Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

religious statues on o'connell street ?

Options
  • 08-02-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

has anyone seen the statue of jesus incased in a glass box near the bottom of o'connell st. ? i first noticed it around november and just last week i noticed another new statue (much bigger) of something like a bishop. neither have any marking or plaque. whats the story with these ? personally i think the one of jesus is very tacky and like what you'd get in that religious shop across the road. I'm just curious who gives the go ahead for these things and whats the thinking behind them ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ever noticed the mad old woman who dances in the middle of o'connel st across from beshoffs?There is or was some sort of a shrine there too,anyone got more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Another question about "things" on O'Connell street. Whats with the sort of LCD projection screens of a man and woman simply walking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Another question about "things" on O'Connell street. Whats with the sort of LCD projection screens of a man and woman simply walking?

Its called "ART" by students and people with beards.I call it "a waste of electricity".

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

Degsy wrote: »
    Ever noticed the mad old woman who dances in the middle of o'connel st across from beshoffs?There is or was some sort of a shrine there too,anyone got more info?

unfortunately not but i'll be looking for her now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hugejeans

that mad old woman has been dancing there as long as i can remember, she is usually singing some song with a set of roserie beads in her hand.

I've seen the plastic Jesus at the end of O'Connell st but haven't noticed the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think it was funded by the taxi drivers. They have another one in the holding compound in Dublin Airport.

OConnellStreetSacredHeart.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That's been there for years - it just got removed for a while, cleaned, and then put back in place. The only reason people notice now is because everything else now is gone e.g. trees, fountain.

Nolanger wrote: »
    That's been there for years - it just got removed for a while, cleaned, and then put back in place. The only reason people notice now is because everything else now is gone e.g. trees, fountain.
    Yes - I didn't notice it missing until it was replaced again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Was brought back after lobbying by taxi drivers. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is alleged that the Jesus statue was foudn in the ruins of the Gresham in 1916. It has certainly been there for a long time. Never seen a bishop.

Of course, why complain about Jesus and not complain about all the politicians?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah, i only noticed this week

johnson1 wrote: »
    another new statue (much bigger) of something like a bishop
    Are you confusing it with the one of a monk in a habit (Franciscan?). Perhaps it's in a different Street but there is a monk-like statue somewhere. I just can't recall at the moment. I don't recall seeing any 'bishop' in O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

That statue was on O'Connel st before they did it up. I personally think they should get rid of it. Its a bit tacky!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

fitzyshea wrote: »
    That statue was on O'Connel st before they did it up. I personally think they should get rid of it. Its a bit tacky!
    WHY ?? does it not blend into your perception of the new ultra modern look that is o connell st .while were at it all those other statues are so dated especially that monstrosity at the bridge the one of "whos his name" lets replace all them aswell .:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

/puts hated PC hat on and opens can of worms:D

Shouldn't it be removed as it could be offensive to non-christians like what they did in James?

/throws PC hat away

Nah, we keep all symbols, lets even bring an Allah and Buddha one as well, decorates the street better than those electronic yokes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Anyone ever notice the illegal plaque on O'Connell bridge?

It's pretty strange... it's about some priest who went over the bridge in a carriage years ago. There is no record of any such event happening and no one knows who put the plaque there.

They did a bit of a crap job putting it in too and the stone work is cracked around it. O'Connell bridge is in an awful state over all actually, with bits of plastic barriers in the place of the pillars in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

her husband died near that spot years ago, and she went a bit cracked. She goes down there to dance and chant in his memory. When the Spire was being erected she moved up the street and did her chanting there.

Anyone ever notice the illegal plaque on O'Connell bridge?

It's pretty strange... it's about some priest who went over the bridge in a carriage years ago. There is no record of any such event happening and no one knows who put the plaque there.
    Fr Pat Noise is supposedly an anagram of "Pater Noster" ("Our Father" in Latin) and the HSTI an anagram of "Shit". :eek: They also spelt "Peadar Clancy" incorrectly as "Peadar Clancey".

Itwas erected by two brothers as a joke. RTE were sent an amateur film of it.

And it just so happens ........:D

BridgeOConnellFrPatNoise.jpg
    They did a bit of a crap job putting it in too and the stone work is cracked around it.
    The plaque was put into a recess left by a part of the millenium countdown clock. I think the damage was done when that was removed.
    O'Connell bridge is in an awful state over all actually, with bits of plastic barriers in the place of the pillars in places.
    Some of those plastic barrier have been there for years noe. They are very unsightly especially on a prominent and much photographed bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Thats Mandy, not enough characters like him around

Him! :confused:

• Advertisement

Ever noticed the mad old woman who dances in the middle of o'connel st
    There's a bit of information about her in this thread.

That reminds me. I haven't seen the old 'Hothouse Flowers' woman with the crucifix for a long time. Dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

He used the ladder to get back in...

ian_m wrote: »
    Who did? What ladder? :confused:

Who did? What ladder?

OConnellStreetSacredHeart.jpg

This ladder.

ian_m wrote: »

This ladder.
    Oh, right.

Anyway...

I remember those statues when I was a kid getting dragged up o'connell street to get my school uniform. I actually didn't notice they were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Was that the guy who was on Katherine Lynch's Working Girls two weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Zombie Jebus must be killed......

ZOMBIE_JESUS.JPG

===================================================

1.Blades don't need reloading....
    2.Only a Head-Shot Counts When Your Fighting A Zombie....
    3.The zombie may be gone, but the threat lives on.

and whatever your having yourself :p someones been playing with the chemistry set :confused:

• Advertisement

110-1025_IMG.JPG

heres the lady i think yous are on about havnt seen her in awhile gb the lady she was there years and never done anyone any harm

Advertisement