Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which of these two audio interfaces to buy? One cheap one expensive

Options
  • 08-02-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Is the difference between these two audio interfaces very very big, and worth the difference in money? I will be doing a masters in composition in a year or two so want to make sure I have good music equipment to work with. I dont mind spending the money on the more expensive one, but was just wondering is it worth it if I want professional sounding music?

Would the cheaper of the two do the same job, or would the difference be noticeable?
    Line 6 toneportUX8
    http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Line-6-Toneport-UX8~ID~8233.asp

Mackie Onyx
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/mackie_onyx_satellite.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

The real question is, if you're doing a masters in composition (i.e. commercially orientated for TV and radio), will you be utilising much outboard gear at all?

These composition orientated sample banks are the de facto standard for much of the 'muzak' you'd hear on tv programmes these days, certainly worth considering what route you'll eventually be going down

And these aren't even the really expensive ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Hi there,

Audio interfaces can be tricky to get right. In my opinion there are a number of things to consider.

No. of ins/outs
    - how many tracks are you ever going to need to record at once. Some interfaces have adat ports that would allow you to add a further 8 inputs later & this future proofs you to a certain extent. In terms of outs, most people "mix in the box" therefore 2 outs is usually fine.

Drivers
    - these are crucial. Without rock solid drivers the finest sounding interface will let you down. I have read so many threads on various forums with people tearing their hair out because their interface won't do what it says on the box. Very often the manufacturers blame your computer, your software, your taste in music or anything else to try & shift the blame sideways.

Mic Pres - again there can be a huge difference in quality.

A/D & D/A converters & clock - these will affect the sound quality.

To a large extent you get what you pay for but RME have a great reputation for solid drivers & good sound quality. The Focusrite Saffire series also are reported to sound good for the money but I don't know about drivers. I have also read good reports for the EMU stuff. Apparently their higher end interfaces use the same converters as the Digidesign 192s. Research as much as possible before you buy on the forums.

Enjoyed the first piece on your bebo space. Are you a Steve Reich/John Adams fan.

JJ
    www.jjvernon.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I'd go for the best one you can afford. I haven't heard either, but considering my experience with Mackie against Line 6, I'd pop for the Mackie first. Best thing to do it try get a go of them first. I'd also suggest RME or Lynx.

As for software, a lot of my pals who have done masters in this sort of thing use MAX MSP. Which looks like a right b*stard...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Sorry, should point out I only listened to the first piece. It's not that I didn't like the others! I just didn't get a chance to listen. Kids dinner time & all that...

JJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Hi JJ,
    Forgot about the EMU, we have one in the PC and it's not too shabby at all. No mic pre's though.
    Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

JJV wrote: »
    Hi there,

Audio interfaces can be tricky to get right. In my opinion there are a number of things to consider.

No. of ins/outs
    - how many tracks are you ever going to need to record at once. Some interfaces have adat ports that would allow you to add a further 8 inputs later & this future proofs you to a certain extent. In terms of outs, most people "mix in the box" therefore 2 outs is usually fine.

Drivers
    - these are crucial. Without rock solid drivers the finest sounding interface will let you down. I have read so many threads on various forums with people tearing their hair out because their interface won't do what it says on the box. Very often the manufacturers blame your computer, your software, your taste in music or anything else to try & shift the blame sideways.

Mic Pres - again there can be a huge difference in quality.

A/D & D/A converters & clock - these will affect the sound quality.

To a large extent you get what you pay for but RME have a great reputation for solid drivers & good sound quality. The Focusrite Saffire series also are reported to sound good for the money but I don't know about drivers. I have also read good reports for the EMU stuff. Apparently their higher end interfaces use the same converters as the Digidesign 192s. Research as much as possible before you buy on the forums.

Enjoyed the first piece on your bebo space. Are you a Steve Reich/John Adams fan.

JJ
    www.jjvernon.com

I sure am a fan of both - a big one :)

those samples are crazy...I was looking at them online actually - never seen a video of em being used - they really are mental!

thanks for that lol!

thanks for the info guys. I know it depends on basically how many instruments I'll be recording at one time etc. but I think I may go for the more expensive line 6 due to the ultra low latency, and a few other factors. I will definitively be looking into getting that software too!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

If you are using mac (which you should be) the apogee duet is probably the highest quality interface in your budget range.
    You are far better off going for less features but more quality.
    The line 6, like their amps, is trying to cram too much in and will certainly suffer in the most important areas (mic pre and converters).
    And just because they say it's ultra low latency, it doesn't mean it is!.
    I am a BIG fan of rme interfaces (they really do have ultra low latency).
    A bit out of your price range, but if you can stretch to a fireface, you will be glad you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

If you are using mac (which you should be) the apogee duet is probably the highest quality interface in your budget range.

Not Wrong...

The line 6, like their amps, is trying to cram too much in and will certainly suffer in the most important areas (mic pre and converters).
    And just because they say it's ultra low latency, it doesn't mean it is!.
    I am a BIG fan of rme interfaces (they really do have ultra low latency).
    A bit out of your price range, but if you can stretch to a fireface, you will be glad you did.

I dont use a Mac, nor will I ever. I'm not going to get into a Mac vs. Pc arguement, but needless to say I have my reasons for using a PC over a Mac.

Thanks for all the info guys. You've all given me a few ideas on what to be looking for and a few other options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I dont use a Mac, nor will I ever. I'm not going to get into a Mac vs. Pc arguement, but needless to say I have my reasons for using a PC over a Mac.

Thanks for all the info guys. You've all given me a few ideas on what to be looking for and a few other options :)

Ah go on add a pc post...you'll be the 1st!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Ah go on add a pc post...you'll be the 1st!!! ;)

ah no...we all no the mac vs. pc arguement never ends lol. i have my reasons for using a PC over mac :)

I'm buying all the equipment today anyway, so I'll be making my decision this evening on what I buy. Thanks for all the info lads

Advertisement