Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tinitus? What is it?

• 08-02-2008 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Thanks guys...

Im not asking Anything.... just wanted to see what percentage of people in Ireland expierence this..... dont need to be a hospital to find that out!:)

Incase anyone dosent know what it is... quick summary.

Tinnitus can be perceived in one or both ears or in the head. It is usually described as a ringing noise, but in some patients it takes the form of a high pitched whining, buzzing, hissing, humming, or whistling sound, or as ticking, clicking, roaring, "crickets" or "tree frogs" or "locusts", tunes, songs, or beeping. It has also been described as a "whooshing" sound, as of wind or waves.

Tinnitus is not itself a disease but a symptom resulting from a range of underlying causes, including ear infections, foreign objects or wax in the ear, and injury from loud noises. Tinnitus is also a side-effect of some oral medications, such as aspirin, and may also result from an abnormally low level of serotonin activity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

We responded to your other thread. Don't get ahead of yourself just yet buddy :) Give it a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Why not ask on the biology forum. Or better yet, go speak to your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭stewiegriffin08

I know, thanks for that btw... Just annoyed that that thread was closed.... so I thought I would go by the regulations and open it again.... just to let you know Im not panicing about it,....haha, I had hoped it would go away soon..

Hold on, Im not asking for cures, why I have it or what it is.... I am simply asking how many people expierence this....out of pure intrest.. I was just curious.... Maybe it would be better in the biology thread,.... but I think its a personal matter if you want to let us know...

Just relax and don't worry for now.. Listen to some soft music.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Just relax and don't worry for now.. Listen to some soft music.

good advice :) thanks

Hm.. I'd imagine it's rare enough.. I don't know anyone with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Just annoyed that that thread was closed.... so I thought I would go by the regulations and open it again

Your thread was locked because you were essentially asking for medical advice. Read the title of your first thread! Nobody here can tell you for certain if you're going to hear that ringing noise for the rest of your days. If you're speaking in generalities then it's not a personal issue.

Reposting a locked thread is a big no no btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It was closed for a reason.

Moved from PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Amy Elliott

I have it in my right ear because of an ear infection I got at Christmas and hasn't gonna away , despite 3 different antibiotics. It is horrible OP and I completely sympathise with you . I have constant ringing in that ear and pain at night and it is so bad sometimes that I can't sleep . I can't enjoy listening to music anymore , which is the one thing I love more than anything.
    The only advise I found on websites is to wear ear-plugs or have some sort of constant backround noise, which is just not very helpful at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have sufferd with tinntus for many years now and it is not rare in fact it's more common now even more amoung younger people subjected to loud music with ipods and what have you .It was associated with older people but it can be caused by both outside and inside influences ie , loudness in a work place like buiding site, factory , or airport etc and also by some perscription drugs and blood circulation .

I could talk buckets about tinnitus and my own expierence of it to anybody anytime .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I've had it since I was 13. I'm 27 now. Happy to talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Same here , i am in my 40s and cant remember a time not having it .It used to stress me out when i first had it and some days were worse than others ,but learned over the years to become accustomed to the ringing and that's half the battle ,accepting it's there and getting used to it .

Some medication like certin painkillers ,red wine, chocolate ,caffiene and alcohol in general can make it worse ,but it doesn't put me off having a few beers in moderation every week or so .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

In case anyone dosent know what it is

What it is is very annoying :)

Got it ten years ago following severe ear/throat infection. Both ears affected. Louder in one ear than the other.

GP tried me on SERC for a few weeks. No improvement.

As it was not going away GP sent me for hearing test that showed slight losses at higher frequencies in both ears.

GP then said he did not want to miss a diagnosis especially where tinnitus was one sided only or louder on one side. Wanted to outrule an acoustic neuroma ?

Off to ENT. Sent for head MRI. Nothing found in my head - nothing medically abnormal that is :)

ENT advice was to live with it. Low level background noise kills it off or cancels it for me.

Have to have follow up hearing test in a few years for comparison.

It could be worse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

if someone gets new onset tinnitus, then they need to see a doc to find out if there's an underlying cause. I'd make an appointment asap with your GP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bethany

Tinnitus is fairly common and is usually associated with noise exposure , infection or rarely and seriously with a tumour called an acoustic neuroma. In other words most usually it is not serious even though it is troublesome. The most usual cause of it in young people is exposure to noise. Noise levels in clubs are usually above levels permitted in industry. The golden rule with noise is that if you are standiing at arm's lenght from someone and find yourself shouting then the music is too loud and will cause at least temp hearing loss in your ability to hear high frequencies and possibly tinnitus.If you come out of a club and your ears are ringing , then the music was too loud. If you had a hearing test then it would show temp loss of hearing. If given time this recovers but repeated exposure to such loud noise will cause permanent hearing loss , often with associated tinnitus.
    Using personal music devises such as MP3 players etc at very high volume can also cause hearing loss and often tinnitus.
    The British Society of Audiologists predicated a couple of years ago that there would be an epidemic of hearing loss among todays young attending clubs due to exposure to excessive loud music.
    Tinnitus after an infection is usually short lived but if it persists it must be checked out by having an MRI to exclude the tumour.
    Tinnitus can be very depressing and difficult to cope with and in the case of noise induced deafness and tinnitus it is far easier to prevent than cure.

Advertisement