Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property-bee gone daft! Firefox Price Tracking Add-On

Options
  • 08-02-2008 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Taken from the propertypin. Looks like a really useful tool for any looking to buy or rent at the moment
    Beerhunter from the UK forum globalhousepricecrash.com has kindly adapted his Firefox 2 add-on Property-Bee for use with www.daft.ie.
    The property-bee toolbar, is a new and exciting Firefox add-on which makes browsing property sites like Rightmove and Daft so much more enlightening.

It allows you to view a history of how the price and description change over time for properties you have viewed on property sites such as rightmove.co.uk and daft.ie
    Basically instead of your having to remember or write down this information Property-Bee stores it for you and embeds it into whatever property site you are looking at.
    No information is shared with others and all information is stored locally on your PC.

I would like to thank Beerhunter for all his fantastic work and congratulate him on the development of the best tool for house hunters that I have seen developed so far.

Happy browsing!

Download
    http://property-bee.com/downloads/property-bee.xpi

Property-Bee
    http://property-bee.com/

IPW Data
    http://irishpropertywatch.110mb.com/IPW.zip
    Once unzipped these data file need to be copied to a particular folder depending on your operating system.

1. Install/Update to the latest version Firefox.
    2. Download the application from the site http://property-bee.com/ ..
    3. Install the application
    4. Open MyComputer
    5. Select "tools"
    6. Select the tab "View"
    7. Select the option to "Show hidden files and folders"
    8. Download the IPW data from http://irishpropertywatch.110mb.com/IPW.zip
    9. Unzip the IPW data.
    10. Copy the files to the property-bee folder

Windows XP/2000
    C:\Documents and Settings\yyyyyyyy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\property-bee

Windows Vista
    C:\users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\property-bee

Windows 95/98/Me
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\property-bee

11. Browse Daft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭japjap

I like it.

Do you need to download the irishpropertwatch info regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its a little addictive, been browsing daft.ie all morning and am totally fascinated at how many properties have reduced , some multiple times. Its a real eye opener to see the properties and the drops on the same page.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

This is an excellent firefox extension!!

For Mac OSX users - if you do download the IPW data archive you can put the data into the following folder...
    Library -> 
      Application Support ->
        Firefox -> 
          Profiles -> 
            xxxxx.default -> 
              Property-bee

This is where all of the individual property csv files are kept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It's the best info tool out there for buyers who have had zilsch info at their disposal till now.
    Well done IPW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Zip file wont open, 404 error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

ya the link is dead, can someone point to the correct link? Does this data have to be constantly manually updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well once you have the initial install you have a baseline that's upgraded as you browse.

Looking at the property bee site it looks like the author plans to have some kind of distributed database or something in the future which is pretty cool if and when he gets it released.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

Would love to install this as I am currently househunting. Can you have Firefox and IE installed at the same time, if I install Firefox will it interfere with my IE? Just afraid of messing my computer up when I don't know that much about software.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

sadie9 wrote: »
    Would love to install this as I am currently househunting. Can you have Firefox and IE installed at the same time, if I install Firefox will it interfere with my IE? Just afraid of messing my computer up when I don't know that much about software.

there's no problem with having both installed at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

sadie9 wrote: »

You can get more details answers here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=9

People who like firefox tend to help other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

Thanks I installed this easily enough following the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

the zip data is gone ... someone must have complained... hee hee I have a copy

however it'll still store data for any gaff in daft if you open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

excellent, i would have paid for this!!!
    will be handy as i'm planning to buy ....... sometime;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Is it just me or has propertybee stopped working on individual property pages on daft.ie? I only see the propertybee summary on the search results pages now - not the individual property pages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Not just you, been like that ever since daft.ie changed the layout of their individual property pages.

I hope someone's working on it!

spockety wrote: »
    Not just you, been like that ever since daft.ie changed the layout of their individual property pages.

I hope someone's working on it!

Nice. That makes it almost useless on daft.ie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pranal

m_stan wrote: »
    Nice. That makes it almost useless on daft.ie :(

It was a useful tool to trace the property history on daft. sad to see it go:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

doesn't seem to work at all now that daft have updated their site design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Senna wrote: »
    excellent, i would have paid for this!!!
    will be handy as i'm planning to buy ....... sometime;)

I only discovered it a few days ago and they go updating their website today so I cant use it anymore :sickened:

Does anyone know if the property-bee developers are working on fixing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Does anybody still use this, I installed it and it doesnt seem to show me any history for ads I know have been up for days? I saw this thread over on the property-bee forums which indicates that it should still be partially working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Is this add on only useable with Firefox? If so is there one available for Chrome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Does anybody still use this, I installed it and it doesnt seem to show me any history for ads I know have been up for days? I saw this thread over on the property-bee forums which indicates that it should still be partially working?

Yes, mine works fine, just tested there. You need to be in a bee to get the history.
    RATM wrote: »
    Is this add on only useable with Firefox? If so is there one available for Chrome?

Haven't the foggiest!

I'm seeing changes now but only really on properties for sale, I'm only looking at rental properties and out of about 15 I looked at none had a history. I presume nobody else in the 'Bee' has looked at these rental properties which is why there is no history?

The history on properties for sale is quite funny, some of the ads are over a year old. It looks like the agents just change the details once a property has been sold so they don't have to pay for a new ad!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

It's working fine with rental property for me, just installed it two or three days ago

Yeah I'm getting the hang of it now, I think the first few rental properties I looked just had no history because the really had just been added or there wasn't any changes.

I found a funny one where the ad states reduced from €1870 to €1250 but you can see from the history the original asking price was only €1325, chancers!

Advertisement