Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Suction Pump

Options
  • 08-02-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can pick up a Liquid Suction Pump in Cork/Kerry Area for reasonable money? Very handy for oil changes saves you having to actually get under the car can suck the oil from the up from the sump through the top of the block. Had a look at ebay but they are about 100 for a 17 litre one something around 10 litres would be plenty for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

have one at home for small air-cooled engines but can't recommend them for cars as sludge builds up where the oil isn't drained properly.
    This is a big issue on turbo engines where the oil is used to lubricate the turbo.
    With longer service intervals (e.g. 15K Miles on my car) you really need to be draining the oil out through the sump plug.

I know I'm not answering the question but if the object is to avoid inconvenience and save money then you really need to drain your sump at each oil change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mailman wrote: »
    have one at home for small air-cooled engines but can't recommend them for cars as sludge builds up where the oil isn't drained properly.
    This is a big issue on turbo engines where the oil is used to lubricate the turbo.

Valid point. This is critical on all PSA HDi engines (as is the type of oil you use).

Drain using the sump plug - it does remove a lot more sludge that a suction device.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I bought a Sealy one, 6 litre for about 80euro locally. Got it for the boat because if you want to get to the sump bolt you gotta take out the engine :eek:

Pay for a good brand imho. I'd say cheaper ones have crappy seals etc.

I wouldn't use one on a car for the reasons mentioned above. If you have access to the sump bolt, always use it

Advertisement