Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experience of eircom wimax?

Options
  • 08-02-2008 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,

I've just moved house and I can't get broadband by landline as before.
    Eircom is offering wimax at the same rate (but 150 euro install charge!).
    I'd never even heard of wimax until now.
    Anybody have any experience of this? - it it reliable?
    According to eircom I should get same speed (1Mb download, 128k upload).

I'm in Barna, Galway, if that's of any relevance.

Thanks for any info,
    Krachmacher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Is this the stuff irish broadband do ? the little satellite ? If so then its pretty good. Im getting from a local sligo company called fastcom. its not the best for gaming but for an average user its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Its not the same as IBB, IBB were going to roll it out but that seemed to have never happened. It's a wireless tech with a much greater range than the tech IBB use. It's range is approx 15-20km and is capiable of speeds of up to 70Mbit but not a chance more like 10Mbit over 10Km so 1 MB wont be a problem in the slightest.

The installation cost is on account that they will be strapping a few grands worth of equipment to your house.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005647

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Is this truly wimax, or dialup onto a digi phone card? Wimax is just beginning in the States, whereas dialup through phone carriers has been around awhile. Transfer rates on dialup here run about 1.5mbps (slow!), while the new wimax (in beta) is said to be much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The overall WiMax speed is shared. So to have a reasonable number of users it is limited per user to 1Mbps. The 3.6MBps on HSDPA is for the sector, so a user if 23 others are connected might get 70k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What are the response times like. Is a no go for gaming?

• Advertisement
Advertisement