Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever caught the bouquet?

• 08-02-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

So your at a wedding, The call is made for all the single ladies to come up the front for the throw.

Do you go up? Do you knock someone out trying to catch it?

Have you ever caught it?

Comments

I've been at 2 weddings and there was no bouquet throwing
    that or I missed them because I didn't care...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd prefer to just get a drink or go out for a fag.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Catch it? I'm the one running away from it..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I got it once.

They didn't throw the bouquet until after dinner at the reception. It flew over the heads of all the girls and landed in my lap at the table I was sitting at.

I then had to put up with a girl pleading desperately to let her have it... she was amazingly pleased with herself when I handed it over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Once, I was at a wedding and was at the bar for the bouquet throwing.

The bride wellied it, I saw it hurtling towards my head, shrieked, ducked and it hit the barman in the face.

I have an irrational fear of bouquets being thrown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

No, havent been at a wedding in ages, plus its not a part of the wedding that interests me, im more a hold up the bar person :p

A lot of cousins have nearly killed other for it though!

I then had to put up with a girl pleading desperately to let her have it... she was amazingly pleased with herself when I handed it over.
    What??!! Holy sh*t, that's actually mind-boggling... Nah, it isn't actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

At my wedding the girl who caught it got engaged the next day....

Self-fulfilled prophecy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

When I was a flower girl at my aunt's wedding (I was around 4 or so) she threw the bouquet, me being an oblivious kid was standing around barefoot (posh shoes were hurting me) not aware of the stampede that would ensue, and got trampled by a hoarde of desperate women trying to catch it. I had puncturewounds in my feet from stupid stilletto heels (early 80s wedding) and spent the entire night bawling my head off. From that day on I have hated the "throwing the bouquet" ritual, and didn't throw my bouquet at my own wedding.

Don't think there is anything more cringeworthy than watching the poor guys whos girlfriends are up limbering up to trample the other girls to death to snare the bouquet, and everyone turning round to gloat at the look of terror on the poor guy's face when his GF catches it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

haha, last wedding i was at, the bride tried to fix it so i'd catch the bouquet. she really wants me and my fella to get married...

Heh, and of course you catching the bouquet means you and he are DEFINITELY gonna get married now!

Dudess wrote: »
    Heh, and of course you catching the bouquet means you and he are DEFINITELY gonna get married now!

But surely every woman's life ambition is to be married.

bluewolf wrote: »
    But surely every woman's life ambition is to be married.

Oh here we go again... another light hearted thread being torn apart by the womans movement in the ladies lounge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

exactly! fortunately i was jetlagged and tucked up in bed asleep by that stage, but yeah, i reckon if anyone could make us get married by sheer will power, it'd be her. my b/f's son even went to her to try to get her to get us to get hitched.

Quality wrote: »
    Oh here we go again... another light hearted thread being torn apart by the womans movement in the ladies lounge.

Who says I'm not being light hearted?
    Humour doesn't all have to be girly humour :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Silverfish wrote: »
    Once, I was at a wedding and was at the bar for the bouquet throwing.

The bride wellied it, I saw it hurtling towards my head, shrieked, ducked and it hit the barman in the face.

That's hillarious!! I tend to avoid the bouquet, I get enough hassle about not having a boyfriend from my family, don't want them coming up with some dream that I'm gonna meet the man of my dreams and get quickly engaged :rolleyes:

Quality, we're just saying we think the whole bouquet-throwing tradition is a load of arse.
    I think it's good that women are questioning it...

The way I see it, it is a little bit of fun rather than a load of arse..

However I have been at weddings where women have split trousers and elbowed each others in the face to get at the bouquet.

The way I see it, it is a little bit of fun rather than a load of arse..

However I have been at weddings where women have split trousers and elbowed each others in the face to get at the bouquet.

I do think it's fun and would love the fun of catching it, just not the backlash of slagging from the family!

• Advertisement

THAT'S what I and others have a gripe with...

THAT'S what I and others have a gripe with...

I don't they do it out of wanting to get married now, i think it's just their competitive streak showing, people can get very competitive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I haven't been to too many weddings, but when it comes time for the bouquet throwing, my strategy has always been to go up and then just stand there while the bouquet's thrown and let the other ladies trip over each other trying to catch it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i caught one, apparently i rugby tackled a bridesmaid to the ground no recollection of it myself

irishbird wrote: »
    i caught one, apparently i rugby tackled a bridesmaid to the ground no recollection of it myself

ha brilliant! thats the drink for ya ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

echosound wrote: »

Don't think there is anything more cringeworthy than watching the poor guys whos girlfriends are up limbering up to trample the other girls to death to snare the bouquet, and everyone turning round to gloat at the look of terror on the poor guy's face when his GF catches it.

:D

I've never caught the bouquet, but, i've never tried too hard either with my crazy sports skillz.

Tbh, i just go up there and stand around, each wedding i've been too had a bride who was into the traditions like that, so i figure as i'm getting my dinner i'd better sing a little for it. It can be a bit of fun, as long as there's no injuries.

Also, if the (gasp! who let them in?) single, bf-less women don't just get up there in the first place there's always a 'helpful' person who will get on the mic and hunt them down for the big deal throw.

In a way it's a bit icky - you know when animals are being auctioned and they're paraded around the ring? For the bouquet throw all the single womens are lined up on the dancefloor for the edification of the crowd. They might as well just read out everyone's measurements and get them to show their healthy gums and teeth.

One wedding tradition i like is sleeping with a little bit of the wedding cake under the pillow so you'll dream of the man you'll marry. It's never worked for me, but having a bit of cake is handy for the sugar rush needed to get me moving with the hangover the next morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ha! Reminds me of the last wedding I was at, where all the girls were leaping for it, bouncing a couple times in the air, and I caught it on the rebound. Should I be worried now?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Ha! Reminds me of the last wedding I was at, where all the girls were leaping for it, bouncing a couple times in the air, and I caught it on the rebound. Should I be worried now?:eek:

Aggh! You've caught weddingitis! Begone to the Weddings forum with you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Caught it at the last wedding I was at. Completely unexpected, caught it gracefully though:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I haven't been to any weddings since I was 8 and my aunt got married. She didn't throw the bouquet but put it on my grandfather's grave. I remember being so disappointed! Otherwise, no weddings for watna, my friends aren't quite at that stage yet, although two girls I went to school with got engaged recently, which is a bit scary!

Crumble Froo... can I come to your NZ wedding? Sounds like it good be a fun shotgun wedding if your bfs soon is pushing it!

Advertisement