Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prices of Fiat 500

Options
  • 08-02-2008 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

According to Carzone the starting price of a Fiat 500 Popular model is 14,695 before delivery and other extra charges.

When I work out the pre-tax price it appears the pre-tax price is €400 more than for the same model in the UK.

selling price in ireland 14695
    less vrt @22.5%
    less VAT @21%

7900 sterling
    converted to euro
    less vat at 17.5%

That's a difference of 392.4 which I perfer to be investing toward metallic paint and alloys.

I chose UK because they are geographically distant from factory too and RHD.
    The prices on the continent are cheaper still but the Distributor could claim that the differential is due to engineering RHD and delivery costs.

Is this a rip-off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The cars could be sold to fiat uk in GBP rather than euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

the pre-tax price across E.U. is supposed to be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

do both cars hae the same spec? i know a lot of the old puntos and bravos had different spec in ireland than uk. small stuff like alloys

the spec is supposed to be the same across Europe.
    Pop, lounge and sport are the spec. levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Mailman wrote: »

That's a difference of 392.4 which I perfer to be investing toward metallic paint and alloys.

I chose UK because they are geographically distant from factory too and RHD.
    The prices on the continent are cheaper still but the Distributor could claim that the differential is due to engineering RHD and delivery costs.

Is this a rip-off?

How much would it cost you to buy a flight over to the uk - get a taxi to a Fiat dealer and then petrol cost to drive to a port and ferry home? I'd say €392.4 approximately so no rip-off I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭AdrianC

You are basing that on todays exchange rate, Fiat are not updating their UK price list to reflect the big changes in Euro/GBP over the past couple of months. If you were to use the rates from 3 months ago the British price would convert to 9412 (400 euro more)

Mailman wrote: »

selling price in ireland 14695
    less vrt @22.5%
    less VAT @21%

I think this should be:
    selling price in ireland: 14695
    less vrt @22.5% 11995 (14695/1.225) (you have to work it backwards??)
    less VAT @21% 9913 (11995/1.21)

Making it more of a "rip-off"

With that disparity in price between the UK and Ireland I think in a year or two's time you'll be able to seek out the 500 in one of the discount retailers in the UK and bring it in at a substantial discount to Irish dealer prices.

The German LHD version of same costs 8823 before tax so that's 590ish difference for putting it on a boat. Engineering RHD shouldn't have cost much as it is based heavily on a Panda platform which has already sold more than 1 million units.

AdrianC wrote: »
    I think this should be:
    selling price in ireland: 14695
    less vrt @22.5% 11995 (14695/1.225) (you have to work it backwards??)
    less VAT @21% 9913 (11995/1.21)

Making it more of a "rip-off"

your calc is wrong. 14695 is list price including vrt of 22.5 so price without vrt is 77.5% of 14695.

I just remembered I forgot that the OMSP is 10% below retail so my figures are wrong but not by much.

Ah, yeah sorry, my mistake

• Advertisement

Allowing for VRT at OMSP price and not Retail price I make the pre-tax price even higher than before at €9685.
    UK pre-tax price is €9019
    German pre-tax price is €8823
    French pre-ttc price is €8986.

How much would it cost you to buy a flight over to the uk - get a taxi to a Fiat dealer and then petrol cost to drive to a port and ferry home? I'd say €392.4 approximately so no rip-off I think.

Rip-off? yes. it's the operation of VRT as invisible barrier to trade that allows them to charge the premium, not our geographical remoteness from UK or Europe.
    I was on a business trip to UK last month and could have quite easily driven a car home to Ireland as it would have been convenient for me to do so. Petrol cost is negligible when the car is returning about 60mpg on the motorway, ferry is 100 quid. It's the VRT that is my big obstacle.

Advertisement