Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista business and home editions

• 08-02-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Is this like the old Home and Pro editions of Windows, i.e. does the Business edition come with all the bells and whistles of the Home editions? I need a new laptop and am migrating from XP Pro. I don't actually run or work in a business, I got XP Pro originally to log onto the college network. Will Home Premium allow this or do you need Business? It is all very confusing!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

This might help. I'd go for Ultimate, or at the least, Home Premium, but everyone's needs are different I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Will they allow me to connect to a college network though? I don't really care about empty promises of making my own DVDs, having transparent menu bars and whatnot. I don't want to buy a laptop and then find I can't actually work in college with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Depends - does your college use a Windows domain? If so you'll need Business, Enterprise or Ultimate. Home versions can't join a domain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stephen wrote: »
    Depends - does your college use a Windows domain? If so you'll need Business, Enterprise or Ultimate. Home versions can't join a domain.
    Bitch about it to the college if you need to join a domain, it's a tax on using the network.

Seriously check with the college on the cost of academic vista, as a full time student it may be cheaper than getting it preinstalled - check first though.

XP home can't join a domain, but can map drives and get DHCP so the only thing missing really was stuff like having group policies and such like. I'd expect Vista to be the same.

setup a local user on your PC with the exact same username and password as the user on the domain
    net use X: \\server\share  /user:domain\%username%

Advertisement