Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing Ford Mondeo (Transfer of residency)

Options
  • 08-02-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have decided that I'm going to buy myself a Ford Mondeo here in England and keep it for myself for about 18 months. If I come home in November this year with it, and keep it in Ireland for 12 months, do you think I'd break even selling it ?

Here are some assumptions about the car

-- I'll try to go for a 2003/2004 model with a reasonable mileage on it (ie: lower than 60000 miles.)
    -- I'll go for the 2L TDCi 115ps engine.
    -- I'll get the car from one of those car supermarket places like Cargiant.co.uk so I am hoping that it should be in good condition (am I right in hoping that)?

I want to buy the car here and break even when I sell it at home and move to Australia in about 18 months from now.

Is my plan to succeed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I lived in the UK and imported it into Ireland without having to pay VRT as I was resident and working in the UK for over 6 months after purchasing the car. The revenue commissioners will ask for the following proof that you were living and working in the UK:

-P60.
    -Wage slips.
    -Utility Bills.
    -Copies of lease's/rent books.
    -V5 for the car.

Basically any proof you can dig up to show that you resided and were employed for the 6 months after you bought the car.

The only other bit of advice is to buy a car that is easy/profitable to sell in Ireland. I don't know if a mondeo would be the best to bring in if you want to turn a quick buck. I'd go with a high end/rare/limited edition german car myself.

Hope it works well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Cheers man, thanks for the advice. I was thinking about importing a Diesel BMW 2004/2005 model, but at the moment I can't afford something like that, and I doubt at this stage, given the credit crunch over here, that they would give me a bank loan. I've also been told about a recession in Ireland, and advised against buying an expensive car hoping to sell it to make a nice profit. I'm not really looking to turn a profit, just to break even to be honest, and have a nice car to drive around in Ireland for the year that I'll be home.

Ok I've been thinking. I probably should scrap the idea of a mondeo and go for a mk 5 diesel golf instead. Any ideas on that ? Would a golf be a better bet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

with the VRT changes in July, importing a diesel from the UK will be cheaper anyway, as will new diesel cars.

Cool I know that. I would normally bring a 1l small engined car into Ireland i can get here for about £1000, but if I do that I'll have to pay 2000 euro tax a year on it. The requirements for my car would be:

-- It has to be manufactured post 2001
    -- It has to be a diesel
    -- It should be something that won't depreciate a massive amount in 18 months

Can anyone reccommend something good ? So far I have been thinking of a Mark 5 Golf TDi.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone who has posted here for their input. I have narrowed it down to 2 cars.

-- Toyota Yaris D4d 1.4l Diesel
    -- Volkswagen Golf Mk5 1.9l TDi

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

pontovic wrote: »
    Thanks everyone who has posted here for their input. I have narrowed it down to 2 cars.

-- Toyota Yaris D4d 1.4l Diesel
    -- Volkswagen Golf Mk5 1.9l TDi

I'm not sure a Yaris diesel has much of a market here, they never really caught on over here, most sold would have been carvan versions.

I reckon a Corolla D-4D would be a safer bet.

Cool

Yep, my friend who is a dealer concurs that the Yaris would be a por choice in diesel. So that leaves the Golf as my first choice if I can afford it, and if I can't I'll just pick up a diesel ford focus from 2001-02

Quick question.

How much would it cost for a full service on a ford mondeo? How much do you think a TDCi diesel (high miler) would go for in Ireland? Let's say a 2001 - 2002 model that is in good condition.

Thanks

anyone ??

• Advertisement

bump, anyone ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ollie30

think the 01-02 mondeo diesel had the older tddi engine not the tdci,you'd probably get around 5-6k for that age of a mondeo.try an avensis d4d not as great selling used car in uk but good over here.or even the last type skoda octavia if you can stretch to it ,the diesel version of it will be in the lower emissions bracket than the mondeo/passat/avensis come july ,at least the road tax will be well down compared to the other mentioned cars even though the emission difference is very little it is under the figures needed to put it in the same bracket of vrt/tax.hence cheaper car tax should be easier shifted come selling time

Advertisement