple fact that given the choice most people will pick a colour that suits their gender + personallity if it's available otherwise everything would be black.

But thats what most of this discussion has been about - why is pink considered femine and do you pick it because you like or because your are meant to like? I don't think those are feminists issues, I just think they are interesting questions and I for one was surprised by the answers. I spent years studying colour in art school and all the different meanings that go with it and I find it an interesting topic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

GinnyJo that type of prejudice is cutting both ways here.

I'm sure if you look back over the threads in the last week or so you'd see the pattern, its the reason I don't spend as much time as I used to here.
    Some fun thread is posted, ten posts down the OP is berated for conforming to the social norm for a woman according to another posters judgement and then people have to defend the Ops point.
    Its tiresome, I don't agree with everything thats posted at all, but live and let live, this jumping down peoples throats is just ruining it completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

Mods are only mods in the forums they mod they are just posters everywhere else.

I never implied you were a mod on here I just said you were a mod, I have my own forum run by vBulletin software so I know how it works.
    I was trying to explain that for the most part of the 10 years this site has existed it has had mostly non girlie posters.

And now that there's a few girlie ones what? are they all feeling left out now or something that they feel the need to attack every girlie post thats made?
    Yes it is a change and a shift and it is taking a lot of getting used to.

I don't see why, if posts can be made on other forums that aren't attacked I don't see why the same can't apply here.
    This also happens the other way around.

But not one person so far has posted on a thread critizing someone because they started a thread about buying something that wouldn't be considered girlie have they? the girlie posters don't use threads to push their agenda because the have none it's a pity we can't say the same for all the posters.
    Choice is good, I'm all for choice but when did there not being a pink one mean the product is not for women ?

I never said not having a pink one would mean it's not for women, at most I said pink is just a customization.

I feel that way from the other side of this.
    Why should I be made to feel, less feminine, less of a woman cos I don't like pink and am not into what is seen as girlie things ?

You shouldn't but as I said it's not the girlie posters that are critizing others for their choices is it?
    Why is the sterotype of hairy, angry, unsexy, unhappy, manhater ( all dafty being referred to as feminist ) being thrown at those who do not like pink and don't get the obsession with it ?

No actually that was only partially to do with this thread, it's actually every thread thats being wreaked lately and it just comes across that the objective is to turn this forum into a soapbox that will eventually exclude most women because the truth is no one is going to want to post because why would anyone just to take the sh1t the OP got just for buying a pink accessory?

No actually that was only partially to do with this thread, it's actually every thread thats being wreaked lately and it just comes across that the objective is to turn this forum into a soapbox that will eventually exclude most women because the truth is no one is going to want to post because why would anyone just to take the sh1t the OP got just for buying a pink accessory?

the OP didn't get sh!t for buying a pink bit of tech - it originally was because people felt she'd paid more for a lesser piece of tech just cus to get it in pink. Its not really a feminists issue its a value for money vs fashion issue.

That lead to a discussion on the origin of gender colour assignment [which I actually thought was pretty interesting maybe it should have been moved to a whole new thread but it wasn't not the end of the world]

There shouldn't be an issue if you want something in pink but why should you have to pay more for it just to have it in pink [like some mobile phones]. The pink PSP costs more then the standard black.

and what other soapbox issues are your harping on about it? or then alot of people not liking the guy you posted pictures of what other threads do you feel have been "wrecked" by those damn famnazis and their evil ways?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

ztoical wrote: »
    the OP didn't get sh!t for buying a pink bit of tech - it originally was because people felt she'd paid more for a lesser piece of tech just cus to get it in pink. Its not really a feminists issue its a value for money vs fashion issue.

99c more for something in a colour she wants vs the standard colour isn't really that bad, in my opinion.

Silverfish wrote: »
    99c more for something in a colour she wants vs the standard colour isn't really that bad, in my opinion.

nope not bad at all - I actually thought the thread was heading off into "what colour are all your tech/toys" direction, which in itself was also interesting.

I will stand by the comment that the pink PSP is beyond ugly and I can't see even the most girly girl being seen dead with the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I see your point Thaedydal but I have to somewhat agree with Baudelaire.

I've read quite a few threads on here and sometimes it saddens me to see that people can't just have a bit of fun. I've often said to myself 'why so serious?'. Everyone's choices in life should be celebrated, be it that they want a pink phone, harddrive etc I mean in the grand scheme of things these are so trival and benal. As they say 'know the battles to fight' and don't sweat the small stuff. :)

To the OP I'm delighted that you found something that you like and would like to spend your money on. :)

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

for anyone arguing that having pink phones (or other gadgets) is part of the phone being an accessory and for choice... then where are the other colours? blue, red, green, purple? i admit, i love green and purple (not necessarily together though), and if i liked the phone, i would probably buy a purple/green/black one over a grey/silver/pink one, but surely you understand that the reason that the main 'alternative' colour being marketed is pink, is aimed at girly girls who will buy the phone specifically for its colour. the marketers are assuming that the buyers will be a little dummer, will go for it on its colour instead of its technological qualities and that people are lapping the pink products up.

i can't count how many people have showed me their new phone, and i've pointed out that their old one was grand, only to be told 'yeah, but this one is pink. '

*shrugs*

im probably as bad in my own little way, but anyway, that's my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Hagar wrote: »

WRT the "no nipple rule" I agree context is all important, in this case the spirit of the law rather than the word of the law should apply.

i wasnt aware there was a no nipple rule.

Where does it say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

some people just like getting things in their favourite colours. i have a friend who loves blue & EVERYTHING she buys she'll always pick blue (phones, camera, clothes, paint, etc). i have a feeling if shed posted saying "Its Blue YAY!" the thread wouldnt have turned out the way it did.

As for dumbing down technology by making it pink, i dont think this is true. how is changing the colour dumbing it down. it just appeals to a different group of people. I know my technology & computers, but if i was given the choice between a pink hard drive & a black 1 id probably pick the pink 1 because i like pink. If there was a purple option i might pick the purple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Pink is a girlie colour no?

Yea? wow big deal.

I have a pink shirt, well it was red but after a few washes went pink..

Man, id goooood times in that shirt :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

snyper wrote: »

Man, id goo times in that shirt :D

Don't want to know.

Ok gonna try and rationalise this given the input by some of the wonderful female posters here.

I don't have a problem with people paying slightly more to have an item or applicance in thier colour of choice,( even if it is pink cos I don't like it thats just me ).

I do have a problem with some one assuming that cos I am female that I will automatically want the item in pink ( I don't like pink ).

I don't like companies that will try and exploit that some women like or obess over pink things ( well some of them do, my own family members even :( ) by trying to charge them a lot more or by pushing a lower spec item just cos it is pink.

That is my major gripe about pink tech, the thinking that all or at least most women are dumb enough to by any old shíte cos it is pink, there are a few women like that out there mind my cousin is one of them. Smart lady has her BA and MA but I don't know pink things just seem to make her irrational.

Coolsmileygirl you got what you wanted and in the colour of your choice and didn't have to pay over the odd for that privelge, kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Pink Powder Room anyone?

crapper.jpg

http://www.rotorooter.com/powder/

When oh when will Nintendo release Pink Wiis?

Just looking at that makes me feel ill :(

Good thing there is a nice big toilet then.

I don't like companies that will try and exploit that some women like or obess over pink things ( well some of them do, my own family members even :( ) by trying to charge them a lot more or by pushing a lower spec item just cos it is pink.

eg. pink sony vaios. ill admit i have a weakness for pink but luckily i have some sense too. i know you usually pay more for a sony with specs youd usually pay a few hundred less for, but i got the same specs on a 600 euro laptop as what cost 1300 for a pink vaio. it was so pretty though.. maybe if i was rich & had money to throw away.

• Advertisement

That's the pink Sony Vaio in the centre of the pink powder room there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

sar84 wrote: »
    eg. pink sony vaios. ill admit i have a weakness for pink but luckily i have some sense too. i know you usually pay more for a sony with specs youd usually pay a few hundred less for, but i got the same specs on a 600 euro laptop as what cost 1300 for a pink vaio. it was so pretty though.. maybe if i was rich & had money to throw away.

Dell now do a range of colours including pink, they would probably be a cheaper option than a Vaio for anyone considering such a thing

Dell now do a range of colours including pink, they would probably be a cheaper option than a Vaio for anyone considering such a thing

yeah a friend has 1, its nice if you wanted a pink laptop.

hadnt noticed the laptop in the pink room, it blended in quite well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

release Pink Wiis?

Hehe :)

It's coming out of me like pink cable!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I don't like companies that will try and exploit that some women like or obess over pink things ( well some of them do, my own family members even :( ) by trying to charge them a lot more or by pushing a lower spec item just cos it is pink..

on the other hand, if it wasnt a popular choice, you could be damn sure that a corporate body would not indulge the lady's love of pink at the cost of a single penny.
    Its fair to say that these things are made, becuase they sell in large amounts.

doesnt mean you or I want one, but I know plenty of chicks who love pink, and would pay for it.

No one is forced to shell out cash for this stuff, if people want to buy it, then so be it. Personally, i only worry when it affects me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I've known one female who would absolutely love a room like that, all pink. Never really understood it, surely you would get sick of the colour if you were constantly surrounded by it, but she didn't seem to think so.
    *hopes she finally got that pink room for herself*

I think the way to look at the whole "ooh, it's pink, I want it thing" is simply an it harm none do as ye will. Who does it really harm if someone wants all their stuff in a certain colour, as long as the colour doesn't make them a threat (e.g. black things in a poorly illuminated room) then it's a harmless thing that's making someone happy, without requiring anyone else to be unhappy, should that not be encouraged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LittleGoblin

About the use of pink and its connotations I found this a good article that made me think a little...

http://www.thefword.org.uk/features/2007/10/the_problem_wit

Its more about the marketing of products and possible deeper meanings, but an interesting read all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Having just glanced over that article, Little Goblin, I feel it's missing a vital acknowledgement, although I may have missed it - while Breast Cancer is an often terrifying and a truly awful disease, your life doesn't end the second you find out you're sick. For some people the very frivolity of, for example, a Pink Party can be exactly what they need. Equally, for some people that's the last thing they want. Those who manufacture/sell products that benefit charities in some way usually make a profit for themselves too. If they didn't, they probably "couldn't afford" to donate anything to said charity. As far as I can see some donation is bigger than no donation.

I got a pink DS for christmas, and I was really disappointed that it wasn't silver, but that's a bit churlish of me. That said, I like pink. The DS works just as well in pink as it does in any other colour, as far as I know. I haven't had any problems with it so far. *touches wood*

Who cares what colour something is? If someone wants to spend their money on an inferior product because it's a certain colour or size or shape, even when an equivalent or even far superior product is available for less money, it's their choice. If their choice is based on subliminal marketing, then so be it - does it detract from their enjoyment of the product? Unless the answer is yes, then who cares? If someone wants to buy a crappy phone for example, simply because it's pink, and they're warned that it's crap in advance but that doesn't deter them, who cares? Until it falls apart they'll enjoy it, even if it is far inferior to similar products that are available. Whether you shave, wax, comb or spray miracle-gro on your armpits shouldn't make any difference to the above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement