Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane starting great when COLD but badly when warm?

Options
  • 08-02-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Whats that all about then? Its usually the other way round...

Pictures the scene:

Car is COLD - Turn the ignition, car starts and rev needle flicks up and then settles at about 1000rpm. Nice...

Car is WARM - Turn the ignition, car starts and rev needle flicks up and car either drops back to the borrom straight away (ie: the car stalls) or else it goes right down to about 200 - 300rpm (car shuddering on the verge of stalling) and slowly recovers over the course of about 5 seconds.

Would anyone have any idea why this would happen? Its a distinct pattern that I have noticed. It is fine 100% of the time when its cold and when its in any way warm it behaves as described above...

Hoping to sell / trade in the car at some stage so I would like to get this sorted beforehand. Its a 2000 Renault Megane Classic 1.4 16V, 136K miles and going strong.

Thanks...

Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Has it had any (or all) of the coil packs replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Yes in fact there definitely were coil packs replaced about 18 montyhs ago. I dont know if it was some of them or all of them, i dont even know what they do. The issue that led to them needing to be replaced was somewhat similar to the shuddering that the car does not when the revs are low but it was WAY worse then. The whole car was rocking forward and backwards, it never recovered like now, and it wasnt drivable. Whats happening now seems different i have to say, and the car is drivable, but i can see what you mantioned them. Maybe its a less serious version of the same thing. It has been like this for months at this stage...

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cork_ie

It is quite likely the crankshaft position sensor.This is a well known problem on these cars and usually shows up when car is hot, particularly after resting for 10 or 15 minutes.

Faulty coolant temp sensor is also a possibility - sensor value would read lower than true temp , causing computer to overfuel. This would cause difficult hot starting.
    I would suggest you go to a friendly local garage and have them plug in a fault code reader and check for fault codes. Ask them if they can also read out the Datalist and see if the temp reading is correct.

Advertisement