Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic space.

Options
  • 08-02-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello all,

I want to create more space in my attic, but the roof is what I belive is a "truss" roof design.
    I have attached a crude picture of what a section looks like.

I want to know if it is possible to move the support "A" to the position shown in my second diagram. I'm hoping it will be possible, as I am not removing the support from the beams.

There are 4 of these in a row and I just want to mive them to create enough space to walk through.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I'm not a structural engineer, but I think I could safely say, without contradiction, that what you propose is a non-runner. Pre-fabricated roof trusses are computer designed and produced in a factory under controlled conditions. The trusses in your roof are designed to perform in a certain way. Altering the trusses will have a significant impact on the performance of the truss- it is no longer capable of performing as was designed. That is not to say that you cannot achieve your desired outocme by using some other (engineered) approach, either through the use of addtional structural steel supports or using a designed truss in lieu of the current structure. You will need to consult an engineer or experienced builder, I believe.

Advertisement